Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Lighting Question

gc75067

I have a Marty fan that I plan on moving over to RGB for 2021 (unless I somehow figure out time for this year).  The current goal is to use a single string of Smart 100 RGB to go from bottom/center to the outside/top, back to bottom/center, and then back to the outside. I will have 16 of of these. Where I believe my issue is there is 6-7 inches between where these would connect at the outside/top in fold 2 that I would not want lights. My question is, can I cut the string after the last pixel, run a "jumper" between there and where I want the next pixel to be (6-7 inches or so away), and then continue the string? I'm hoping this makes sense but probably as clear as mud. Let me know your thoughts. If you need me to create a diagram I can probably through something together.

If I follow you correctly, a single seven inch extension should be no problem. The key will be to create a custom model in Preview to faithfully represent your prop.

Use a decent gauge wire for lead ins and the extension to minimise voltage drop. 18 gauge is typically used.

Always a good idea to test custom wired strings before you make a bunch of them.

1 hour ago, gc75067 said:

I have a Marty fan that I plan on moving over to RGB for 2021 (unless I somehow figure out time for this year).  The current goal is to use a single string of Smart 100 RGB to go from bottom/center to the outside/top, back to bottom/center, and then back to the outside. I will have 16 of of these. Where I believe my issue is there is 6-7 inches between where these would connect at the outside/top in fold 2 that I would not want lights. My question is, can I cut the string after the last pixel, run a "jumper" between there and where I want the next pixel to be (6-7 inches or so away), and then continue the string? I'm hoping this makes sense but probably as clear as mud. Let me know your thoughts. If you need me to create a diagram I can probably through something together.

You can cut, extend, splice (within limits). Smart node have no address built in. The peel off their commands from the packet and pass the rest OUT (bucket brigade).  Total count, Voltage drop (more an issue @5V) and the nodes should all be from the same batch (color and RGB order)

5 hours ago, gc75067 said:

thanks both. jumper cable i have is 18g and running 12v power supplies and lights.

You should be fine.