Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Singing Tree in S5

JAF

Hi,

I recently moved and made the switch from AC powered lights in a very old version of he software to all RGB pixels for the new house.  The last two Christmases, I just did some animation with the pixels, but now want to get back to musical sequences.    

I have one singing tree I want to put in the display and am struggling to understand how to set it up.  I didn't get anything with the tree.  Searching the forum, I found discussions on S4 and using 8 channel set up for the tree and not smart pixels.  I think I can build it manually, but if there is something out there or someone has already done it, that would be helpful.  The way the tree is constructed also generates some questions and I was wondering if there is some guidance.  When I try to add the prop in my preview, it defaults to dumb RGB lights and when I try to edit it I can't define all of the lights associated with that feature.  

Examples:

The body is in two separate groups of lights with the star between them.  Is there a way to make the two pieces one prop since they are not sequential lights or do I need to make two props and group them?

Same thing with the mouth where some of the lights are used in multiple configurations like the "O". 

Or the eyes, do I need to make left and right and group them or is there a way put both in one prop since the light are not sequential?

I am also assuming that the two 100 pixel strings of lights are channels 34 and 35 and not all on one channel. Assuming I use 34 as the controller number. 

Any help would be appreciated.  It is possible that I am making this harder than it need to be.  

Thanks,

Alan

2 hours ago, JAF said:

Hi,

I recently moved and made the switch from AC powered lights in a very old version of he software to all RGB pixels for the new house.  The last two Christmases, I just did some animation with the pixels, but now want to get back to musical sequences.    

I have one singing tree I want to put in the display and am struggling to understand how to set it up.  I didn't get anything with the tree.  Searching the forum, I found discussions on S4 and using 8 channel set up for the tree and not smart pixels.  I think I can build it manually, but if there is something out there or someone has already done it, that would be helpful.  The way the tree is constructed also generates some questions and I was wondering if there is some guidance.  When I try to add the prop in my preview, it defaults to dumb RGB lights and when I try to edit it I can't define all of the lights associated with that feature.  

Examples:

The body is in two separate groups of lights with the star between them.  Is there a way to make the two pieces one prop since they are not sequential lights or do I need to make two props and group them?

Same thing with the mouth where some of the lights are used in multiple configurations like the "O". 

Or the eyes, do I need to make left and right and group them or is there a way put both in one prop since the light are not sequential?

I am also assuming that the two 100 pixel strings of lights are channels 34 and 35 and not all on one channel. Assuming I use 34 as the controller number. 

Any help would be appreciated.  It is possible that I am making this harder than it need to be.  

Thanks,

Alan

I posted a how to not long ago. But let me see if I can get you close.

The props are already built in to the S5 system. Add prop, drop down LOR. Last I knew there was only the singing Quartet. You only have to chose the face you have or if you think one day you will add more you can add all of them and be done with hem all at once.

The nodes in the LOR trees are Smart nodes. The pixie2 controller that comes with them is configured to treat the as if they are dumb nodes.

I would not manually try to add them esp since the prop is already defined in the S5 drop down menu.

You only need to change the Unit ID if you are not using unit ID 01/02 Each Controller will use 2 unit ID's. In your case if 34 yes it will automatically asign 34/35

If you more info as I mentioned I added directions along with links to a sample sequence and other info in my friend Orvilles thread with a similar question. I also made a video. Just search for Orville and sing tree or something. I am recovering from a serious computer problem so unable to link to it atm.

Feel free to PM me if more info is needed.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Here is one link. There may be more around that same time period but this should get you there. I know it is reference to S4 but other than the fact you can go through the Import feature in S5 to get the prop in to S5 all other info is useable.

Reach out if you have additional questions.

JR

Hi JR,

Thanks so much for the quick response. Based on what I see when I try to add the tree as a new prop in the preview, that makes sense that the Pixie controller has a dumb mode.  I didn't know it had that option and was really confused at what was imported.  How does it know what lights are associated with each feature in the prop?  I would think I would somehow tell it?  

I am still looking for the video but will keep looking.

Thanks again,

Alan

JR,

I went ahead and set it up as 8 channels of dumb pixels and did a quick auto sequence in superstar and imported it.  I go the tree down, hooked it up and after fussing with channel numbers it seems to work. I  Still don't understand it, but I now have a starting point that I can play with.  I want to see how the "O" works since it shares lights with the other mouth features. 

Thank you very much for the help.  

Alan

3 hours ago, JAF said:

JR,

I went ahead and set it up as 8 channels of dumb pixels and did a quick auto sequence in superstar and imported it.  I go the tree down, hooked it up and after fussing with channel numbers it seems to work. I  Still don't understand it, but I now have a starting point that I can play with.  I want to see how the "O" works since it shares lights with the other mouth features. 

Alan

You have the Singing Quartet correct? If so they are pre set so I don't understand what you are trying to attempt. Deep in the pixie is where it is set one of the links in the thread should take you to the manual. If you skip all the way down to the singing face section is where all info on those are.

The dumb mode is a fairly new release, firmware update to the pixies.

Most info before that is what I will call generic every day stuff.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

3 hours ago, JAF said:

JR,

Alan

Sent 2 videos, as mentioned most info is S4 but can be applied to S5.

JR

Thanks for the info JR, it all very helpful.   I only have one tree to start with and was wanting to understand what happens inside the Pixie controller that tell it what lights on the tree to illuminate for each of the 8 channels.  The fact that it works is good enough since I have a lot of work to do to get a display ready for Christmas.  I programed about 30 seconds of a song for the tree and it does appear to work just fine.  

Thanks again for he help.

Alan

• Like 1