Light-O-Rama Forums

Complete Noob Starting With Nothing

DeBoardfam

Hey guys and gals.  I have been researching LOR for about a year now  It is really hard to find a lot of info about the hardware available.  I am an IT Manager so I understand most of the concept, just not hardware. Definitely going pixels. I want to start with outlining a few pieces of the house and I think I am set on ribbons on that so they have the close together look.  I see people recommend the pixie controller as a start.  Would you buy that directly from LOR? What about the ribbons?  I know there is RBG guy and other people selling strands (doesn't seem to be the ribbons though).   Anyone have pictures of ribbons versus the square pixels?  Any other gothchas? What about extensions.. should I plan for those ahead of time?  

Did some reading in other posts, but seemed they already had some hardware to start with and built off that. 

Thanks!

19 minutes ago, DeBoardfam said:

It is really hard to find a lot of info about the hardware available.

You can find the entire line of LOR hardware at http://www1.lightorama.com/. Just look under the Products dropdown and you will find them. All of the documentation can be found here.

You can find all sorts of package deals direct from the LOR Store as well.

The links Don supplied you are your best option for learning the Hardware aspect of this hobby.   Before I ever got into RGB lighting, as LOR created new RGB lighting controllers, as well as other new items, I downloaded the documentation for all of them, including those I haven't bought and may not ever buy.  Just so I can read about the LOR items available, how they work, how to set them up, as well as any additional hardware/software or accessories I may need to make them all work..  You can get most everything from the LOR store from the links Don supplied.

Once you make your decision and options, buy what you need, you'll still have questions and there are a multitude of folks here that can help guide you along as you learn.

Even before you purchase a controller, I'd suggest downloading a version of the software you want to start with and learn it.  The Demo version is great for learning, but won't control lights or anything until you buy a software license for whatever level you want.

Going into Pixels, I'd definitely recommend you purchase the PRO license when you're ready, as that is the best one for RGB lighting of all kinds, and also gives you all options available to you that the software has available.   As for which version, that depends on you, S5 is more complex and has a lot more features, but learning it can sometimes be daunting and confusing.  S4 {version 4.4.6} is a lot easier, but it doesn't have a lot of features that S5 offers.  All depends on how well you adapt at using software and learning it.  S5 would be the best version to start with for one that is just going into this hobby.  But if it becomes too much or complicated, you can always remove it and go to the highest previous version level{S4 Ver. 4.4.6}, as your license, once purchased, will work with ANY of the LOR Software Suites prior to S5.

Good Luck and hope to see you in the Hobby soon.

7 hours ago, Orville said:

The links Don supplied you are your best option for learning the Hardware aspect of this hobby.   Before I ever got into RGB lighting, as LOR created new RGB lighting controllers, as well as other new items, I downloaded the documentation for all of them, including those I haven't bought and may not ever buy.  Just so I can read about the LOR items available, how they work, how to set them up, as well as any additional hardware/software or accessories I may need to make them all work..  You can get most everything from the LOR store from the links Don supplied.

Once you make your decision and options, buy what you need, you'll still have questions and there are a multitude of folks here that can help guide you along as you learn.

Even before you purchase a controller, I'd suggest downloading a version of the software you want to start with and learn it.  The Demo version is great for learning, but won't control lights or anything until you buy a software license for whatever level you want.

Going into Pixels, I'd definitely recommend you purchase the PRO license when you're ready, as that is the best one for RGB lighting of all kinds, and also gives you all options available to you that the software has available.   As for which version, that depends on you, S5 is more complex and has a lot more features, but learning it can sometimes be daunting and confusing.  S4 {version 4.4.6} is a lot easier, but it doesn't have a lot of features that S5 offers.  All depends on how well you adapt at using software and learning it.  S5 would be the best version to start with for one that is just going into this hobby.  But if it becomes too much or complicated, you can always remove it and go to the highest previous version level{S4 Ver. 4.4.6}, as your license, once purchased, will work with ANY of the LOR Software Suites prior to S5.

Good Luck and hope to see you in the Hobby soon.

Another 'Hardware Tip": There are few 'Standards'. This is even more so with Smart nodes. DO FOLLOW Orville's advice and download the device Manuals.

