Light-O-Rama Forums

Need help connecting 3rd controller

RayR

I have 2 controllers working properly. I added a third controller to the network and when I connect it to the 2nd controller it causes the 2nd controller to flash the green light and the lights stop working. I used the hardware utility to change the Unit ID of the new controller to ID 3, 4, 5, 7 and it doesn't seem to resolve the issue. One item to note is that my first 2 controllers are CTB16PC and are about 4 years old and the new one was purchased last year.

Off hand, that sounds like either the new controller or a cable you are using is shorting out the data network.  A couple things to check.  First, visually look at the additional cable and connectors on both ends, and also look at the pins on the RJ-45 jacks on both the 2nd and 3rd controllers.  You are looking for pins that are bent, broken, or out of position (laying on top of another pin).  As a test, hook up the 3rd controller with a short cable (NOT the one you are using to go from the 2nd to 3rd controller) directly to the USB to RJ45 adapter.  Does the status light go to solid green or is it flashing?  If that works, try plugging the 1st controller into the temp relocated 3rd controller.  What do the status lights on all three controllers do?

Thanks Jim. 

I tried the following this morning. 

On controller #2 I tried switching the incoming connection from controller #1 to the right port. This caused the status light to blink. That lead me to believe the RJ45 port was bad. I couldn't see any bent pins. If I plug into the middle port it works fine.

I then decided to eliminate controller #2 and go straight to controller #1. Controller #3 is still blinking. I tried both ports on Controller #3 and both blinked. I tried changing the Unit ID to #2 and a new Ethernet cable. Still couldn't get a solid light.

Any more thoughts?

I appreciate the help.

Ray

Ray

Recommend changing unit ID and putting suspect controller at the end of the line that way you will only be using one of the cat 5 ports, it doesn't matter which port you use incoming and it doesn't matter the order of controllers. Use the controller with the one bad port at the end of line for this season and then after Christmas you could send the controller to LOR for repair.

Keith

Ray

Upon rereading the entire thread I am confused, the way you troubleshot is logical and it seems there must be 2 separate problems, either two bad controller ports or one controller and a bad ethernet cable. I use a inexpensive ethernet cable tester for t/s the cables, purchased it from Amazon for about $10 and its been a timesaver. I wonder if I could use it to t/s the cable and and connector at the same time? I will have to try it and see, without power of course.

Keith

The problem is that a flakey port can come and go with the movement of plugging and unplugging a cable or even the wind moving the cable around.

Try a gentle "wiggle test"

Edited by PhilMassey

I just tried my tester on the controller and it worked, maybe I think, I plugged in a tested good cat 5 to one port of the spare controller, and another tested good cat 5 to the other port and my tester in-between and the tester now came up with only 4 connections. I am assuming the LOR controller is only using 4 of the 8 cat5 wires. So my thinking is the controller 2 ports can be tested this way.

Maybe Jim or another experienced LOR user can confirm the LOR controller only uses 4 wires from a cat5 cable.

Keith

9 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

LOR uses pins 3,4,5 and 6.

Pin 3 is DC  power.

Thats the 4 pins my tester showed. ok cool, Thanks, that confirms I can test my controller with this tester, at least the cat 5 ports which is the only questionable things they have ever gave me.

Keith

In case anyone is looking for a inexpensive cat 5 tester I use this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XZYXN63/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I couldn't find a inexpensive one at Home Depot or Lowes, but I was making my cat5's shorter or repairing and needed a tester and this thing works.

I did some additional testing. 

On controller #2 I plugged the USB/ Ethernet cable into the 2nd port. The light started flashing until I ran the Hardware scan. It then went solid green and I was able to see the controller #2 and turn lights on and off.

Then, I connected Controller #3 to #2 and it started flashing again. I left it connected and went to controller #3 and plugged the USB/Ethernet into the 2nd RJ port. Controller #2 and #3 were flashing until I ran a hardware scan. Then everything was solid and I was able to control the lights on controller #2 and #3. I was not able to see controller #1 when I did a scan on either unit but that is the main one and seems to be working.

I wanted to leave some lights on so I disconnected #3 and the controller #1 and #2 are running. If i plug an Ethernet cable into #2 that is not connected to anything it causes #2 to start flashing. I then tried a short (8') cable and it didn't. 

I then tried another long cable (50') and it also caused it to flash. I then took both of the long cables that make it flash and used them to connect unit 1 and 2 together to test the cables and everything worked fine.

Am  I running into a cable length issue? - I have one 50' connecting 1 to 2 and a 2nd connecting 2 to 3.

This is driving me insane... 

4000' is the total length of a chain of cables. You ain't even close 😛

You are describing bent pins or cracked trace symptoms

AND PLEASE   It is a 'CAT5 cable'.

E1.31 uses Ethernet (found on the Pixcon).  We don't want newbies attaching a RS485 port to an Ethernet switch just because the cables look the same

You shouldn't have an issue with 50 foot cat5 cables, cat5 is usually good for 300 feet I believe, I know I am connecting one controller with a 100 foot cat5 and no issues. Remember what Phil said, sometimes the cat5 is flakey you might fix it or cause a problem just plugging and unplugging.

If you can get them to work by just moving cables go for it, I must have 2 dozen cat5 cables and then I bought the cat5 tester and a crimper for cat5 plugs and cables along with a buch of connectors.

I tried reversing the chain and connected #1 to #3 and then #3 to #2 and I got solid lights and everything is now working!!

I'm so happy I feel like crying.

I appreciate everyone's help. If anyone has a theory why I would love to know.

Ray

Just now, Kapkirk said:

You shouldn't have an issue with 50 foot cat5 cables, cat5 is usually good for 300 feet I believe, I know I am connecting one controller with a 100 foot cat5 and no issues. Remember what Phil said, sometimes the cat5 is flakey you might fix it or cause a problem just plugging and unplugging.

If you can get them to work by just moving cables go for it, I must have 2 dozen cat5 cables and then I bought the cat5 tester and a crimper for cat5 plugs and cables along with a buch of connectors.

the 300  (100M) for number is for Ethernet, not RS485

Ducks

Thanks, I was remembering something but didn't check myself, I was just sure the 50 foot would not be a problem.

• The topic was locked