Light-O-Rama Forums

New computer

Erl2015

Hi all! I have a new computer to control our show. Everything is downloaded, all seems great within sequence editor... but for some reason lights don’t go on. All still works on old computer (there’s other issues with that one, hence the changeover) so I know it’s not the wires or lights or anything else outside of the computer itself. Sequences are the same. I’m assuming there’s some setting somewhere that has to be changed on the new computer - but I’m at a loss for what to even check. I’m not great with this level of technology, it’s really my 16 year old son doing this and his knowledge is somewhat limited as well. Any ideas what to look at?

A good place to start would be what version of Lightorama are you running?   Can you connect to your controller from the hardware utility?   

Thank you for responding!! I just downloaded the most recent version yesterday. When I open the hardware utility it says there’s a problem with the port (no matter which USB port I connect controllers to) But the USB port works perfectly for other things... so i have to be missing something here. Hmmm. 

Drivers are here:

https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM21228_Setup.zip

Unplug RS 485 adaptor.

install drivers above.

Check Device Manager Ports  while plugging in adaptor, and watch the com port appear, Note port number.

Apply com port number in HU top left hand side

I’m getting somewhere!!! I managed to make manual connections in the hardware utility... but I can only make one controller work at a time. 

You can only control the selected controller, one at a time. Its for connectivity testing. Check each one for operation  then move on to the sequencer.

That’s where only one at a time works. Inmg the one defined in the hardware utility as “port that will be used for shows”. Thank you for helping - feel so close, it’s almost working! 

You have to close HU before opening sequencer. Two programs cannot access the com port at the same time. Same applies to the show player.

A-ha! OK. I'm getting somewhere for real now, thanks!!! One last thing... we added a new controller and I am only just now realizing that the new controller is responding to the software the same way as the old one... in other words channel 1 on each is doing the same thing, channel 2 same thing... how am I actually supposed to have these connected? I tried connecting both to the computer on different ports and only one would play at a time. Then tried connecting one controller to the other with ethernet cord and they are doing the same things as each other. How do I add a controller but have it do it's own thing?

The controllers are probably both set to ID 01. The new one needs to be different, ID 02, probably. Set with selector switches on the board.

Oh I'm sure they are set to the same thing... where are the selector switches? On the actual controller outside? Or is that something I change in the computer?

• The topic was locked