Light-O-Rama Forums

Odd channel issue

k6ccc

I have an off channel issue.  Let's see if anyone can come up with a reason.

My porch steps are three strips of dumb RGB strip.  The top step is AuxA, Unit ID 12, Channel 1 - 3.  The middle step is Channels 4 - 6, and the bottom step is channels 9 -11.  The Preview has those correct channel assignments, and until this evening the channels were working correctly.  The three steps were set up in a group that was arranged as a horizontal stack.  That made sense because in my old SuperStar visualizer layout, they were placed horizontally on the grid.  I am currently in the middle of reshuffling channels to fully use SuperStar "properly" within the S5 Sequencer, so this seems to be a good time to change that to a vertical stack so it makes more sense.  After I did that, the bottom step is coming up with the channel colors wrong.  I have tried changing colors, changing which pixels are selected, even deleted the scenes in SuperStar and manually rebuilding them (not copying from another copy of SuperStar).  Nothing has helped.  This crappy video shows the issue.

Any ideas?

Shot in the dark. Is channel level enabled in the right click grid menu. Not exactly sure what it does but it gets gid of the crosshatch.

4 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

Shot in the dark. Is channel level enabled in the right click grid menu. Not exactly sure what it does but it gets gid of the crosshatch.

If I open up the member props within the group, yes, channel level is enabled.  However this is essentially always gonna be sequenced in SuperStar (or at least always has been in the past).

BTW, although my quickie video shows modifying an existing SuperStar Effect, I get the same result if I create a new SuperStar Effect.  However if I either Insert Motion Effect or sequence directly in Sequencer, it works correctly.

Spent quite a while yesterday and could not come up with any resolution on this.

Hello @Matt and @Brian - Got a bug.  This could be in Sequencer, or it could be in SuperStar, but I suspect it is the interface between the two.  Warning, this is gonna get long.

I did a bunch of troubleshooting last night and this morning, and have come up with repeatable test conditions between two different computers.  One is Windows 7 Pro and the other is Windows 10 Pro.  Both are running LOR 5.4.2 Pro.

For the tests, I created a total of five new previews that differ only with the channel assignments for the three RGB channels.

Let's see if this comes out looking right (never used the Insert code function on this forum).

<pre>
Preview name     Top step              Middle step             Bottom step
Steps test 1     AuxA, ID 12, Ch 1-3   AuxA, ID 12, Ch 4-6     AuxA, ID 12, Ch 9-11
Steps test 2     AuxA, ID 12, Ch 1-3   AuxA, ID 12, Ch 4-6     AuxA, ID 12, Ch 7-9
Steps test 3     AuxA, ID 12, Ch 1-3   AuxA, ID 12, Ch 4-6     AuxA, ID 12, Ch 8-10
Steps test 4     AuxA, ID 12, Ch 1-3   AuxA, ID 12, Ch 11-13   AuxA, ID 12, Ch 7-9
Steps test 2     AuxA, ID 12, Ch 2-4   AuxA, ID 12, Ch 5-7     AuxA, ID 12, Ch 8-10
</pre>

For each test preview, I created a simple sequence.  In each case, the sequence was manually created in SuperStar (no copy & paste).  Test 1 is my current channel arrangement from my Christmas Preview..  Test 2 is what would be considered a "normal" layout with the three steps in channel order (and the only one that worked right).  Test 3 moved to a different channel assignment for the bottom step.  Test 4 left the top and bottom steps in a "normal" arrangement, but moved the middle step.  Test 5 was an almost normal arrangement except that the starting channel was offset by one.

The test sequence created for each preview should have been as follows:

<pre>
On 0.5 second intervals:
Top step Red, then middle step Red, then bottom step Red, then 
Top step Green, then middle step Gree, then Bottom step Green, then 
Top step Blue, then middle step Blue, then bottom step Blue, then 
Top step White, then middle step White, then bottom step White, then again
Top step White, then middle step White, then bottom step White.
</pre>
<pre>
And the results were as follows:
Using Preview   Top step              Middle step           Bottom step
Steps test 1    R>R, G>G, B>B, W>W    R>R, G>G, B>B, W>W    R>G, G>B, B>-, W>C
Steps test 2    R>R, G>G, B>B, W>W    R>R, G>G, B>B, W>W    R>R, G>G, B>B, W>W
Steps test 3    R>R, G>G, B>B, W>W    R>R, G>G, B>B, W>W    R>B, G>-, B>-, W>B
Steps test 4    R>R, G>G, B>B, W>W    R>B, G>-, B>-, W>B    R>R, G>G, B>B, W>W
Steps test 5    See below
</pre>

Test 5 was so screwed up that I could not express it on the chart above, so it gets it's own chart.

<pre>
What should have been   What actually happened
Top step Red            Top step Blue
Middle step Red         Middle step Blue
Bottom step Red         Bottom step Blue
Top step Green          Middle step Red
Middle step Green       Bottom step Red
Bottom step Green       no lights
Top step Blue           Middle step Green
Middle step Blue        Bottom step Green
Bottom step Blue        no lights
Top step White          Top step Blue, and Middle step Yellow
Middle step White       Middle step Blue, and Bottom step Yellow
Bottom step White       Bottom step Blue
</pre>

In all cases, the sequences displayed correctly within SuperStar, and if I created the sequence either directly in Sequence Editor, or with Motion Effects, the sequence displayed correctly.

So, it would appear that the interface between Sequencer and SuperStar is not happy with non-standard channel arrangements.