Light-O-Rama Forums

New Data Control Cables

jfuller8400

I've always used standard cat5 riser cable to run between my controllers.  But in the last couple of years I've really started to notice that the show has been having more issues (lagging, missed commands, etc.) and I've been getting a lot of breaks in the outer jackets (as well as one case where a critter completely bit through the cable!)  So this year I decided to totally rework all of my data control cables and use an outdoor/direct burial rated cat 5 cable.  I really like how they turned out and made a little video of the project to share:

What I do in all of my builds is HC sells an adapter Jack.

It plugs in to your nw jack inside the controller and then you drill a hole in your enclosure and it fastens in just like a strain relief

This does two things

In the event a deer or human trips over the cable it will not break the own jack.

Two- you don’t have to open the enclosure every time you need to disconnect. Prevent human error risk of shutting the cable in this breaking the jack.

Less reflow work for a solder station.

I have also started replacing all of my cables with the round 550 MHz- (I think) round cable. Just like the ones LOR includes in some kits.

The hurricane dragged some of my props making serious kinks in my cables.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Thank you for sharing. Love the video. Just ordered some outdoor rated cabling. Michigan weather so I know exactly what you are talking about weather wise.  Last year was my first year with LOR controllers so  I just hung the controllers on my porch railing and used standard Cat5e cable. Love your tote idea for controllers, but living in my urban neighborhood I'm afraid the totes would walk off. Did you move to the totes because you got some water in the controllers or was this just in case?

7 minutes ago, LaughsBrightly said:

Thank you for sharing. Love the video. Just ordered some outdoor rated cabling. Michigan weather so I know exactly what you are talking about weather wise.  Last year was my first year with LOR controllers so  I just hung the controllers on my porch railing and used standard Cat5e cable. Love your tote idea for controllers, but living in my urban neighborhood I'm afraid the totes would walk off. Did you move to the totes because you got some water in the controllers or was this just in case?

FYI- I have many controllers that are outside year round. No water issues.

Well I had the hurricane two  weeks ago flip over my matrix and water got in ti my vents the pixie 16 and 8 that control the matrix was flooded, the enclosure was full.

Opened the door for my Halloween show in hopes it would dry out , it did and the matrix didn’t skip a beat.

Just in case you was worried about water. Normal controllers do not need vents. 

JR

17 hours ago, LaughsBrightly said:

I put mine in the totes from the beginning, more to have just another layer of protection from the elements.  Yes the controllers are waterproof and thus don't really need it but I'm often dealing with up to several feet of snow when I take my show down and this way the controllers aren't all covered in snow.  I can also put up to three controllers in a single tote so I don't need to purchase/store a bunch of external stands.  Plus the totes act as storage in the off-season.

• The topic was locked