Light-O-Rama Forums

New Comp help please

kingfish

Want to use new laptop, I always used comm 3 in past, why I don’t know other than it worked, trying to set up new laptop, and I can’t get past

Comm listener error 3: Comm Winsock / 10053: Conection is aborted due to timeout or other failure

hooked up old laptop to box get green steady light 

Assuming Win 10, and that you installed the LOR USB drivers. Available here, bottom of page RS485 Drivers.

http://www1.lightorama.com/firmware-updates/

Right click on start button, choose Device manager. open the Ports section.

You may see a Regular Com port, probably com 1, and a USB Serial port and its Com Port number. That is the one you will use in Hardware utility for the LOR com port setting.

On the left of the HU; click the dropdown and choose the new port number.  Don't use auto configure.

The Com port# is not what is important. The LOR Network (name) IS.

Right click the Bulb: Network preferences: Use this to match the Com to your Network assignments (really simple if all yo have is "Regular".

💡 If you have more than 1 adapter:Label those with the LOR network name (and com if you bounce between systems)

Likely the new computer assigned a different port number to the LOR USB adapter OR you did not install the drivers for it.  As I recall, normally a LOR installation installs the drivers, but if not, you can get it in this help page:

http://www1.lightorama.com/communication/

BTW, I agree with Phil on using the Device Manager to find the port number rather than the auto-configure in the Hardware Utility as the above linked page suggests.

Okey updated everything I thought would work for me what I have is a bunch of gen 3, 2ccp  each with 2-50 which I hope to get working this year also I picked up a holiday Cora  4 ribbon arch also hope to get running this year.

do I want this new laptop set at comm 1 or comm 3

lets start there

Look in Device manager, and see what Com port is reported by Windows for the USB Com port. That is the number you will need to tell LOR, in HU and Network settings.

Okey here is what’s going on 

under other devices I have 

FT23R USB UART

Driver is unavailable

when I unplug my usb 485 it disappeared 

please help with next step

I am basically computer stupid to add

3 minutes ago, kingfish said:

If I click on it my only choice is to remove device

Do that. Then install the LOR driver (you can download it from LOR) BEFORE connecting the adapter.

(the driver is where settings gets done.

I have never heard of using COM1 or 2  (I think those were used for the Keyboard in the old days. Serial ports /modems were 3+4

AGAIN Your sequence has no knowledge of which COM port is used. The network utility MAPS  COM to LOR. That is all you need to line up

You don't need to do anything in the Device manager once the driver is installed.. Just note the Com Port number on the item that disappeared when you unplugged it, and use it in the HU to test, and you will need to open Network Preferences and use the com port number there. In the LOR tab click on Regular and in the box that opens, choose COM whatever you found in Device manager. 

Got driver installed thank you to all who gave advice greatly appreciated 

taking a break but I am sure I’ll be back in a bit with another question

thanx again

3 hours ago, TheDucks said:

I have never heard of using COM1 or 2  (I think those were used for the Keyboard in the old days. Serial ports /modems were 3+4

Back in the old days, "REAL" serial ports were Com1 and Com2 (back when computers often had two).  Even this two year old Dell Desktop which has a "real" serial port uses Com1 for that.  Most laptops haven't had real serial ports in years, but desktops generally do - and it's normally Com1.

When all done it ended up comm3 after downloading driver. dell laptop picked up late last year could not get setup in time used old last year want new this year, thanx for all the help 1st problem solved

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

I got myself confused :(

Com 1 and 2 Used Int 4 and 3  (when was the last time we had to set an INT? Can we say ISA bus)

Yea, I remember those...

• The topic was locked