Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie Here!

CrazyManInCincy

Hey I been looking into doing this for years! But never really had the $$$$ to do it. So I been looking at the 32 channel starter kit. Any ideas if its a good choice ? Where is a good place to get lights from? I like to get a copy of the software to start everything before my goodies are purchased. I was looking at just buying the software then all the other controlers but I priced it all it looks like Id be losing money. Any ideas?

Mike

P.S Any one in the Cincinnati, Ohio arwa willing to teach me or let me help out with there show before I dive head first into it? I am really good with computers(most times).

Depending on your knowledge and how much you know about basic electricity, the PC kits may be a better fit for you, as it was for me. I see a lot of people (myself included) that have lights from static displays from prior years. You can use those, if you're starting from scratch, then you're starting pretty late in the year.

If you want to start slow, 16 or 32 channels is a good start. Download the demo software (it's free) and start working with it right away to get an idea of what you can do. I believe that the demo if fully functional with the exception of being able to run the controllers, so you can create sequences, then merge it to the real software when you purchase the controllers.

Here's a link for the PC kits. http://store.lightorama.com/ctb16pcpage.html

Westport Lights wrote:

Depending on your knowledge and how much you know about basic electricity, the PC kits may be a better fit for you, as it was for me. I see a lot of people (myself included) that have lights from static displays from prior years. You can use those, if you're starting from scratch, then you're starting pretty late in the year.

If you want to start slow, 16 or 32 channels is a good start. Download the demo software (it's free) and start working with it right away to get an idea of what you can do. I believe that the demo if fully functional with the exception of being able to run the controllers, so you can create sequences, then merge it to the real software when you purchase the controllers.

Here's a link for the PC kits. http://store.lightorama.com/ctb16pcpage.html
My and the sparky stuff dont get along when it comes to soldering and circut boards. I wish I was better but when I was a little young I took to manhy things apart and made them smoke lol

Not all of the kits require soldering. Look at the pre-assembled ones. I only mention these because you mentioned money is an issue, and these are very similar to the showtime products.

You really need to order now, IMHO. Get the $99 starter kit that includes the software, computer connection and a cable.

I would start with the $205 PC units that only require minimal assembly and no soldering. http://store.lightorama.com/ctb16pcpage.html

Buy it all together to minimize the shipping costs ... and download the S2 software and start creating your channel configuration, animation window (save as config), then start sequencing. You can probably get pre-sequenced stuff from members, LOR, or lorsequences dot com ... then adapt to your display. If you have lots of time, then maybe do a song or two yourself. One song could take your 10-20 hours since your new. Keep the song short ... maybe use audacity to shorten it to 1.5-2.5 mins.

To be honest, you might really want to just do 16 channels the first year, just since your already pretty late ... and less channels = easier (faster) sequencing of the songs.

The other thing to budget for is all the extension cords you will need. Some folks buy a big spool of SPT2 and a bunch of vampire plugs ... then you make the cords you need as you lay things out. You may need some heavy duty 15A (or better) cords to feed your controller with ... and make sure you have the power to dedicate.

THen if you want to keep doing this, then tune into these boards (LOR, PC) and hit the after christmas sales and stock up on cords and lights for next year.

Also, you likely will need an FM transmitter or a decent pair of speakers to throw outside.

Scott

CrazyManInCincy wrote:

Mike

P.S Any one in the Cincinnati, Ohio arwa willing to teach me or let me help out with there show before I dive head first into it? I am really good with computers(most times).

you might want to start here in the tutorials.

http://lightoramasequences.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

some great sequences you can download as well, but you need to buy and get the music.

I am also on a limited budget so I buy the CTB16PC for $122.00. Then I build my containers out of 2x4's and plywood. seal the insides and paint the outside black.

Not as pretty as some but I've used two of them for 3 years now with no problems.

Jim

As Jim said ... thats a great way to save $$ ... do more if it yourself and just solder the board together yourself. Not for the person with limited skills (like me).

For those getting into this with a lot of skills, then the pure DIY option is even cheaper ... doing Renard 24, 64 over at the DIY christmas boards. But that stuff is way too technical for me. Those folks use (free) open source vixen instead of LOR software.

Hey Crazy, welcome to LOR! I live in northern Kentucky. This is my second year with LOR but I have been doing static displays for years. I started last year with 32 channels and will have 96 this year. I would be happy to help you any way I can. This is a great hobby and the forums help so much. Read as much as you can, layout your design, download the demo software and start sequencing. I would start small until you are comfortable with the software and equipment. If you need help assembling boards I would be happy to show you how. It might be a little late this year to get much going but if you are interested in seeing how I did my setup I will be happy to show you. I am not an expert but I do have some experience I would be happy to share. You can PM me if you like.

Mike