Light-O-Rama Forums

Is anyone out there good with putting text on a pixel tree? I'm new to pixels.

GriswoldStyle

Im looking to have something made. I am needing a pixel tree sequence that is 90 seconds long. No music or anything. Looking for pricing.

Just need something for a 16x50 tree with words that read "Light Up Citrus" I will edit them into my 3 different 90 second photo op fillers from your lms zip (cant export superstar to se with my license).

The thing is I need the same thing 3 times... one in Blue, One in Green and one in Red. Basically the all lights on the background colors for each 90 second theme.

Or if it is easier to do one color I am open to that. You guys are the pixel pros. I am just venturing into the tree this year.  I do not have the SS license to create it myself. I only have the two strand limit. Will be upgrading next year when funds allow. 2020 Has been a bad year financially for us so can't exceed anymore of the budget this year on upgrading.

Maybe just solid colors and the words "Light Up Citrus" being blacked out in the tree or something simple like white lights for the text. Nothing crazy. Im not sure how involved that is or will be. But I am willing to pay for the help if the price is right.

Edited by GriswoldStyle

1 hour ago, GriswoldStyle said:

Im looking to have something made. I am needing a pixel tree sequence that is 90 seconds long. No music or anything. Looking for pricing.

Just need something for a 16x50 tree with words that read "Light Up Citrus" I will edit them into my 3 different 90 second photo op fillers from your lms zip (cant export superstar to se with my license).

The thing is I need the same thing 3 times... one in Blue, One in Green and one in Red. Basically the all lights on the background colors for each 90 second theme.

Or if it is easier to do one color I am open to that. You guys are the pixel pros. I am just venturing into the tree this year.  I do not have the SS license to create it myself. I only have the two strand limit. Will be upgrading next year when funds allow. 2020 Has been a bad year financially for us so can't exceed anymore of the budget this year on upgrading.

Maybe just solid colors and the words "Light Up Citrus" being blacked out in the tree or something simple like white lights for the text. Nothing crazy. Im not sure how involved that is or will be. But I am willing to pay for the help if the price is right.

Shoot me a PM. Put the project in the subject and I wont open until I can get to it. Wont be today of very soon but can do it.

In the message please explain in full detail.

Is there a song?

Doesn't take very long, I have done this for others that were more intricate like names and welcome stuff. 

No cost!

JR

12 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Shoot me a PM. Put the project in the subject and I wont open until I can get to it. Wont be today of very soon but can do it.

In the message please explain in full detail.

Is there a song?

Doesn't take very long, I have done this for others that were more intricate like names and welcome stuff. 

No cost!

JR

No song. Just simple text that repeats "Light Up Citrus" for 90 seconds that I will have on the pixel tree. I have a 90 second photo op between every 4 songs in my Christmas show. It  just plays audio I had made for the display by a professional radio personality guy in LA that tells people about the display, keeping traffic clear, keeping radios down, and advertises our facebook page. Stuff like that.

I can edit the audio in but will send it to you if that will help. I will send you a pm shortly. Thanks so much

It doesn’t matter if the timing is not critical.

However in S4 a SS matrix and tree do not slow down as it does in S5.

There is basically fast and faster IMO. I wish there was a more slow option.

What looks good in SS test is actually much faster on the prop when it comes to text.

I think one of Bobs tools can slow it down but I have never figured it out and there is no way for me to test the sequence so that would be in you.

To make my point for my Covid show I had a 7 min song. In SS I made it as slow as possible. It had the schools and names of 30 people that graduated from HS or College.

The SS version even at its slowest speed would not fit the entire list nor when tested in the physical prop went by at a high speed.

I was able to turn the speed down in S5 as well as fit the entire list in that 7 min song Friends Forever 

This is why I decided to try and learn S5 some of those features are worth the growing pains.

Maybe BrianBeruderer will see this and chime in about the speed in SS. Maybe on a future update he could add a more controllable speed slider as in S5.

All I can do is try for you.

Here is the matrix in SS it was very fast. Is S5 you can see the outcome. That was my Covid show setup. This was the special one I did for the parade.

It took a little over an hour from start to finis once I was shown how everything worked.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Unless I'm not understanding the statement, you can make text in S3, S4, or S5 SuperStar scroll any speed you want.  From blinding fast to so slow that you can hardly tell is moving.

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Unless I'm not understanding the statement, you can make text in S3, S4, or S5 SuperStar scroll any speed you want.  From blinding fast to so slow that you can hardly tell is moving.

I have never been able to get SS to play slow on the physical prop.

Always look good in the SS preview but to fast on prop.

Let me see if I have a video as testing both

I believe Griswold is fairly new and may not be able to sequence it in S4 window, it is complicated.

JR

Yea, as you know, what he is asking for is trivial in SuperStar, however I am running everything in S5 and I'm not 100% certain that I can export a .las from S5 SuperStar that will be fully S4 compliant.

As for text speed in SuperStar, speed is dependent on how far you are telling the text to move and how long you give it to make that move.  My biggest issue with text on a pixel tree is that are simply so few pixels to work with.  Even with my tree, it's only 26 pixels wide (and most are smaller than that).  Hard to get more than a few characters in that and have it look decent.

Unfortunately I have no video of the SS /S4 version but trust me I would not have went through the pain of learning S5 enough to sequence the matrix if I could have gotten the SS/ S4 version slow and long enough to handle the sequence.

I am almost sure I did make a video but it’s prob deep in my cell phone.

I even chunked it out in SS and attempted to extend the song.

