Light-O-Rama Forums

dwell at the beginning of songs

weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com

is there a way to do this? the preview doesn't register fast enough for me to see the first couple words of the song im working on...

Can you add some time to the song in another instance of the sequence?

This would be bad.

Or I can sequence it in S4 and send it over. 

Got me curious now, I’m gonna have to try it.

JR

8 hours ago, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

is there a way to do this? the preview doesn't register fast enough for me to see the first couple words of the song im working on...

Go into Audacity and add a second or two of silence at the beginning of the audio file.  Most of my songs are set up that way.  The only lighting that takes place during that time a couple static channels that are on all the time, and usually I ramp up the column lights during that time.

If I put an on event at time zero and press play, the Preview lights up instantly, regardless of where the music starts.

It seems to me that If the Preview is lagging that far behind, either the music is misaligned or the computer is lagging for some reason.

Two things, you could check if it is the pc that is lagging. Test with a controller and actual lights and see if that is delayed.

You can also play the sequence at half speed to see things in more detail. Toolbar dropdown above the slope controls.

10 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

If I put an on event at time zero and press play, the Preview lights up instantly, regardless of where the music starts.

I will disagree with that statement.  I would consider this miss operation to be normal (as in it always does it on every sequence on every computer).  It ALWAYS does it if more than a couple channels are playing.  My primary sequencing computer is a very fast i7 with a ton of RAM, and what was the fastest video card you could buy two years ago.  Once the preview starts displaying, it is in sync - just the first half second or so (never stopwatched it), never displays.  The actual lights play fine - and the only thing that is normally hooked up to that computer is the 54K+ channels of the P5 and P10 panels.  It does not matter if "Control Lights" is enabled or not.

I can only repeat that I see zero delay if I put an event close to zero time. I'm not advocating that as a best practice, but my preview is instantly in sync. That is with all channels driven.

I just cut the leading silence off a song (1.3 secs) and skewed  the sequence left to match. Zero lag and in sync from the first note at zero time.

Quick video, Repeats 3 times.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pggi323tl6sscd6/dwell.mpg?dl=0

7 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

I can only repeat that I see zero delay if I put an event close to zero time. I'm not advocating that as a best practice, but my preview is instantly in sync. That is with all channels driven.

I just cut the leading silence off a song (1.3 secs) and skewed  the sequence left to match. Zero lag and in sync from the first note at zero time.

The problem with this particular song Bebe Rexa Count on Christmas is her words start at .010. In S4 I can catch it. My preview got all jacked up so I could not spend all day trying to fix my singing props. My ME rows a re all jumbled, no matter what I do. 

I made a video and sent it to my friend to show in S4 no dwell. 

If nothing else I can send him 1 second and he can import into S5

JR

11 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Go into Audacity and add a second or two of silence at the beginning of the audio file.  Most of my songs are set up that way.  The only lighting that takes place during that time a couple static channels that are on all the time, and usually I ramp up the column lights during that time.

Its singing faces so cant add to it, well could but all of the other parts are done.

JR

Playing around with this a little more. I turned ON, in Preferences/Playback "Highlight Current Column. Very difficult to sequence with that on. I always just have the With a Moving Marker  turned on, and No Color Sample in the first box. 

Could this be what you. are seeing.

Jim, Phil

How do y’all get any sequences finished when every time I open S5 the props and channels are all out of whack?

I spend more time “trying” to fix things than actually sequencing.

Just wondering if I am missing something here.

JR

I’ll post a video of what I’m getting in a bit. It’s gonna be later though 

Here ya go guys. No matter where I start the songs. It always has the delay. It hasn’t been a problem on any of my songs until this one. So I’ve just dealt with setting the grid a little behind where I wanna see.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

Playing around with this a little more. I turned ON, in Preferences/Playback "Highlight Current Column. Very difficult to sequence with that on. I always just have the With a Moving Marker  turned on, and No Color Sample in the first box. 

Could this be what you. 

3 minutes ago, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

Here ya go guys. No matter where I start the songs. It always has the delay. It hasn’t been a problem on any of my songs until this one. So I’ve just dealt with setting the grid a little behind where I wanna see.

Also, yes, when controlling lights. It does fine in the beginning.... this was why I was asking if I could put a dwell,,, just to put the lyrics a little ahead of the beginning. 

.... it’s pretty rare for songs to just come up with words. But to this one. I can just guess.... or like JR said earlier, get him to shoot me the 1st or 1.5 second of it so it’s 100% correct. 

3 hours ago, dibblejr said:

How do y’all get any sequences finished when every time I open S5 the props and channels are all out of whack?

Define "Out of Whack"?  I have never had that as a problem.  Note however that almost everything in my sequences is SuperStar Effects, and not done in Sequencer.

3 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Jim, Phil

I spend more time “trying” to fix things than actually sequencing.

Just wondering if I am missing something here.

JR

Jr,

Answered this here.

Alan...

JR.

