Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequence Editor hangs

jnealand

I have been using the latest version of the the sequence editor and every now and then LOR just locks up. I cannot even end task. I have to turn the computer off to get control. The CPU uilization is only in the 1 or 2% range, so I am not using all the cycles. This usually happens when I have started another program like excel in order to update my channel notes and then try to go back to LOR. It also only happens after I have worked or demo'd several sequences. My system is WinXP, 2GB memory, 320GB hard drive and a Core 2 processor. I have not noticed any problems other than with LOR2. Does not happen every time I use LOR, but what I recall is that everytime it happens I will have been using LOR for at least half an hour and also have other programs open and I have switched back and forth between all the open programs. This computer is a laptop and I do not recall having any similar problems on my desktop.

Looking for any thoughts or anything I can do besides having to do a hard power off to recover. I am a semi retired computer tech and not a novice at working on software issues, but I am not a programmer.

I might be off the mark here, but on occasion I have had a similar problem on a new laptop I am using. In my case, it was fixed by not allowing it to go into sleep mode. I turned off the power saving features while working on sequences. I found that when the laptop went into a power saving mode, it turned off the USB ports and when it would come out of sleep mode, the LOR USB driver froze the computer. Other USB devices did not cause this issue. I have not had the problemin months since I made that change. You might be having some similar issue.

I don't think it is a sleep mode issue since this happens when I am sitting there doing things and typically happens when I decide to close everything out and leave the computer. This computer is typically powered via AC and up 24/7 when it is at the house. It is only off when it is on the road with me. On AC it never goes into sleep / hibernation, etc., but it is configured to do that when on battery. Since I am in a service business, I need to be sure that when I go to a customer site, I have a fully charged battery which is why it always plugged in when at home. Good idea though.

• 1 month later...

After you end the task, try unplugging the USB cable from the computer, and poof it's gone. At least it works for me. This problem has been haunting me for weeks, and I just tried that for kicks about 5 minutes ago.

--Mike