Light-O-Rama Forums

Computer Gurus ?

dibblejr

20 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

I never recommend cloning or even zipping for data files. For starters, it's an extra process with the possibility of error.

Cloning all your data into one big lump just means that if anything goes wrong, say a disc sector goes bad, the whole clone file could, and likely would be gone.

With individual data files, only a few files would be lost. and that's covered by your second backup.

Cloning the system partition with the OS is fine and can save hours of reinstall, but your data should not be in it. If the clone should fail you can reinstall the OS manually, Data files could be gone for good.

With the low cost of huge storage devices, I see no reason to zip files any more, again, it's just another potential failure point

Since I am not a techy person I can only use directions to add/ change components. In this case Crucial recommends Acronis True Image and since it worked last year I had no options other than getting OD or a computer business to help. 

So the full image close is what I used. I did have the option of selecting what files to use but for the same non savvy reason used the automatic full system setting (default and recommended)

As far as the zip files, the only ones I have are things sent through emails that are to large to send without compressing them.

Its scary for me to not use "recommended" for any computer stuff since I don't know it very well. LOL As bad as this was, I could only imagine if I tried using the "user select" feature. LOL

JR

4 hours ago, jfuller8400 said:

What browser are you using?  Edge has had issues like you are describing (see this link:  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/forum/all/edge-converts-spaces-to-20-in-downloaded-file/e85532d4-1e41-44a1-bf3c-c19eaec39948).  If you are using a Microsoft browser, I would try either firefox or chrome and see if the issues persists.

I run the latest version of Firefox, depending on the website, I often get filenames with with %20, ", and some other off the wall characters, I just rename the file and it works fine.

However, what JR describes to me, well, I've had those issues before and unfortunately those issues are usually NOT recoverable, because when the filename extension gets changed into numbers or other letters, that means Windows recovered what it could of the file{s}, but 99.9% of the time, those now misnamed and mis-identified filenames are completely corrupted and the only way to replace them is to re-download a saved backup from another location, recreate the file if one you created like a sequence or a complete re-install of the software package to fix and replace all the corrupted files, but you have to delete the corrupted and mis-named files.   I've been through this many times when I started with computers, and even with todays technology, still no really good way, actually none, to restore files that have been corrupted or severely damaged.

And anyone that tries to say this is 100% possible would be lying to you.   Dealt with this issue for well over 35+ years building and doing computer upgrades and corrupt/damaged files are just garbage files needing to be deleted and replaced with fresh new copies of the software/files.

Sorry, but it is, what it is.

2 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

Feel free to ask me any time JR. 

Thanks, I know you and a few others have always said that but it’s difficult bothering people that have different schedules and easy to just contact a help desk of sorts.

I would have had no way of for seeing what happened.

Huge Thank you to you and the others who have offered the same support.

That is what we all do, and why I reached out about the issue.

JR

I was just curious, how much data (size) are we talking here, the folder with 20k files?  Is this your full computer backup, or just your light show files/dirs?

7 hours ago, Dave76 said:

I was just curious, how much data (size) are we talking here, the folder with 20k files?  Is this your full computer backup, or just your light show files/dirs?

100% Sequences and only LMS/ SUP/ SUP.LMS/Lee/LCC// etc and Audio. I have a lot of LCC's and LEE files that I have built for others. (their backup source). Tonight making a backup, its actually 27,000 + the clone backup was missing some or misplaced but I am recovering those now

971 gb

Still downloading 

JR

7 hours ago, dibblejr said:

100% Sequences and only LMS/ SUP/ SUP.LMS/Lee/LCC// etc and Audio. I have a lot of LCC's and LEE files that I have built for others. (their backup source). Tonight making a backup, its actually 27,000 + the clone backup was missing some or misplaced but I am recovering those now

971 gb

Still downloading 

JR

That's a good chunk of data.  I agree though, if you have a good backup software, I would avoid making Zip files and do an exact backup, and to different locations.  And you should not have to do all 27k each time.  Just copy the new/updated files.

2 hours ago, Dave76 said:

That's a good chunk of data.  I agree though, if you have a good backup software, I would avoid making Zip files and do an exact backup, and to different locations.  And you should not have to do all 27k each time.  Just copy the new/updated files.

I do not make zip files, the only zip files I have are ones I have downloaded. Out of all of the 27,000 files there may be 100 (at most) zipfiles. Mainly software and sequence downloads but normally I trash the sequence zips.

This problem was not foreseen as to be a problem, just a simple ssd replacement that should have just like in 2019 taken only a few hours.

Luckily I have all of the files in enough areas to retrieve every sequence. My latest which were not in any backups were in emails where I shared them.

By the end of the day everything should be back in a new useable order. I hope.

JR

2 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I do not make zip files, the only zip files I have are ones I have downloaded. Out of all of the 27,000 files there may be 100 (at most) zipfiles. Mainly software and sequence downloads but normally I trash the sequence zips.

This problem was not foreseen as to be a problem, just a simple ssd replacement that should have just like in 2019 taken only a few hours.

Luckily I have all of the files in enough areas to retrieve every sequence. My latest which were not in any backups were in emails where I shared them.

By the end of the day everything should be back in a new useable order. I hope.

JR

👍 That is good.  A little pain to get there but at least you have it all. 

• Like 1

I use FreeFileSync to keep a Mirror of my critical data folders on another drive (NAS or just external) It scans for differences (from the last time), and just makes the needed updates.

I used to use SyncToy (Microsoft), but it is slow compared to FFS.

Just set up 'sync tasks' and run those as needed. (a restore is just the Mirror flipped. I have not needed that...Yet )

• The topic was locked