One of the things that I saw in the Pixie Manual: COLOR ORDER, there are different builds (internal arrangements of components) of nodes (not bad, just different). You need to stick with a single 'color order' (that usually locks you to a few vendors). A Pixie board can only be set to support a single color order and/or Chip Type. IMHO a reason that 2 @ Pixie4 can be better than a Pixie 8 or 16: You need to support different Chip types or color orders Or port Voltage.  Which brings up SPARES. You want to keep spare nodes (be sure to mark where they get used) as like paint, the LEDs can vary in color and intensity. If you splice in a replacement, you want it to match pretty close. You can't count on coming back a while later and getting more of the exact batch

Connectors: Pretty much proprietary layout (pin assignments, body keys or sex). There are some vendors that list compatible 'styles'.

Whatever you buy, PLAN FIRST. are all your choices compatible? There are a few things that mix-n-match can still be done without pain :/

Edited by TheDucks

Definitely will do that on the manuals. 

The hardware is more a question of specs. I can't seem to find length of each for example unless I am missing it. I am wanting to put together a "starter kit" per se to outline my house and I can't seem to figure out what will work best.  They don't have a plug and play bundle of the ribbons (I guess I could build one) like they do the pixel packages on the store.  Would ribbons be a good or bad idea for a house outline?  Mostly just hoping for a package suggestion for an outline of the house/garage etc to get me started. 

I like the idea of the demo software. I will do that and learn there. I have watched many videos and looks to be something I could pick up easy with my technical background. 

Thanks for all your help, it is greatly appreciated!  I am antsy and have been looking at LOR for over a year now.. and ready to bite the bullet.. but with looking at the $1000 package starter deals, want to make sure I am making the right decision before dropping my first grand on what I expect to be an addicting hobby. 

Got it. I have watched probably a blue zillion videos of houses. Is there a good video or pic that shows the difference say in a square pixel on an outline versus a ribbon? 

If the pixels look like what I want to achieve, then I could buy something like this to get started right?

http://store.lightorama.com/12vbl16sqpip.html

13 minutes ago, Don said:

Look on any product page. http://store.lightorama.com/50sqpi5vwh.html The lengths are mentioned.

Just swap pixels for ribbons and you'll have your package deal. Personally, I recommend pixels to most clients unless they have a really, really good use case for ribbons.

And I don't see a length?  Or am I assuming 50 pixels at 4" spacing means 200" of lights? 

4 minutes ago, DeBoardfam said:

Or am I assuming 50 pixels at 4" spacing means 200" of lights? 

Correct, assuming 4 inches. Some vendors will make custom spaced strings at no extra cost.. You can however cut strings to any number of pixels that fit your prop, My props range from 18 to 108 pixels.

Strips are much shorter, and IMO much more fragile and harder to cut and solder than bullet or square pixels.

Awesome. Thanks Phil. The more I dig the more I lean toward pixels, just didn't want to see a lot of space between them. My house is pretty close to the street so wouldn't be far enough back to look like a continuous stream. 

Awesome. So could do the spacing as 1" and not worry about it. Will look like a continuous stream.  

I think I am going to look for some used controllers on ebay today to see if I can get more bang for my buck instead of getting that 16 strand kit directly from Lor. 

What if I wanted to do a setup on my inside tree?  Any specific recommendations? Would be a separate setup.. jus wanted a similar kind of control. 

Same setup can control inside and outside, but you need to get a communication cable cat 5 from the PC to successive controllers if using LOR controllers. So, hole in the wall time.

Some people use stand alone players instead of a PC to run the show and the controllers daisy chain from that. Still need a PC to make sequences and set stuff up though.

I use a PC to run my show, with three different network types through three Cat 5's through the wall to a RJ45 terminal box.

Usual disclaimer, different protocols all use a Cat 5 cable but will start to smoke if plugged into the wrong one.

You may want to read up on E1.31 over Ethernet as an alternate to LOR's RS 485 protocol.

Ribbons are fragile. They need to be securely mounted where they do not flex. Also, repair is a lot more tricky as distance between segments (cut points) is fixed.

Bullets in mounting strips is easier to repair: Snip close to the failed (leaves lots of lead behind), the splice in the new node.

