Light-O-Rama Forums

Singing Face Trees New to using

jmraider

I am considering purchasing at least one Singing Face Tree.  I have been a LOR user since 2006 and would like to venture out to some of the newer items.  I have a PRO license and have been using a CCR tree for the past several years, along with an old fashion Mega Tree.  I use about 128 channels along with the CCR pixel tree and two CCR strips.  Any words of wisdom about incorporating the Singing Face Trees into my programing.  If I read correctly the Singing Face trees come with there own controller and are ready to work, all I need to do is incorporate the controller into my sequences, similar as I did with my CCR tree several years ago.  Am I on the correct track.  Any words of wisdom is always appreciated.  I do have a You Tube channel showing my displays:  https://www.youtube.com/user/raiderjm

Also need to know do I need to upgrade my individually controllers, in order to use with the Singing Faces.  My controllers have been working for years and still work.  I have some purchased back in 2007 and more recent, I believe the newer G3 controllers.  Words of wisdom would be great!  I was planning to go to the Vegas show last summer, to get up to speed on newer tech, but we all know what happened

Thanks

The LOR singing quartet all have their own controller and lights already installed. Its as plug and play as anything you can get elsewhere.

If you need any help with singing faces feel free to ask, I have a ton of them.

I also have my Saturday Zoom Classes- free. There is a thread for that but if you wish to attend shoot me your email and I will send you the invite link.

Just like anything else the singing props are easy to add to your config and the LOR faces are easy to hang since the are lightweight.

Feel free to ask specific here or in PM.

No need to upgrade your other controllers to incorporate them in your show. 

I can provide you with data overload as far as how I hang them, setting them up, configuring them .... 

JR

Edited by dibblejr

JR, I bought all four of the singing trees and upgraded the sequences to motion packs. I did it to take advantage of the LOR sale, but honestly, I didn't investigate it much at all.
Is it as simple as plugging each controller into a channel on my LOR controllers? I sure hope so! :-)

1 hour ago, bschilz said:

JR, I bought all four of the singing trees and upgraded the sequences to motion packs. I did it to take advantage of the LOR sale, but honestly, I didn't investigate it much at all.
Is it as simple as plugging each controller into a channel on my LOR controllers? I sure hope so! 🙂

You plug the controllers in just like any controller. You then plug your cat5 cable from your RS485 adapter to your first controller and daisy chain the rest. Of course you have to change the unit ID's if you already have units with the same ID's.

Of course you have to have a sequence. 

Feel free to PM me specific questions. 

I have many videos regarding how to set them up.

I do not frame them. They get hung using boscoyo strips makes them very easy to store.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

5 hours ago, bschilz said:

Is it as simple as plugging each controller into a channel on my LOR controllers? I sure hope so! 🙂

You plug them into a LOR NETWORK not a controller channel.

If you do not have a lightly loader RED (hig speed) Adapter, you need one 😛

On 9/5/2020 at 6:17 PM, TheDucks said:

You plug them into a LOR NETWORK not a controller channel.

If you do not have a lightly loader RED (hig speed) Adapter, you need one 😛

The LOR singing trees, pixie2 will run off either adapter.

A pixie16 wi run off the black one as well as testing proves however I would not depend on a Pixie16 running during a show with multiple props with a black connector.

JR

39 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

A pixie16 wi run off the black one as well as testing proves however I would not depend on a Pixie16 running during a show with multiple props with a black connector.

JR

I was only considering when used as part of a Show.  Any 'network' congestion would lead to a show lag.

I think the Black adapter can be used for anything (controller) the HU can do except configure a Pixcon. Everything done there happens SLOW 😛

2 hours ago, dibblejr said:

JR

If you run those LOR Singing Trees off a black adapter {USB-485, USB-485B}, you will have some really horrid lag times if used for show use.  Even in testing, before I got a Red HS Adapter, if I had other controllers {older CTB16PC V2 and CCB100D RGB 5V Controllers} on the black adapter, mouth movements, eye blinks, color changes of outline or star or bow on the singing trees lagged, as did any changes on my CCB100D RGB Controllers, they lagged so bad it would kill a displays look faster than a lightning strike!

If using the newest N4-G3 {G4} MP3 Director, it allows for 4 networks and different speeds and settings for each, it's why I opted to buy one this year for my show instead of using and tying up my computer.  But if using a computer, definitely need a RED HS Adapter for the 500K and Enhanced speeds of RGB components, the black adapters I mention can not do enhanced or 500K, which is usually needed for RGB lighting and Controllers/

2 hours ago, Orville said:

If you run those LOR Singing Trees off a black adapter {USB-485, USB-485B}, you will have some really horrid lag times if used for show use.  Even in testing, before I got a Red HS Adapter, if I had other controllers {older CTB16PC V2 and CCB100D RGB 5V Controllers} on the black adapter, mouth movements, eye blinks, color changes of outline or star or bow on the singing trees lagged, as did any changes on my CCB100D RGB Controllers, they lagged so bad it would kill a displays look faster than a lightning strike!

