Light-O-Rama Forums

Feature Request: Have arrow keys scroll timeline in Sequence editor

Brad Stucky

In Superstar you can scroll the timeline by using the arrow keys to move it 1 second forward or back.  (NICE!)  Would it be possible to have that available in the Sequence Editor as well?  Presently the left/right arrow keys move the selected cell cursor which I think is much easier/quicker to do with a mouse.  An alternate would be to scroll the timeline to the next timing mark.  Maybe something could be in  the Sequencer Preferences to adjust the number of seconds or number of timing marks to move the timeline.  The up and down keys could page the track up and down with minor adjustments left to the mouse wheel.  PLEASE?😁

Did you know that if you put your cursor on the bottom bar and use the scroll on your mouse you can go back and forth on the timeline...Not sure if this can help.

Sounds like you are asking for what Scroll Lock does in Excel -- which is likely how we would implement it. If you have access to Excel, give it a try. Just want to confirm that is what you are asking for.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Matt

On 5/6/2020 at 7:00 PM, lanopie said:

Did you know that if you put your cursor on the bottom bar and use the scroll on your mouse you can go back and forth on the timeline...Not sure if this can help.

Yes and thank you, but if I move the mouse cursor to the bottom bar, I just usually grab the bar to move the timeline.   I was looking for a way to move the timeline without have to move the mouse cursor.   It would basically be a time saver if you are entering many events and since I'm able to do that in Superstar, I occasionally find myself trying to do it in the sequence editor.

On 5/7/2020 at 12:04 PM, MattBrown said:

Sounds like you are asking for what Scroll Lock does in Excel -- which is likely how we would implement it. If you have access to Excel, give it a try. Just want to confirm that is what you are asking for.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Matt

I don't have Excel but I do have LibreOffice and checked that out in Librecalc.  Yes!  That is what I'm talking about!  Having it available by engaging Scroll Lock would be great!    Having the option of choosing which arrow function you prefer also keeps the original key behavior available to those that prefer it.   Thanks, Matt.   The only difference I see is that with Scroll Lock in LibreCalc (and Excel?), the up and down arrow basically moves the page up and down by one cell.   Since the mouse wheel already does this in the Sequence editor, what if the Scroll Lock would allow you to page a large track up and down to cover more ground, and a person would then make fine adjustments with the mouse.   That is what I was thinking.  Thanks, Matt.

Edited by Brad Stucky
added info.

6 hours ago, Brad Stucky said:

I don't have Excel but I do have LibreOffice and checked that out in Librecalc.  Yes!  That is what I'm talking about!  Having it available by engaging Scroll Lock would be great!    Having the option of choosing which arrow function you prefer also keeps the original key behavior available to those that prefer it.   Thanks, Matt.   The only difference I see is that with Scroll Lock in LibreCalc (and Excel?), the up and down arrow basically moves the page up and down by one cell.   Since the mouse wheel already does this in the Sequence editor, what if the Scroll Lock would allow you to page a large track up and down to cover more ground, and a person would then make fine adjustments with the mouse.   That is what I was thinking.  Thanks, Matt.

Matt,  One thing I just noticed related to the arrow keys:  When the Effects Samples sidebar/window is open, this window will remain open if you use the arrow keys (with optional shift key) to select the cell/cells for entering an effect  You can continue to enter effects while using the arrow key to select other cells and then use keyboard shortcuts to enter effects (up/down/down/off/on etc.)  That's a REALLY REALLY nice function.  (I should have discovered that sooner)   When you use the mouse-click to select a cell or cells, the Effects Samples window closes shortly following the mouse click.   I imagine other users as well as I wouldn't want to lose having that window stay open when using the arrow keys for selecting cells.    Being able to turn the timeline scroll off and on with the Scroll Lock is an excellent idea to retain both functions.  I'm guessing that's why you suggested that approach.  Cool!!

Edited by Brad Stucky
I was wrong

On 5/10/2020 at 5:52 PM, Brad Stucky said:

Matt,  One thing I just noticed related to the arrow keys:  When the Effects Samples sidebar/window is open, this window will remain open if you use the arrow keys (with optional shift key) to select the cell/cells for entering an effect  You can continue to enter effects while using the arrow key to select other cells and then use keyboard shortcuts to enter effects (up/down/down/off/on etc.)  That's a REALLY REALLY nice function.  (I should have discovered that sooner)   When you use the mouse-click to select a cell or cells, the Effects Samples window closes shortly following the mouse click.   I imagine other users as well as I wouldn't want to lose having that window stay open when using the arrow keys for selecting cells.    Being able to turn the timeline scroll off and on with the Scroll Lock is an excellent idea to retain both functions.  I'm guessing that's why you suggested that approach.  Cool!!

On 5/10/2020 at 12:57 PM, Brad Stucky said:

Well, guess I just need to play around a bit more with the software.   If you need to move up and down a large track quickly, just place the mouse cursor to the left in the props area and roll the wheel.  Duh!  I guess the request now is just a left/right timeline scroll.  Maybe if I had a mouse wheel that clicked left and right I would find out that does the trick?

UPDATE:   Well I should just plain shut up and read the manual or play with the software more.  Apparently, if you hold down the shift key and scroll the mouse wheel,  the timeline advances, even during playback.  My Feature Request is pointless.  Sorry to have bothered anyone and taken up their time with my ignorance.  Hope someone can learn from all this. 🤪

Edited by Brad Stucky
mistake