Light-O-Rama Forums

Time to start testing

dgrant

Its that time again. Time to begin testing, repairing and making the changes to our displays with new props, new songs and new controllers. Just yesterday, I discovered my USB/RS485 w/booster, had failed. It was working last season but now its dead. I have a spare so I'm good and it worked. Sending the failed one in for repair. Anyway, light strips, nodes, led strings, wiring, connectors, communications and more, all need to be verified before we are out of time and discover an issue!

Just curious, How much do they charge for that repair. I would have thought it would have been cheaper to buy a new one.

3 hours ago, dgrant said:

Its that time again. Time to begin testing, repairing and making the changes to our displays with new props, new songs and new controllers. Just yesterday, I discovered my USB/RS485 w/booster, had failed. It was working last season but now its dead. I have a spare so I'm good and it worked. Sending the failed one in for repair. Anyway, light strips, nodes, led strings, wiring, connectors, communications and more, all need to be verified before we are out of time and discover an issue!

I have everything I am using this year physically built and will be testing soon. I will also begin sequencing soon. Lots of work left to do but still plenty of time.

I have a lot of work this year.  A lot of the pixels and controllers are being replaced (they're old and have developed some reliability issues).  All the new pixels and controllers have been tested.  My pixel tree is being rebuilt to go from 24 x 100 to 26 x 100.  And I'm adding some Holiday Coro candy canes that have been in the garage for 2.5 years.  Lastly I'm adding 50 Peace pixel stakes.  I need to do quite a bit of the hardware work still, and there is a ton of sequencing changes.  Besides the changed props, I have been completing the "proper" migration to S5.  Although I have been running S5 for several years, most of the sequencing was exported from SuperStar in legacy format.  That works, but essentially can't be modified.  So this year I am deleting the legacy export, and redoing almost everything as "Insert SuperStar effects".  Taking the opportunity to tweek a lot of stuff too.  Fortunately right now I have a lot of time available.  I am off work for a month for some surgery recovery, and I can't do any heavy work, so lots of time in front of the computer sequencing.

Gonna be a busy summer...

4 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

Just curious, How much do they charge for that repair. I would have thought it would have been cheaper to buy a new one.

$30 plus roundtrip shipping costs

I tested my S5 stuff for Covid and have a lot of work still converting all of my led/ incan singing faces to RGB. Luckily I have an entire choir of the Light O Rama singing quartet and I have 8 singing C9 as well as 4 custom singing trees so that gets me started for Christmas.

Halloween is getting so close and at 103 deg outside pushing a lot of nodes is not going to be easy.

JR

• The topic was locked