Light-O-Rama Forums

Looking to help with Covid-19 research?

LOR Staff

Edit - 03/24:

After running the client for a day on 3 different machines, I really can't recommend anyone else run this.  I am all for providing help, but the software just seems to have a few too many bugs.  if you are computer savvy, go for it.  Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.  Sorry 😞

Looking to help with research into Covid 19 (and other nasty diseases)?  Sign up for https://foldingathome.org/

Folding at home is a distributed computing project that helps researchers look for cures for some nasty diseases like Alzheimer's, Cancers,  etc.  Currently they are pushing out work looking for answers to Covid-19.

All you have to do is download and install their client.  When you computer has spare processing time, it is put to use 'folding' proteins.  I don't know what that means, but if it helps I'm game!

You can also join the Light-O-Rama team (just created).  Our team number is 249647 

DevMike:  here's a link that explains Computer Protein Folding.   I've got to say it's out of my league.  But maybe you'll understand it better than I.  It is interesting, but very technical from my vantage point.

Here's the link to the PDF file: Teaching computers to fold proteins

Hope you enjoy reading it.

• The topic was locked