JR 

4 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Yea, as you know, what he is asking for is trivial in SuperStar, however I am running everything in S5 and I'm not 100% certain that I can export a .las from S5 SuperStar that will be fully S4 compliant.

As for text speed in SuperStar, speed is dependent on how far you are telling the text to move and how long you give it to make that move.  My biggest issue with text on a pixel tree is that are simply so few pixels to work with.  Even with my tree, it's only 26 pixels wide (and most are smaller than that).  Hard to get more than a few characters in that and have it look decent.

The few I have done with others varied with movement. Some side to side but the better ones moved bottom corner to top corner or bottom to top for that very reason.

SS speed may be slow to some but for me is fast. If someone can show me a video of a matrix made in SS moving that slow that would be great.

I did discuss this with Brian and as you said it depends on time but even extending the song did not help the actual prop speed.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Yea, I have done top to bottom also for that same reason.  100 pixels gives a lot more capability...

9 minutes ago, BobW said:

Is this something like what you are thinking. I just threw it together and put it on a page on my web site.

http://bobw.us/citrus/

I believe he is wanting the entire words to show up at one time and stay for 90 seconds because its for photo opps

JR

On 8/21/2020 at 7:52 PM, dibblejr said:

I believe he is wanting the entire words to show up at one time and stay for 90 seconds because its for photo opps

JR

That is correct. HOWEVER I did not realize it would be so involved for whoever took on the task. I would be appreciative of anything. It does not have to be what I was describing.. If it is that involved please disregard. Anything with the words will work even if I have to copy and paste it multiple times to fill the audio sequence. Not looking to add headaches for anyone. Anything simple that will have the name would be perfectly fine. I can make it work. Im just new to this and have no clue what I am doing yet.

Sorry for the delayed response. I thought I was following this topic bur apparently I forgot to click it. 

Edited by GriswoldStyle

On 8/21/2020 at 7:42 PM, BobW said:

Is this something like what you are thinking. I just threw it together and put it on a page on my web site.

Thank you for taking time out for that. I like the look..Is it possible for a stationary 2 lines of text at once or is it only scrolling able to be done? Again appreciate the example. That is awesome.

Like this I mean *i edited it in paint for an example

LUP.png

Edited by GriswoldStyle

In all honesty, you are not going to get Light up Citrus horizontally into 16 pixels wide and have it readable.  About the lowest resolution you can possibly make is three pixels for the character (and some you can't do it in three) plus one more for a space between characters.  So Citrus becomes C=4, i=2, t=4, r=4, u=4, & s=3 for a total of 21 pixels wide at an absolute minimum.

You beat me to the vertical option. 

Oriented a different way.  Your choice.

Light_up_Citrus.png

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

In all honesty, you are not going to get Light up Citrus horizontally into 16 pixels wide and have it readable. 

Oriented a different way.  Your choice.

Was thinking the same thing about horizontal. Vertical would work better and still be readable. My tree will be a flat or flatter fixture to help with viewing. Being as it sits 100 feet off the road and everyone parks in the empty lot across the street, I was thinking a flat tree will show the pixels better. I was thinking of making it 30-36'' at the top and 72-84' wide at the bottom. Any suggestions on sizing for width? You all have been doing pixels long before me so I figure you all would know best

49 minutes ago, GriswoldStyle said:

Thank you for taking time out for that. I like the look..Is it possible for a stationary 2 lines of text at once or is it only scrolling able to be done? Again appreciate the example. That is awesome.

Like this I mean *i edited it in paint for an example

LUP.png

Doesn't look like a tree to me. 😁 As soon as you pinch the top together, it's not going to be readable. Neither the horizontal nor vertical will look worth a damn. Matrix yes, tree no. My tree is 16 x 25. I tried squishing down the font size to get multiple lines on the tree. It did not work.

Bob

Edited by BobW
  • Like 1

BobW does have  a valid point.  Very hard to get text to work on a pixel tree.  For the most part, I don't do much with text on my tree.  The only song I have with text is Brian Bruderer's version of Carol of the Bells (starting at 1:50).  I have my website in two of my announcements, but it is slowly scrolling horizontal at about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom.  My tree as shown below is 12 x 50 pixels.  It does look better with my 26 x 100 tree arrangement.

• Like 1

I updated the video on my web site to a 16 x 50 tree. It doesn't look too bad. I cut the intensity of the tree to 75% and changed to a darker green. The regular green really overshadows the text.

Bob

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BobW said:

Doesn't look like a tree to me. 😁 As soon as you pinch the top together, it's not going to be readable. Neither the horizontal nor vertical will look worth a damn. Matrix yes, tree no. My tree is 16 x 25. I tried squishing down the font size to get multiple lines on the tree. It did not work.

Bob

13 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

BobW does have  a valid point.  Very hard to get text to work on a pixel tree.  For the most part, I don't do much with text on my tree.  The only song I have with text is Brian Bruderer's version of Carol of the Bells (starting at 1:50).  I have my website in two of my announcements, but it is slowly scrolling horizontal at about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom.  My tree as shown below is 12 x 50 pixels.  It does look better with my 26 x 100 tree arrangement.

Thank you both for that info. Didnt realize it was so complex. I see both your points. Glad I asked as a pixel n00b so that makes it easier to understand now.. So would it be better for scrolling across like bobs example (only slightly faster) I really liked the boldness of his preview or maybe 3 roll in words? Meaning one word at a time on the tree? Just trying to understand what would work best in something like this.

Edited by GriswoldStyle