FWIW ribbons come in 5M rolls for common density (High density get shorter, have higher Amps)

Definitely sold on bullet pixels and the strips for my starter setup after all of your inputs.  Putting them closer together with the strip solves my concern.  What would be a good starter package that is the best bang for the buck? 

Seems it may be cheaper to get the controller separate from the runs or should I just stick with the prepackaged LOR kits? 

I also see people using xlights instead of showtime.. I want to make sure i am putting my best foot forward when starting and won't want to change directions later.  If you could start all over again and wanted bullet pixels, where would you start hardware/software wise? 

Thanks!

6 hours ago, DeBoardfam said:

Definitely sold on bullet pixels and the strips for my starter setup after all of your inputs.  Putting them closer together with the strip solves my concern.  What would be a good starter package that is the best bang for the buck? 

Seems it may be cheaper to get the controller separate from the runs or should I just stick with the prepackaged LOR kits? 

I also see people using xlights instead of showtime.. I want to make sure i am putting my best foot forward when starting and won't want to change directions later.  If you could start all over again and wanted bullet pixels, where would you start hardware/software wise? 

Thanks!

If it were me, I'd stick with LOR products.  I would also recommend buying NEW and not used when starting out, as the service LOR supplies on their products is extremely good.  They support there product line much better than many others, and buying used can be problematic, you may get a used controller and may/may not come with the matching RGB lights, but the strand could have bad pixels in it, the controller may have issues that isn't divulged.    

If you're going to buy used LOR items, I'd suggest looking over the LOR forums here to see what may be available.   I'm not too keen on eBay or other sites selling used LOR products.   My 5 LOR RGB Controllers {older 5V version, CCB100-D} are all used, one was given to me by a friend and 4 I bought used via the LOR forums here.   All came with RGB lights, some were bullet nodes and some were the C7/C9 style of bulb.

And for software, I'd stick with the LOR Software Suite, getting help with the LOR software here is really great and, again, there are a multitude of folks here that can help when an issue or question you have may arise.

Just my .05¢ worth.

Orville, good info.  Makes sense.  

Based on that, would this be a good starter kit if I want bullet pixels? Would I need anything else big hardware wise (other than extensions, and mounting stuff (I like those strips that Phil posted earlier)

This one:

http://store.lightorama.com/12v16bupipaw1.html

3 hours ago, DeBoardfam said:

Orville, good info.  Makes sense.  

Based on that, would this be a good starter kit if I want bullet pixels? Would I need anything else big hardware wise (other than extensions, and mounting stuff (I like those strips that Phil posted earlier)

This one:

http://store.lightorama.com/12v16bupipaw1.html

That would be an excellent starter kit and if you need help once you receive it please feel free to ask.

The pixie16 is by far the easiest pixel controller to use.

My beta test gen 1 2017 has been running 24/7 since I built and tested it. Even better for you LOR now sells fully assembled units.

You will also need a Pro License and purchase at least 1 Red high speed adapter. 2 will give you a spare.

I have a great tutorial with video in the General Hardware section at the very top. I will work on any pixie controller and either S4 or S5 software versions. I made it while using S4 but I now also use S5 and setup is the same.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Personally I like the Pixcon16 as its a lot more of a controller. If you are planning a show for this year, you are nearly out of time. My first year, I started in January as everyone usually suggests. I did 96 AC channels as Pixels were just coming out back then. The infrastructure was one of the two most time-consuming parts of the show such as cabling, wiring, power supplies, props, RF Transmitter, speakers to the front yard and a radio frequency sign. The second part is the actual sequencing. The average person takes 3 hours for every 1 minute of music. Yes, with the correct license, you can purchase sequences then reassign strings/strings/nodes as you desire but some LOR sequences from their store, are not modifiable. Using SS (Superstar), you can create just about anything you wish for pixels but it requires the correct licenses. So if this is going to become a serious hobby, get the appropriate licenses up front. Due to the costs, most of us suggest going easy on yourself the first year. Putting up your show is another time-consuming thing to plan on. In my case, it takes me two weeks to get it all out there, connected and tested. This is NOT including weather issues such as rain stopping the process.

Great info Grant. Definitely doing lowkey at first.  It is an expensive hobby and a big initial buy in.  I ordered the pixie16 kit I linked to above. $86 in shipping.. ouch.. but.. its on its way!