This might be better taken to a new thread, and perhaps Matt would chime in although he doesn't seem to be about as much lately.

I agree with Alan's comments and will just add a couple more.

I am guessing that you deal with a lot of third party sequences and move a lot of stuff around possibly saving with new names or saving as. 

It is very easy to get the Sequence and the preview out of sync at which point it can eat its own tail as one updates the other. I'll bet you have a long list of previews some of which are auto generated when you open sequences not your own. It is very easy to select a wrong similar preview which perhaps you changed and then forgot. 

If it were me I would sandbox the sharing and collaboration stuff on a separate machine and keep my own stuff in its own space where nothing can get to  it, keeping my previews and sequences in quarantine, so to speak, so they can't catch anything.

I have one active preview, a copy of it, and that is all, If I need to update it, I work on the copy and get it the way I want it. I will then make o copy of the sequence and apply the new preview to the copy and save the sequence copy, I number my previews with a version number so I always have the latest.

Reopen the sequence and see if every thing is clean. If so then i will add the new preview to each sequence in turn until they are all done. Much like the S4 config file.

This got a lot longer than I expected so I'll stop there and let you see if any of this is useful so far.

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Define "Out of Whack"?  I have never had that as a problem.  Note however that almost everything in my sequences is SuperStar Effects, and not done in Sequencer.

Whenever I open up a sequence (this happened lately) and go to my preview to copy paste inside my faces the ME rows are either gone or all props are  scattered. Meaning my singing faces , matrix and all, are back just totally out of order. Luckily I use groups and have labelled most of my props. To put them back in order takes hours.

It happened back in January however when I updated to the latest S5 v I have not experienced until last week.

I rarely use SS to add to S5. I have used it but most of mine are created in S4 so I can share them or from previous years. But that should have nothing to do with copy and pasting from the default preview. I just cant get it and when I try to add a new ME row nothing changes even though I am creating them per my props. IE. Take a singing face. I pixel pack so I have 2 groups per prop. Group 1 is Outline, Upper Lip and Vowel Mouth, Group 2 is Top Lip, O mouth, Mid Lip and Bottom lip. 

I have (had) ME rows for each prop within the group giving me full control over that channel.

I also have the individual channels for each prop and they are labeled for example Face 1 Outline - 68 pixels - pixel 1 -18 I do not use the hyphen's in the channels. 

When I open the sequence that was working fine, to add the singing parts almost all of the props are out of order and open in the preview as if I have opened "view all props" however it is my JRs Halloween Preview shown.

Also some channels within the prop disappear. Wnen I go to prop def, it shows correct number of pixels and when I try to add of course I get conflicts that I cant even see.

When I go back to the sequence frustrated and try to add channels, the sequence and missing channels appear. However the ME rows are still absent.

When I play the sequence the singing face sequence is controlling the entire prop- all mouth movement working at the same time.

Hopefully that is a little clearer than mud but its the best I can get being fairly new to the S5 world. (completely new to S5)

JR  

23 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

I do the same thing Phil, cut off the entire beginning, as well as the ending silent parts of a song. 

And I'm using a DINOSAUR of a a computer and I don't have any lag time either, lights go on instantly, same as yours as soon as the song starts and lighting commands start at ZERO time.

2 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

JR.

This might be better taken to a new thread, and perhaps Matt would chime in although he doesn't seem to be about as much lately.

I agree with Alan's comments and will just add a couple more.

I am guessing that you deal with a lot of third party sequences and move a lot of stuff around possibly saving with new names or saving as. 

It is very easy to get the Sequence and the preview out of sync at which point it can eat its own tail as one updates the other. I'll bet you have a long list of previews some of which are auto generated when you open sequences not your own. It is very easy to select a wrong similar preview which perhaps you changed and then forgot. 

If it were me I would sandbox the sharing and collaboration stuff on a separate machine and keep my own stuff in its own space where nothing can get to  it, keeping my previews and sequences in quarantine, so to speak, so they can't catch anything.

I have one active preview, a copy of it, and that is all, If I need to update it, I work on the copy and get it the way I want it. I will then make o copy of the sequence and apply the new preview to the copy and save the sequence copy, I number my previews with a version number so I always have the latest.

Reopen the sequence and see if every thing is clean. If so then i will add the new preview to each sequence in turn until they are all done. Much like the S4 config file.

This got a lot longer than I expected so I'll stop there and let you see if any of this is useful so far.

All sequences are all mine or the team 3 of us. Been like this since 2016. Mostly S4 imported in to S5 which is not sup to be a problem and everything on that end has been almost perfect. All props were built in S5 or imported (Brian's Circle Props) from his link within s5.

The problem is, it all was perfect from March 17 Covid Show until last week. However I do not get on the show / S5 as much since no show up. When I opened up my dummy sequence to copy paste the test song from Weightofast is when I noticed the issue.

Attempts to reinsert ME rows are not successful and create their own problems.

I will start a new thread very soon. 

Thank you and everyone for your thoughts.

Standby for a new thread.

JR