Light-O-Rama Forums

S4 Groups not open in S5

Little_b

I've been searching, but can't find the answer I need.  I am looking to upgrade some old S4 Sequences into S5.  Here is how i'm doing it:

Open new S5 sequence with updated Preview

Open old S4 sequence using the various preview sources, mainly option 4

Copy each line of prop from S4 sequence to S5 Sequence. Reason, not all my old S4 sequences used the same preview, but many of the props are the same, just different channel assignments.  Each year was different due to power consumption.

In S4 i used PE and had a 2 matrix props- Matrix Left, Matrix right, and grouped them to make one larger matrix. When i open it in S5 the Group line doesn't show up, only the the individual prop Left and right.  I don't see an archive group option in the append grid view section, just props.

So to summarize, how do i get the old S4 groups to appear in S5 to copy motion effects over?

Not sure if I understand the question but you may have to build it as a custom prop.

If you have exported the vis and imported into S5 I found many problems and ended up rebuilding every prop in S5 and many of mine are custom.

When I import a sequence I use only the default preview and then copy paste in to the S5 sequence assigned to the proper preview.

Maybe this helped or maybe someone will chime in and have a better understanding and correct me if I am wrong.

ME- S4 didn’t have ME so not sure about your “copy over the S4 ME rows”

JR

Edited by dibblejr

As I understand what you've written, you can create a new S5 group to replace the one in PE - that is not the problem. The problem is that the sequencing on the PE group never shows up when you upgrade the S4 sequence to S5. Do I have that right?

Matt

1 hour ago, MattBrown said:

As I understand what you've written, you can create a new S5 group to replace the one in PE - that is not the problem. The problem is that the sequencing on the PE group never shows up when you upgrade the S4 sequence to S5. Do I have that right?

Matt

You are correct.  The props and sequencing for them show up, but the groups that were made do not.

Let me expand a little.  Some of the groups show up if they had the same names as before. For example, in the 2017 sequence i had a group called Spots with all the RGB spot lights. In my 2020 i still have that group and so it shows up.

In my 2017 sequence my Matrix Group was called Large Matrix.  In my 2020 it's called Main Matrix.  When i open 2017, no group called Large Matrix shows up.  I tried renaming and creating a new matrix called Large Matrix in my 2020 preview, but still no luck.

Edited by Little_b

You are right - if the group isn't in the preview, the group will not get imported. So how to get the group in the preview...

When you upgrade the sequence, it should tell you which preview is used by the Pixel Editor sequence. Is the group still in that preview? If so, you should use that one. If not, you could export that preview, then delete it. Then when you try upgrading the sequence again, the Pixel Editor preview would get imported and you could use that newly imported one. At some point, you would delete the imported Pixel Editor preview, and import the preview you exported initially.

That is a lot of steps. The alternative is to wait for the upcoming release. With it, you can create a new preview and import the Pixel Editor preview any time you open a legacy sequence file (LMS or LAS).

Matt

Thank you Matt.  This solved my issue.  I Failed to think about changing the assigned preview to the new imported one from the older sequence.  Once I did that, I found everything I needed.