Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB 16 Kit

Guest guest

TED wrote:

grandad wrote:
David, it's my understanding that the amperage rating is irrespective of the voltage supply, 120 or 240.

i.e. 120volts gives 2400watts TOTAL load per bank, 4800watts per controller. (20amps per bank)

240volts gives 4800watts TOTAL load per bank, 9600watts per controller. (20 amps per bank)

That does not sound correct to me as it would violate ohm's law. It it was for example 2400 watts total then it would be 20 amps at 120 volts OR 10 amps at 240 volts.

TED

The limitation is due to the heat dissipation capability of the heat sinks on the triacs. The triacs drop a fixed voltage, regardless of the supply current. So the power dissipation of the triacs is strictly a function of current and independent of voltage.

-jim-

TED wrote:

grandad wrote:
David, it's my understanding that the amperage rating is irrespective of the voltage supply, 120 or 240.

i.e. 120volts gives 2400watts TOTAL load per bank, 4800watts per controller. (20amps per bank)

240volts gives 4800watts TOTAL load per bank, 9600watts per controller. (20 amps per bank)

That does not sound correct to me as it would violate ohm's law. It it was for example 2400 watts total then it would be 20 amps at 120 volts OR 10 amps at 240 volts.

TED

Hi Ted,

Not sure I understand your reasoning :D

I believe Ohm's Law states P=V*I (power = volts times amps)

So 240 x 20 = 4800Watts

The L-O-R spec shows 20amps per bank and there are 2 banks per controller.

Therefore @ 240volts that works out to 4800 watts per bank, totalling 9600watts per controller.

Does that make sense? :)

[ -jim- I concur on the Triac limitations]

Martin

DYI KIT question- Dan@ Light-O-Rama, or anyone else that might have an idea. I am curious to know. Is there any plans for a sequence for download purposes so we can test our kits once they are built. To make sure that everything is working ok once assembled. (Kind of like the test you do before sending out units). Just wondering, thanks

I am planning on purchasing the kit as well. I plan on creating a sequence to first cycle each channel on then off. Then a chase. Test each channel for each effect and At some point make sure that the controller would support all channels on at the same time.

I purchased my first controller earlier this year and got one of the batch that had the bad voltage regulators. In the threads discussing that Dan mentioned that they would be modifying their test to include an all on section.

I am planning on ordering this kit, but I was wondering if you can order it as part of the starter package, just like the showtime or hobbyist products.

I also was wondering if there were any plans on making an 8 channel DIY kit.

musicman wrote:

I am planning on ordering this kit, but I was wondering if you can order it as part of the starter package, just like the showtime or hobbyist products.

You have to have a starter kit in order to get started. Period.

You don't order the showtime or hobbyist as part of the starter package. They are seperate items. This will be no different.

Order a starter package.
Order a DIY Kit.
Then go purchase an enclosure and power cords.

Even wrote:

The kit directions specify using 20w and 40w. What temperatures would that be equivalent to?

I'm also waiting for an answer to this question.

grandad wrote:

Not sure I understand your reasoning :)

I was simply questioning the statement that the amp rating was irrespective of voltage. I would think that the amp rating would be dependant on a specific voltage. I don't think that you can safely assume that you could pull the same amperage at 240V. Dan or John could better answer the question(s) about the board's specification(s).

TED