Light-O-Rama Forums

Possible to Dynamically Generate an Animation?

lightsup411

Hi all,

I am wondering if it is possible to program a light sequence that takes in information and generates an animation based on that data.

My application is an interactive art installation.  There are a few triggers that participants can activate.  I will have a script that contains counter variables, that keeps track of how many times the sensors are triggered.  

I would like to create a light sequence that reflects the values of those variables.  For instance, imagine a bar graph reflecting the proportions of how many times the sensors have been triggered.

Is this something within the realm of possibility in LOR?  I'll be programming it of use with a Falcon PiCap and using addressable leds (ws2812)

Any insight appreciated!  Thanks.

Possible, but may not overly easy.  There is no "on the fly" sequence generation.  You can create a sequence and have that sequence be triggered by an external event.  You can have as many of those as you want.  So depending on how many possible permutations you end up, would dictate how possible it is.  For example if you had eight permutations, you could write eight sequences and have your counter trip the appropriate input which in turn would start that sequence.  Doing it with eight may not be that hard, doing it with hundreds would be impractical!

I see you got a similar way to do this over on the Falcon forum.  Although the terminology is different, the concept over there is pretty much the same as I suggested here.

2 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I see you got a similar way to do this over on the Falcon forum.  Although the terminology is different, the concept over there is pretty much the same as I suggested here.

Yep, that's me!

Just trying to cover my bases.  Sounds like by the end of today I will have bothered every person in the open source lighting community about it 😅  Just trying to do my research.

I appreciate all the help I've gotten, thank you everyone who has replied !

I do something a little like this.  Its not real time its delayed by the time it takes to save,pull,create.   But it does generate a 5-20 second sequence based on user input and then plays it.  It takes 3-10 seconds to create the sequence.   This requires its own show computer. 

Edited by ItsMeBobO

• The topic was locked