Light-O-Rama Forums

ELOR or 1.31

nunofernandes

Adding my first set of Pixcon16 to the show this year.

Rest of the show is all AC and dumb RGB.

Should i stick with LOR protocol or go to 1.31 for the Pixcon?

All other controllers are Gen3 so ELOR should work.

Do i have to disconnect the show PC from the internet to use 1.31? I like to use teamviewr to access the show computer and start shows manually when im in the yard, but if its offline, that wont work...

Thoughts?

As for running the Pixcon16 on ELOR or E1.31, a couple things to think of.  As long as your existing controllers can operate at 500K and ELOR, you can run the Pixcon16 in ELOR mode,  Another thing to think of is how many channels will be used on the network.  A 500K ELOR network is good for about 1200 pixels or 3600 channels.  If you need more than that on the Pixcon 16, you could run the Pixcon 16 on a separate ELOR network at 1000K speed.  That would give you about 2400 pixels or 7200 channels.

If you switch to using the Pixcon 16 on E1.31, all the above discussion goes out the window.  However the decision is largely up to you.  Personally I use E1.31 for most of my show.

51 minutes ago, nunofernandes said:

Do i have to disconnect the show PC from the internet to use 1.31? I like to use teamviewr to access the show computer and start shows manually when im in the yard, but if its offline, that wont work...

No.  My show computer has two NICs - one my E1.31 network and one on my "normal" home network.  I routinely use TeamViewer to remotely access the show computer.  And just for good measure, my server (which runs the year round landscape lighting show), has three networks.

Jim, your awesome, thanks for the info. I think  I will need to run the show on E1.31 because of the amount of channels.

I currently have 10 AC Gen3 controllers, 8 CMBD24's, and adding 3 PIXcon16's for the new matrix. (first time moving into smart pixels) was going to use each port on the Pixcon to run 170 pixels (power injecting at pixel 80 on each row). each row of the matrix is going to be 170 pixels, 42 rows high

the Matrix is going to be 7140 nodes (21,420 Channels) with 42 universes.

Will I have to run multiple networks?

can you help me understand how to do that? Currently using a RS485 w/booster to run a single Cat5 to the outdoor display. do i need to run more cables?

You should be able to run your ac and cmb controllers off your LOR booster without any issues. You will need to run another cat5 from your computers ethernet port to run the pixcon's in E1.31 mode.

can i use the existing cable to a switch, and then from that switch go to a DMX bridge to run the AC controllers in DMX, and another wire off the switch to the Pixcon's?

If you are asking if you can use one cable for both you RS-485 serial network, and an E1.31 LAN, the answer is no.

Not directly.  You could have a DMX output from an E1.31 controller that could then control LOR AC or DC controllers in DMX mode.

The pixcon has that output right? If this is all true and it actually works, it can all be done from the single cable, theoretically.. i think 

Page 15 of the manual for the Pixcon 16 indicates to me that it can perform as a bridge from E 1.31 to DMX and with the jumpers set to LOR, will output LOR from those ports. I don't have one so I can't be sure so someone else will have to chime in. You could ask LOR in a helpdesk ticket, also. Personally, it strikes me as a rather complex solution, just to run a single wire, and you will surely have to pay very close attention to what you plug in where.

http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/Pixcon16Manual.pdf 

The jumpers on any of our boards just re-map the physical pins the data is sent on, they never effect protocol.  

So an E1.31 PixCon16 has 4 bridge ports that work in DMX mode.  Those 4 bridge ports will only ever output DMX, but can do so on either pins 4 & 5 ("LOR") or 1 & 2 ("DMX") depending on how the jumpers are set.

Remember, LOR was one of the first to offer lighting data on twisted pair cables.  We decided on using pins 4 & 5.  Later the ESTA standardized on pins 1 & 2.  The jumpers on all of our boards just let you shift data from one set of pins to the other.