Light-O-Rama Forums

Outdoor case

AllAmericanJock

Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to get my head wrapped around all of this stuff. I got a light controller and it comes in a heavyduty plastic case with a seal around the door. My question is should I get another case to put this case in, just to make sure it's double protected from the weather. I live in Portland Oregon and the winter here is extremely rainy. I just want to make sure that it's fully protected and weatherproof. Or any other way to help protect the light controller. Thank you. 

The lor cases are good to go as they are.  Just make sure the cables are facing down.

Mine have been outdoors for 8 years with no problems.

Edited by 75redman
Addition

Thank you, one more question. I got the Gen4 mini director. What the difference between the Gen4 mini director and the N4-G4-MP3 Director? Thank you. 

3 minutes ago, AllAmericanJock said:

Thank you, one more question. I got the Gen4 mini director. What the difference between the Gen4 mini director and the N4-G4-MP3 Director? Thank you. 

Someone else will have to chime in on this one as I have not used a mini director.

15 minutes ago, AllAmericanJock said:

Answered in the other thread you started.

https://forums.lightorama.com/topic/52907-gen4-and-n4-g4-mp3-directors/?do=findComment&comment=498257

(Ps. Asking the same question in multiple threads will only make things more confusing.)

Just mout your case UPRIGHT and have the unused dangley cords hang straight down (~18") , to keep the case out of the splash zone (the cord entry is not sealed.

The folk in Florida get WIND and Rain 😄

18 hours ago, AllAmericanJock said:

Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to get my head wrapped around all of this stuff. I got a light controller and it comes in a heavyduty plastic case with a seal around the door. My question is should I get another case to put this case in, just to make sure it's double protected from the weather. I live in Portland Oregon and the winter here is extremely rainy. I just want to make sure that it's fully protected and weatherproof. Or any other way to help protect the light controller. Thank you. 

I'm in Florida and one of my controllers has been outside for close to 10 years now.  I usually leave them out year round {all controllers}, but making changes and some other factors I've taken all but one inside, and that's because of where it's located, but still out in the winds and rains.  No issues ever leaving them outside as long as you do as others have stated, make sure they are upright with the cords hanging down, although you can lay them flat on the ground, door facing up, but just make sure they are inside a plastic garbage bag or a tote that's been weatherproofed, as some folks do use these without issues.

Now one thing I do with all my AC Controllers {CTB16PC} is on every dangle{channel cord} that is unused I cap off the end of the cord with plastic child proof outlet caps, these keep rain, mud and other debris out of the female channel cord ends on the controller.  It also help keep the copper inside the cords from turning green and corroding.   Been using these child proof outlet caps for years and my cord dangles are still just as shiny and bright as when they were purchased new back in 2010!   So I highly recommend them and then use them on all the dangles in the off season if the controller won't be used during that time.    Some of use them for landscape lighting throughout the year, so they serve double duty for some of us.  But all unused channel dangle cords will get capped off at the end of the holiday season.   These also help GFCI's from tripping too, especially if you use them on your light strands at every male/female pass through connection, and the female plug connector at the end of each light strand at the end of that channel.   Been using these for 10 years now and they've kept my display running fine in the heaviest of rains and thunderstorms.

Just some extra precautions I use on my CTB16PC controllers to keep them in good working order.

• Thanks 1