Light-O-Rama Forums

Power source

72Nova146

I am new, looking at buying my first set up, my main concern is, do I need a seperate power source for each controller or can I use the outdoor plugs that are already there. We have a bunch of LED lights already.

Thank you

LEDs consume very little power so existing power should be adequate.  I run multiple controllers off a single circuit.    Of course, it would depend what else is on the circuit.  

You need LOR Showtime to program the sequences for LOR controllers.

Power: many LED strings allow a dozen to be end to end. the fuse is typically 3A (and a LOR AC channel is 8 if you have a model with the factory heat sinks)

FWIW I converted all my CTB16's to single cord since most of what I have is LED (and a few single C7 bulb incan props), 

A typical outlet will support 1200W (no other loads on the branch). That is a insane amount of LED strings (<slap>, this is a LOR group. insane amount is the norm 😛 )

7 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

A typical outlet will support 1200W (no other loads on the branch). That is a insane amount of LED strings (<slap>, this is a LOR group. insane amount is the norm 😛 )

a box of LEDs I used the other day said the max end to end was 90 strings (200 W) - I wasn't sure if that was meant to be a challenge or not... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was hoping someone could help me, still reading and trying to understand what works with what. I am looking at buying the starter package for 579.00, will the CTB16PC3 work as an add on controller?

Thank you

1 minute ago, 72Nova146 said:

I was hoping someone could help me, still reading and trying to understand what works with what. I am looking at buying the starter package for 579.00, will the CTB16PC3 work as an add on controller?

Thank you

Everything LOR sells in its store works with LOR.

CTB16PCG3 works with store bought LED or incan strings. This is a 110v controller so anything that you can plug into a wall outlet will pretty much work.

CMB24D is a low voltage controller which works with dumb RGB lights or anything low voltage once you gain some experience and learn how to use the individual channels.

Pixie 2, 4, 8. 16 are smart pixel controllers used strictly on a LOR network. These are used for pixels which are individually addressable.

Pixcon16 is an advanced smart pixel controller for individually addressable pixels which can be used on either a E1.31 high speed network or the LOR RS485 network.

What more do you need to know?

58 minutes ago, 72Nova146 said:

Thank you

72Nova146

The starter package you mention is the one with the mini director included and a FM transmitter. It depends if you had intended to run your show with a computer or not.

I started with the less expensive starter package http://store.lightorama.com/rese16chstpa.html at $317, it has everything you need to get started at a little less cost. Of course this is only if you plan to run your show with a laptop or desktop computer. If like most of us you are going to need a computer anyway to sequence your display most likely, so think about this first.

The FM transmitter will also be needed if you plan to sequence your display to music and project that music to the cars driving by to see your show, there are good ones available on Amazon that a lot of us use, around $50-60 if I remember correctly. I have been using a CZH-05 for 5 years now without a problem, but I just looked and its price has risen to $99. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FO4UHW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A couple things, if you wait for the spring sale all the LOR products are usually discounted to save some bucks, just sign up with them and they will email you the sale info, or keep checking back here and someone will post it. Go ahead and download there software now and start to get used to the sequencing software and you will be way ahead. Also when you purchase your starter package if now or spring sale it would help you if you get an upgraded license instead of the basic, just look at the differances and the amount of controllers you may eventually use.

Welcome to the hobby, some say insanity, at least my wife says that. There is a great bunch here who will and can help with anything you need, so just ask.

Keith

MR P's list forgot to mention that ALL  the DC controllers need a Power supply (PSU) that matches the strings being used: Those could be 5V or 12V. in most cases. For now, Pixie2's are only sold as complete packages (PSU, Pixie, Strings). other than the Pixie4, the others have 'Banks', so it is possible to have 1 bank 12V and the other 5V  (boy  you had better be careful or there will be smoke 😲 if you get the wrong string connected to that bank )

72 , welcome, this is the best place to learn, all the folks here have years of experiance  to share .I am a third year newbie and have learned much and I thank these folks greatly!  I started with one controller and now have 64 channels this year .  Have fun , visit the forums often .   Use your imagination.   All questions are good ones .   There will moments of ,golly how did that happen, there is always an answer here.   Here in Fort Lauderdale we have had the most unusual weather rain, rain and more rain and this is supposed to be the dry season.  The GFCI's were clicking like crazy,  I thought I was going to have to go to the nervous hospital, but the nights it worked and the wonderful people that stopped by made it all worth while. Just do it , plan ahead ,you will do fine!!!!

DLH LITES  4 16 ch controllers built from kits ,   lots and lots of led lights, when I fired up the display this year I stood in the street and thought ,wow I need MORE!!!!!!! Will be shooting a video by a pro if it ever stops raining-GEZZZZZZZZZZZ as soon as done I will post on the forum.

See my display   in My Christmas Display

Best Regards for the New Year

David

Thank you so much. I downloaded the Demo software and now I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to get music on my computer from Amazon music. Hopefully I'll figure it out, i actually got Santa be good to me on the programme but when I clicked sequence all, I got an error. 

Thank you