Light-O-Rama Forums

Software to create motion effects picture file

cdnlor

I wanted to add some picture motion effects on my mega tree (20 stings of 50.)  Software suggestions for creating the images?  I tried creating some images on www.pixilart.com.  I created 20x50 pixel images but when I load them into the motion effects editor the preview looks similar but not exactly like the image I imported.  For example, I created a very simple flag image that is basically 3 different colored bands.  My source file looks ok but when I import into the motion effects editor, some pixels appear to have been shaded and I they don't appear to be the same distinct 3 color bands.  What do people create their images with?

9 hours ago, cdnlor said:

I wanted to add some picture motion effects on my mega tree (20 stings of 50.)  Software suggestions for creating the images?  I tried creating some images on www.pixilart.com.  I created 20x50 pixel images but when I load them into the motion effects editor the preview looks similar but not exactly like the image I imported.  For example, I created a very simple flag image that is basically 3 different colored bands.  My source file looks ok but when I import into the motion effects editor, some pixels appear to have been shaded and I they don't appear to be the same distinct 3 color bands.  What do people create their images with?

You can just use photos directly from google.... I’m sure you can find what you are looking for there. If they need to be cropped or edited a bit you could always do that in photoshop. 

For creating a image from scratch you could also use photoshop. But based on what you said above I think you are under the impression your images must be 20px to 50px to match your free. That’s not the case. Pixel size when generating images does not directly relate to the use of pixel lights. I would create your photo at a larger size and let sequencer scale it down to optimize the photo based on your tree size. 

If you’re still having issues feel free to drop the photo you are working with here, I wouldn’t mind taking a look at it for you. 

I just started motion effects last year and I can say i have mixed success.   A lot depends on the image.   Last year the tree was only 24 X 25 at 4 inches and  I got a few images to come out pretty clear, but i found i really had to mess with them.  For example, i would go in and make a face all one color.  That way, you werent dealing with 50 different flesh shades in 50 pixels.   This year i went to 24 X 50 at 2 inches and it makes quite a difference or so it seems.   As noted above, with these, I have actually had better success using a larger image and letting LOR scaling it down.   But the more busy, the more interfernce you can get.   But even with this, some images seem to not scale well so its a bit of trial and error.   A few examples from last year in my signature. 

Thanks for the responses.  I never realized you could let the software do the scaling.  I thought I had tried that once but didn't get the results I was expecting.  However I tried importing one or two samples today with better results.

I use Paint.net and resize the canvas to the same dimensions of my matrix.  this way each pixel in Paint will be a pixel node in real life.  Some pics i import and have to redraw a bit to make it look like i want, but most of my pics I draw myself.