Light-O-Rama Forums

S5 Error Opening Com Port 2

dibblejr

Does anyone have any experience with this error?

There is no com port 2 any where on my computer and it is not set up in HU.

This just started last night prior to testing the new show. It magically went away after an hour or so looking. However it is back again this morning.

Thanks

JR

The Comm Listener will display "Error opening comm port: 2" when it cannot open one of the LOR comm ports marked as enhanced in Network Preferences (the identified comm port is always shown as "2" regardless of the actual port with the issue).

Matt

4 minutes ago, MattBrown said:

The Comm Listener will display "Error opening comm port: 2" when it cannot open one of the LOR comm ports marked as enhanced in Network Preferences (the identified comm port is always shown as "2" regardless of the actual port with the issue).

Matt

Thanks, if I am understanding this then any comm ports I have enhanced to that are not being used I can turn off and that will clear it up? If so I need to get on that computer and turn the other unused off.

I had a red adapter burn up yesterday (4 years old). No reason why, it hasn't changed positions in 4 years.

When I replaced it, the USB hub adapter reassigned all 9 networks causing a nightmare. In order to figure out the reassignments I turned some on and forgot to turn them off.

For a few hours I had no com 3, the ports were all over the place and after I got everything set up the show wouldn't play because of this issue.

Than you Matt

JR

57 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Does anyone have any experience with this error?

There is no com port 2 any where on my computer and it is not set up in HU.

This just started last night prior to testing the new show. It magically went away after an hour or so looking. However it is back again this morning.

Thanks

JR

I was getting that same error too in S4.  I found out that it was because I added Comm5, Aux B, 500K, Enhanced to my Network config in advance for when I got my LOR Singing Christmas Trees.  And it kept the comm listener in an endless loop because I do not have an adapter for that Comm5 port.  Just have 1 red adapter {Comm4} and my standard old Black USB485B adapter for Comm3 for my older V2 CTB16PC controllers.  Once I deleted the Comm5 adapter from the Network settings it stopped and everything worked again.

And Thanks Matt for letting us know the error will always show Comm2 when this occurs, because I was going crazy trying to understand why it was saying a problem with Comm2 all the time, when I would have thought it should be telling me Comm5, since that was the most recent Comm port I had added ti the mix.

But wouldn't this actually be considered a bug?   I mean like JR had an adapter go bad, and if you have several adapters in place, wouldn't it be more prudent if the Comm Listener could identify the ACTUAL Comm port that is causing the problem so you'd know exactly where the issue lies?   That's how I would have believed the Comm Listener to function.

Edited by Orville

Turns out the "2" is actually the error code, not the port number. Where it currently shows this in the Comm Listener:

2020-05-06 20:17:51   8:LOR-Reg    [ERROR] Error opening comm port: 2

In the next S5 release, it will show:

2020-05-07 09:04:15   8:LOR-Reg    [ERROR] Error opening comm port: COM9 (code 2)

Matt

18 minutes ago, MattBrown said:

Turns out the "2" is actually the error code, not the port number. Where it currently shows this in the Comm Listener:

2020-05-07 09:04:15   8:LOR-Reg    [ERROR] Error opening comm port: COM9 (code 2)

Matt

Thank you, I had added a total of 18 com ports in NP because of my original 14 ports being reassigned all had to be 500k enhanced.

Once I got everything back up and running per your previous reply I removed the extra 4 ports and no more errors.

Thank you again

JR

50 minutes ago, MattBrown said:

Matt

Nice to know that it's an actual error code.   But for those of us still using versions prior to S5, would be nice if the older Comm Listeners could be upgraded to this format too.