Light-O-Rama Forums

Dedicated sequencing/show computer

GRG

I am new this year to the world of LOR.  I will be running 8 of the 16 channel controllers for the first year or two before maybe stepping into the world of pixels.

As both my laptop and main computer can not be tied up and dedicated for the show portion, I set out seeking a dedicated desktop for my show.  I had a friend offer me a near new computer for $100.00.  The specs on this unit are: AMD Ryzen5 2600 x 6 core 3.6 Ghz processor on a ASRock B450 motherboard.  It has 16 GB of CP21300 DDR4 memory and a Zotac GeForce GT710 2Mb graphics card.  Audio is integrated. Computer is running Windows 10 Pro.

Do any of you see any issues in using this computer for both sequencing and as a show computer?  Recommend upgrading anything?

Thanks in advance.

For your show computer, you can get away with a fairly low end computer.  Until 2 years ago, I was using an ancient XP desktop with a 6,000 or so channel show without any issues.  Even though I am now running about 66,000 channels, I could likely still run that old computer, but I really wanted to get away from XP, and I did not want to attempt to upgrade that old computer to Windows 7 or 10.

For what you are planning on running, your friend's computer should be fine for both sequencing and running the show.

You should be good with your computer or prospective computer. As Jim was saying, it doesn't take a lot. I personally believe in providing more resources to allow the computer to work easier for you but for your first year(s), you should be just fine and probably well into pixels too. You need to get really busy, really fast because time is running out. Normally, its suggested that you begin with things in January but this late, you can still get it done depending on the number of sequences you create vs the number of props that you'll have. One nice thing to remember is that "You" become an artist in lights! Your show will never look like anyone else's. Each year, I review mine via videos to see what I need to improve on or fix, then do that. Right now, I'm now starting to test things in preparation for the coming season.

11 hours ago, dgrant said:

You should be good with your computer or prospective computer. As Jim was saying, it doesn't take a lot. I personally believe in providing more resources to allow the computer to work easier for you but for your first year(s), you should be just fine and probably well into pixels too. You need to get really busy, really fast because time is running out. Normally, its suggested that you begin with things in January but this late, you can still get it done depending on the number of sequences you create vs the number of props that you'll have. One nice thing to remember is that "You" become an artist in lights! Your show will never look like anyone else's. Each year, I review mine via videos to see what I need to improve on or fix, then do that. Right now, I'm now starting to test things in preparation for the coming season.

I am hoping that my benefit is that I have had a large static display for years, so my props are there.  Just time to kick it up a notch!

Personally, I think its the sequencing and infrastructure that takes the most time. If you haven't already, need to figure out your extension cords or make them from SPT2 wire and vampire plugs. Communications from your computer to the controllers. Setting ID's on each controller and insuring they all are communicating with the computer. Then sequencing! average users take about 3 hours for every 1 minute of music and depending on how complex your display is. There's a steep learning curve for either S4 or S5. If you are just beginning, you might as well learn S5. Make sure you have the appropriate license for your number of controllers. If you are going to expand, might as well go Pro.

On 8/5/2020 at 7:51 AM, dgrant said:

Would upgrading the memory to 32 be helpful or overkill?

1 hour ago, GRG said:

Would upgrading the memory to 32 be helpful or overkill?

Not an issue...  yet.

Hi i'm also planning on using one computer to sequence on ,An another to run show on this year .  running shows for over ten years but always on one computer. Using S5 now .on show computer what files do you have to download just the sequence? to run show .

Edited by Dennis Laff

I am not sure, but I THINK it would be the media, .play.lms, and .lid files for each song.  I also sequence and run show on different computers, but for both computers, they are using the file server for the files.  That way what each computer sees as L: is really the same folder on the server, so I don't have to do anything to move the files.

• The topic was locked