If using the newest N4-G3 {G4} MP3 Director, it allows for 4 networks and different speeds and settings for each, it's why I opted to buy one this year for my show instead of using and tying up my computer.  But if using a computer, definitely need a RED HS Adapter for the 500K and Enhanced speeds of RGB components, the black adapters I mention can not do enhanced or 500K, which is usually needed for RGB lighting and Controllers/

Orville, they will run on either adapter. Now your difference will be your computer processor and your other controllers.  And if they can be placed on a network by themselves with a black adapter. Perhaps some electrical interference as well, I think I experienced that once but I could not isolate the problem. I did change the place where I had some surge protectors and some cables and it went away. 

As you know there are many variables to how things work in shows. Just like the suggested distance between computer and first pixel. I far exceed that in my test videos as well as my display.

i have tested the LOR singing trees with the black adapter and the red (all of my 12 networks are RED) but they will run independently on a black adapter. (Set of 4)

They will also run when connected to my G3 AC controllers testing on a black adapter no lag whatsoever.

However as I mention above I would not count on a perfect show during show time to run pixie devices on a black adapter. Better safe than to be without a HS adapter and a show or props shut down.

While beta testing the pixie 16 helping others I discovered the pixies willmrun on a black adapter. 

When LOR first put them out for everyone they stated "red adapter required" now the book states "red adapter recommended".

Almost everyone new to the pixies purchased black adapters unknowing the suggestions at the time  and while talking to them via telephone helping them configure them was when it was discovered.

Some with smaller shows do still run black adapters just fine while I will not since I have a pretty good size show.

Another thing  to consider but not for the pixie2 is the power supplies. I run 500 watts on my 8's, 350 on my 4's and no less that 700 on my 16's. All of my 16's have at least 350 watts per bank and a couple have 500 w per bank. All by design just in case I ever needed PI which I have not, yet.

Last year we had temps below zero here in Alabama first time in like 60 years. The drone landed itself. One by one the props stopped working, all froze up. The next day when it got to 30+ all worked.  That had me wondering how the folks up north run their shows in extreme cold weather. The controllers were working though. 

JR

On 9/12/2020 at 5:56 PM, dibblejr said:

Orville, they will run on either adapter. Now your difference will be your computer processor and your other controllers.  And if they can be placed on a network by themselves with a black adapter. Perhaps some electrical interference as well, I think I experienced that once but I could not isolate the problem. I did change the place where I had some surge protectors and some cables and it went away. 

As you know there are many variables to how things work in shows. Just like the suggested distance between computer and first pixel. I far exceed that in my test videos as well as my display.

i have tested the LOR singing trees with the black adapter and the red (all of my 12 networks are RED) but they will run independently on a black adapter. (Set of 4)

They will also run when connected to my G3 AC controllers testing on a black adapter no lag whatsoever.

However as I mention above I would not count on a perfect show during show time to run pixie devices on a black adapter. Better safe than to be without a HS adapter and a show or props shut down.

While beta testing the pixie 16 helping others I discovered the pixies willmrun on a black adapter. 

When LOR first put them out for everyone they stated "red adapter required" now the book states "red adapter recommended".

Almost everyone new to the pixies purchased black adapters unknowing the suggestions at the time  and while talking to them via telephone helping them configure them was when it was discovered.

Some with smaller shows do still run black adapters just fine while I will not since I have a pretty good size show.

Another thing  to consider but not for the pixie2 is the power supplies. I run 500 watts on my 8's, 350 on my 4's and no less that 700 on my 16's. All of my 16's have at least 350 watts per bank and a couple have 500 w per bank. All by design just in case I ever needed PI which I have not, yet.

Last year we had temps below zero here in Alabama first time in like 60 years. The drone landed itself. One by one the props stopped working, all froze up. The next day when it got to 30+ all worked.  That had me wondering how the folks up north run their shows in extreme cold weather. The controllers were working though. 

JR

If I connect my older CTB16PC's {V2} and the CCB100D and/or the Pixie2D Controllers that run the LOR Singing  Trees.  Even on testing with the black USB-485B adapter I have, there is a horrible lag time with any of the RGB devices with or without the V2 CTB16PC controllers attached, add them and it gets worse, much, much worse.  And during showtime, when that's all I had was the black adapter {prior to the singing trees and CCB-100D controllers} the lag times were even worse when everything was connected and operating.

For testing I can only have the Pixie2D's on the black adapter, but being in non-enhanced and limited to 115k speed, with the 2 LOR trees I have, they lag terribly, they lag even worse on the computer I am now using, since my other system was rendered unusable, it was a little better with the lag time, but it was still there with only the 2 singing trees connected to the USB-485B adapter.  My red adapter has gone bad, or the cable may be, I'm not sure, could be both, but I currently have no way to test either the cable or the adapter at this time.

Just know when I had the red adapter and could use it, I had no lag times or issues with either computer it was attached too.   But the black one, I do have lag issues with and always have on my systems.

• The topic was locked