Light-O-Rama Forums

New to RGB

tonyloga

Hi Everyone 

I hope this is the correct forum and procedure. I have not played around with LOR for about 6 years now. I thought it would be easy to jump back in but I was using the 16 channel controller and all led lights, which I thought I was pretty good at. Life happened and I had to concentrate on the new family so I put my hobby to the side. Well the kids are bigger now and I found a couple of dollars so I ordered some new RGB controllers and lights. As I read in the forum, these might be a little

more than expected. I have purchased the following, 

16  port 100 string plug and show pixels with pixie16 controller 

8 port 100 string plug and show square pixels with pixie 8 controller 

(2) new ccp cosmic colour controller with 100 string. 
My set up would be as follows. 
the Ccp controller one for the front of the house and one for the back. Roofline 

16 controller to control 16 trees in back yard 

8 controller to control 8 trees in front yard. 
I have most everything set up and because the lights took a while to deliver up in Canada I honestly would like to have them just lit up

and perhaps a simple colour changing loop. 
many help would be appreciated. I have looked through the forums and help desk but I’m just confused on how to get these items in a sequence. 
Tony 

Its way late to start for this year. My best suggestion is for you to start watching the tutorial videos on the main LOR site as the newest software has a steep learning curve. Another option is to load S4 and learn it but the differences between it and S5 are extreme so you might be better off learning S5. You can buy premade sequences from LOR.

Ok, either way I think it will be a challenge. I have all the lights hooked up and controllers are assigned. I can turn them all on with the hardware utility and change the colours. In reality if I have to just turn the on with the hardware utility for this year so I can have lights. Would there be any Benifits of just making them dumb for the year so I can have lights?  I would probably stay with s5 if that was the case so then I could learn. Would it be easier to make them dumb RGB. I just need to find a tutorial that is simple. 
Thanks
Tony 

If you haven't already, take a look at the LOR video tutorials on S5 and also a YouTube channel called Luminous Harmony which has some good getting started vids.

Once you make a Preview it is not too difficult to do basic animations, color fades and shimmers for example. Motion effects are simple too if you are not trying to sync with music, Save that for next year.

For example, a single motion row for your tree would allow you to make it one color or apply a motion effect to the whole tree.

30 minutes ago, tonyloga said:

I have the pixie 16 and the pixie 2. Is it better to assign unit ids or leave them and have the software do it. 

Either way works fine. Just remember to label the controllers so you don't need to open pixie2 sealed case.

Remember Controller ID's are HEX.  . 'A' comes after '9'

Hi guys, thanks for all the help. I was able to get some lights running and slowly leaning the program. I’m just a little stuck on unit id’s fight now I have the following configuration. I have the following set up 

pixie 16 unit Id 3 

pixie 2 unit Id 4. 
I had set this up before I read about the unit ids for RGB lights. I made some tree props and ran the sequencer and I have lights on the 8 trees I have set up on the pixie 16 and on my roof lights set up on the pixie 2 . I know I have some conflicts because the roof lights are running on the tree props I set up but I was so happy I have lights I didn’t want to touch anything. I would like to do it right but not sure exactly how to set up the unit ids for the 2 controllers. I also have 2 more pixie controllers I would like to add after I work this out. 
Thank you 

32 minutes ago, tonyloga said:

Hi guys, thanks for all the help. I was able to get some lights running and slowly leaning the program. I’m just a little stuck on unit id’s fight now I have the following configuration. I have the following set up 

pixie 16 unit Id 3 

pixie 2 unit Id 4. 
I had set this up before I read about the unit ids for RGB lights. I made some tree props and ran the sequencer and I have lights on the 8 trees I have set up on the pixie 16 and on my roof lights set up on the pixie 2 . I know I have some conflicts because the roof lights are running on the tree props I set up but I was so happy I have lights I didn’t want to touch anything. I would like to do it right but not sure exactly how to set up the unit ids for the 2 controllers. I also have 2 more pixie controllers I would like to add after I work this out. 
Thank you 

NO Pixies consume ID's by the number of PORTS

if you makE your Pixie 16 ID3, it consume 4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F,10,11,12

Your Pixie 2 needs to then be 13 (and it consumes 14 )

Hey Everyone. 
Thanks for all the help. It was really appreciated. I was able to get all the lights up and running. Just doing colour this year and will work on some sequencing next year. I have an old 16 channel ac controller and a couple original ccb and controllers.( 4 wire). Just wondering if these can be added to my system with s5. I have left unit Id 1 open, can I put the 16 channel on # 1. For the rgb  original cosmic controller does it follow the same standard with unit ids as the new ones. Find my last unit Id and change them to the ones after. Wasn’t sure if the old ones can change unit Id. 
Cheers

Tony