Light-O-Rama Forums

How to rehome my decorating stuff

7cats

Hello, having been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer, I can't imagine I'll be doing decorating any more.  What is the most effective way to dispose of my decorating supplies?

Some LOR units of course, and lots and lots of lights of all types (mostly pre-LED).  Some light structures and a few blow-ups.  Extension cords

6 hours ago, 7cats said:

Hello, having been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer, I can't imagine I'll be doing decorating any more.  What is the most effective way to dispose of my decorating supplies?

Some LOR units of course, and lots and lots of lights of all types (mostly pre-LED).  Some light structures and a few blow-ups.  Extension cords

I am sorry to hear about this as well. 

If you want money for it maybe Craigslist or another local group. Here we have a neighborhood group FB page.

If just donating, as a community center or retirement home. Surely someone will know your display and want it. Children if you have any or other family members.

Loss for words. 

JR

On 8/19/2020 at 5:39 PM, 7cats said:

Sorry to hear about your medical issues.   If looking for the quickest way, donating it to a newbie on the forums that doesn't have much yet, but looking for additional items.    When I stopped doing Halloween displays, I found someone on the forum that was looking a an additional controller, but I also had a lot of Halloween stuff that I had attempted to sell, but went nowhere.   So I contacted the person {who also lived in Florida, and they had been doing LOR for about 2 years I think} through the forums PM messaging and offered what I had to them all for free, they just had to be able to pick it up.  Which they took me up on the offer and free pickup at my home.  I can't drive and am legally blind, and my vision has gotten even worse over the past year, but I'm going to try and keep doing Christmas for as long as I can.  

Although I don't think this Christmas 2020 is going to be too spectacular, my computer I used for sequencing and used to run shows from ended up dying and had to piece together from it into an even older unit that sequencing on is just too slow and tedious.  The older system I pieced together with the Hard Drives from my original sequencing computer worked in it, but the case is too small and can't accept my Video Graphics Card or my 5 Port USB internal PCI Card.  So I probably won't be putting up my LOR Singing Trees this year due to that system going belly up {motherboard and power supply both got fried}.

But anyway, to re-home your stuff in the quickest manner would be to donate it to someone in your area that does these type displays and would want it.   If set on trying to sell it, sell each piece independently, trying to sell it as a "complete display package" isn't as palatable as I thought when I tried with my Halloween Display, so I would not recommend even attempting that option, posting everything with an asking price here on the forums in the Coffee Shop is another good option.

Good Luck!

p.s. by your name, I'm guessing you own 7 cats?  If so, got you beat by 13{total 20 cats currently and counting} and we have 3 females expecting more on the way.   In reality, the 3 females aren't ours, along with the unfixed male populous, they all belong to a former roommate and when they moved out, we kind of got roped into caring for them until they can get settled somewhere.  Then Covid-19 hit and we got stuck with them for much longer than we had expected.  All of our own cats are spayed and neutered, so ours can do nothing, but this is starting to get even more ridiculous around here!

3 hours ago, Orville said:

p.s. by your name, I'm guessing you own 7 cats?  

Thanks for the suggestions.  I would  like to get something back for them, but forgot about shipping.  I guess I'll go with local advertisements.

Originally there were 7, but apparently their line had genetic problems, as 5 have died from cancers or tumors..

On 8/20/2020 at 10:40 PM, 7cats said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  I would  like to get something back for them, but forgot about shipping.  I guess I'll go with local advertisements.

Originally there were 7, but apparently their line had genetic problems, as 5 have died from cancers or tumors..

Yep, that shipping can get quite costly.  I try to keep it local because of not being able to drive and no vehicle, so kind of rules out shipping for me on things.  But understand wanting to get something out of them.  Good Luck.

Also sad to hear about the 5 cats that died, but I know how that feels, because we have had so many kittens from in-breeding, they also end up with a genetic disorder and that issue usually takes their life within the first year of their life.  Most never make it past 2-3 weeks, but we've had some that made it for 6-7 months and died.  We've lost over 25+ kittens to this genetic disorder and it's heartbreaking when it hits them, especially since there is no cure for the issue.  Usually if they at least make it past their 1st year birthday, they'll usually live a long life, but the sad thing is, it can still hit them before they reach the age of 2.  Once they make it past their 2nd birthday, they usually live a long life.  we have a few that are going on their 8th birthday and quite a few others that are over 3 years old and a couple that just passed the 2 year mark.  But we still have quite a few that are still under the 1 year old mark, 3 are only about 5-6 months old, so we have to watch them and hope for the best.

Again, good luck on selling your wares.  Hope you can find a buyer for everything.

Ours generally made past it 10 years without noticeable problems.  Then in most cases we got a few more years from surgery or radiation treatment.  The last two are on insulin for diabetes.

• The topic was locked