Light-O-Rama Forums

Can the show status dialog box be autorun?

FireMedic4Christ

Kevin N wrote:

FireMedic4Christ
wrote:
As for rebooting, I find I have to reboot daily running WinXP. Otherwise it hangs and the next show will not start.

I had the same problem last year. I could not go more than one night in a row without rebooting. This is on a WinXP laptop desighnated solely for LOR...go figure. If anyone has any ideas as to what might cause this...I'm open for suggestions. Thanks.

i had about the same problem. a few weeks ago, i begin to keep my sony desktop running to see if i would have problems keeping it on and i did. my sony has got the hard drives close to each other in the rack with a small gaps in them, i have 3 of them, 1 has OS on it, 2nd with music and files, and the 3rd one is backup. after 1 night with the pc locking up, i look into the problem, it was my hard drives getting way too hot and over heating. and that cause my 2nd drive to click , going bad. to fix that i got a new hard drive to replace that 2nd one. an aftermarket 80mm fan to replace the stock one, more air flow. and i took the backup hard drive out and put the 2 drives on diff sides of the rack, keeping the middle slot open. and then i have to keep the computer cover off , on top of that. no problems, the desktop been running since then, hope this help someone

james

cattlefarmboy wrote:

i had about the same problem. a few weeks ago, i begin to keep my sony desktop running to see if i would have problems keeping it on and i did. my sony has got the hard drives close to each other in the rack with a small gaps in them, i have 3 of them, 1 has OS on it, 2nd with music and files, and the 3rd one is backup. after 1 night with the pc locking up, i look into the problem, it was my hard drives getting way too hot and over heating. and that cause my 2nd drive to click , going bad. to fix that i got a new hard drive to replace that 2nd one. an aftermarket 80mm fan to replace the stock one, more air flow. and i took the backup hard drive out and put the 2 drives on diff sides of the rack, keeping the middle slot open. and then i have to keep the computer cover off , on top of that. no problems, the desktop been running since then, hope this help someone

james

Gee, that is the most odd reason for locking up that I ever heard, but it makes sense I guess. I've heard of memory heating issues that cause locks, but haven't heard of hard drives doing it. I'm thinking your failure may be an ususual one. I would think lockups to be more likely to be USB driver causes or performance settings in Windows.

About leaving the cover off your computer... many computers design cooling air flow to depend on the cover being on so the fan can pull air in the front, across the drives and CPU fins, and then out the back. You might want to review that. If the cover is off, you can get hot spots inside due to lower air flow.

I know you are talking about a desktop unit, but laptop users probably have a different reason for lockups that I mentioned above. On my brand new latop, I was starting to get lockups a couple weeks ago, but quickly realized it was due to the sleep mode. After turning off sleep mode, there were no problems. I was able to confirm that by letting it sleep, then moving the mouse to wake it up and I saw that LOR was hung. I simply removed the USB cable, reconnected it, and LOR started working again. I've never experienced that problem with other USB drivers. There should not be any reason why you can't run the computer with LOR for the whole Christmas season without a lockup.