Light-O-Rama Forums

Enhanced Network Programming

DocBrown86
Go to solution Solved by k6ccc,

I thought I was being clever and added some Motion Effect rows to certain groups of lights that are standard lights, ie) 8 - 1 channel ghost props in a group.

Now when I try to run the sequence it tells me those channels can only be run if they are on an enhanced network. I tried switching it to enhanced via the Network Preferences area, but only 2 of my 14 controllers responded after that. I'm guessing the others are too old?

Anyways, is there anything I can do to resolve this and get it going? Or do I  have to go back and reprogram all of this stuff....... 

• Solution

Only the Gen 3 controllers can operate on an Enhanced network.  No option on the older controllers.

Sorry.

That is why I replaced my couple of older controllers a few years ago.

6 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Only the Gen 3 controllers can operate on an Enhanced network.  No option on the older controllers.

Sorry.

That is why I replaced my couple of older controllers a few years ago.

The error message mentioned a firmware upgrade, but I have seen numerous times on here that you shouldn't do that unless LOR tells you to.

If you have older Gen 3 controllers, they may need a firmware update in order to use Enhanced networking.  If you have Gen 1 or Gen 2 controllers, they can not be updated.  Should have mentioned that in my previous post.

8 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

If you have older Gen 3 controllers, they may need a firmware update in order to use Enhanced networking.  If you have Gen 1 or Gen 2 controllers, they can not be updated.  Should have mentioned that in my previous post.

I can't believe I have to ask this, but would you know how to confirm the Gen #? I know for a fact I don't have gen 1, but not sure how to tell the other two.

4 minutes ago, DocBrown86 said:

I can't believe I have to ask this, but would you know how to confirm the Gen #? I know for a fact I don't have gen 1, but not sure how to tell the other two.

"1600 series Generation 1 or 2
Metal enclosure and no LED display inside

1600 series Generation 3
Metal enclosure with LED display inside

CTB-16PC series Generation 1 or 2
Typically in a plastic enclosure, red status light and has a jumper block to the right of the data cable connectors.

If it’s a CTB-16PC series Generation 3
Typically in a plastic enclosure, green status light and has a jumper block to the left of the data cable connectors."

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DocBrown86 said:

I thought I was being clever and added some Motion Effect rows to certain groups of lights that are standard lights, ie) 8 - 1 channel ghost props in a group.

Now when I try to run the sequence it tells me those channels can only be run if they are on an enhanced network. I tried switching it to enhanced via the Network Preferences area, but only 2 of my 14 controllers responded after that. I'm guessing the others are too old?

Anyways, is there anything I can do to resolve this and get it going? Or do I  have to go back and reprogram all of this stuff....... 

Simply split your Network: Enhanced (usually on a RED adapter) and the other (could be either adapter.) You did not list your Controller Models. It may be a simple FW update on some that were tweeners

14 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Simply split your Network: Enhanced (usually on a RED adapter) and the other (could be either adapter.) You did not list your Controller Models. It may be a simple FW update on some that were tweeners

Can I split the network with only one interface?

I checked, all are Gen 3, the versions vary from 1.02 up to 1.15

The controllers that did respond were version 1.15

I also have a CMB24D with 1.02, and 4 LOR 50 Watt RGB Floods all at 1.05

No! Splitting need separate adapters AND cables (2 groups)

You sure can update your CMB24's to 1.05

The FNetwork speed chart says Enhanced with the latest FW

You have the Pro Grade (metal box) controllers? That is the only one that lists 1.15. You might update those too

I really think you need 2 networks as not everything is going to like Enhanced. Depending on your layout, you might need only a few CAT5 cable (at leat 1 from the first controller on NetA to the PC

8 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

No! Splitting need separate adapters AND cables (2 groups)

You sure can update your CMB24's to 1.05

The FNetwork speed chart says Enhanced with the latest FW

You have the Pro Grade (metal box) controllers? That is the only one that lists 1.15. You might update those too

I really think you need 2 networks as not everything is going to like Enhanced. Depending on your layout, you might need only a few CAT5 cable (at leat 1 from the first controller on NetA to the PC

Yeah the metal boxes have firmware all over the place too. Only the 2 metal boxes with 1.15 were responsive.

I do have 3 older resi controllers (plastic case), but they are gen 3.

It sounds like my shortcut in programming is making my setup more complex haha. Or more exciting I guess. 

Thanks everyone. Got the firmware files downloaded and will upgrade all of them tomorrow and hope for the best! Keeping my fingers crossed something weird doesn't happen during the upgrades, because that's how my luck goes haha.