Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Tree first time use - only one pixel lights

shekmar

Hello, first time LOR / Pixel Tree user here. Finally sifted through the documentation and loaded a We Wish You a Merry Christmas sequence/show and only one pixel on the tree lights up. It is changing colors according to the sequence, I think. A relative of mine set up the hardware (the tree and connections) so maybe something wrong there. What's a good way to test that everything is working correctly? 

For reference:

Hardware: Pixel Tree 16/25, USB485, Pixie8

Software: LOR 5.3.10

Edited by shekmar

Do you mean that only one light (pixel) comes on, or one string?

As Mr. P said, if you have a Basic level license as your profile shows, you can only control two Unit IDs (01 and 02).  Your Pixie8 takes 8 Unit IDs (you assign the first one and it additionally takes the next seven more (counting in hex).

http://www1.lightorama.com/showtime-sequencing-suite/#levels

12 hours ago, shekmar said:

Hello, first time LOR / Pixel Tree user here. Finally sifted through the documentation and loaded a We Wish You a Merry Christmas sequence/show and only one pixel on the tree lights up. It is changing colors according to the sequence, I think. A relative of mine set up the hardware (the tree and connections) so maybe something wrong there. What's a good way to test that everything is working correctly? 

For reference:

Hardware: Pixel Tree 16/25, USB485, Pixie8

Software: LOR 5.3.10

As Mr. P stated, if you have not upgraded your license {PRO is required for most Pixels and Pixel Controllers} and still only have a Basic License, that Pixel Tree is NOT going to run.  Most Pixels require a 500K speed and an Enhanced Network.   If that USB485 is a black adapter, you also need the RED High Speed Adapter, along with the license upgrade to run that pixel tree reliably.  And especially if you may have purchased any used LOR Equipment, like older CTB16PC Controllers that may be connected with the Pixel Tree.  Older Controllers and the newer Pixel Controllers will not get along well on the same network, but newer G3 Controllers and many Pixel Controllers will get along fine together with some exceptions.

So we also need to know what other controllers, if any you have in your display, because also as Mr. P. stated, a Basic license only allows a maximum of 2 controller ID #'s, and with the Pixie at 8 ID's, with Basic you're already 6 ID's over your limit just with that ONE Controller.  So it won't work.

Hi all, thanks for the reply. I checked with the relative and it's a Standard license, not Basic, sorry for the confusion. I've been able to get the LOR Hardware application to run and - the irony - have verified that all pixels work EXCEPT for that one mentioned in the original post. It is constantly a bluish color that dims in the blue spectrum. It appears to be a bad pixel. Either way, I've successfully tooled around with the testing / lighting effects in the Hardware utility and that's where I'm at. 

I'm continuing to play with it tonight. I tried to get the We Wish You A Merry Christmas sample sequence to play but unfortunately it looks like it requires a Pro license.

One question: when I exit the Hardware utility it doesn't seem to save the settings or Unit ID. I have to refresh every time. Is that typical? Any next steps to actually playing a sequence would be helpful but I may get there tonight.

Thanks

41 minutes ago, shekmar said:

Hi all, thanks for the reply. I checked with the relative and it's a Standard license, not Basic, sorry for the confusion. I've been able to get the LOR Hardware application to run and - the irony - have verified that all pixels work EXCEPT for that one mentioned in the original post. It is constantly a bluish color that dims in the blue spectrum. It appears to be a bad pixel. Either way, I've successfully tooled around with the testing / lighting effects in the Hardware utility and that's where I'm at. 

I'm continuing to play with it tonight. I tried to get the We Wish You A Merry Christmas sample sequence to play but unfortunately it looks like it requires a Pro license.

One question: when I exit the Hardware utility it doesn't seem to save the settings or Unit ID. I have to refresh every time. Is that typical? Any next steps to actually playing a sequence would be helpful but I may get there tonight.

Thanks

Many Pixies have Switches (set to ID1 by default). 2 choices: 1) set the correct ID with the switches (chart in the users guide). 2) turn the switch for ID to all 0's and use the HU to set the ID  (handy if the controller is placed where getting at it later, is difficult)