Light-O-Rama Forums

Singing Witches completed this weekend

Jeff Juneman

This is the rough, first test of my singing Witches. They work almost as well as the singing skulls I did.

HA! That is neat, and funny. Nice job. Looks like a lot of work.

I'm not a Halloween LOR kind of guy as I have enough to do just to prepare for Christmas. Never the less, it would be interesting to know how you do it.

Your just using a DC Card and driving the DC Motors in the witches right? I'm planning on messing around with that 2009.
I picked up some skulls the other day so hopefully we will be ready for 2009.

Thanks for sharing and nice job!
-Evan

I just used the CMB-16D Deluxe DC Card $119.95 to control the current that is sent to the motor that opens the jaw in the skull or the witch. In the attached picture, the red wires are 12 volt DC to power the board, the black wires are 6 volt DC input to be controlled and the clear wires are the 6 volt output to the skull or witch as controlled by the LOR software.

You have to de-construct the product and find the right set of wires that lead to the motor that you want to control. This was real easy in the skulls but a little tougher in the witches.

For the witches, I used the "Spirit Ball" product and tore off the plastic globe and the base and found a set of brown/orange wires that were connected to the motor that opened the jaw.

For the skulls, I used the "Talking Through Boris" product. It is easy to find the wires to the motor as it only took 4 screws to open the thing up.

It worked best if I used ON & OFF as opposed to fades to control the jaw movement.

I found out the hard way that the eyes can only take 3 volts maximum and I burned out 2 sets of them. I'll have to put a resister in line to drop the DC voltage from 6 to 3 volts next time.

That's about it for the "Hack". The LOR programming is the same as doing a light show, you just turn the channel on & off to the sounds...

Attached files 159192=9222-DCBoard.jpg

One last thing... I had to use the channels 9 - 16 as they are on the side that has 6 volts going into it.

Maybe I could have used the other side (Channels 1 - 8) and just limited the on value to 50% (50% of 12 volts = 6 volts). Perhaps I can experiment after Halloween to see if that would work.

Jeff Juneman wrote:

Maybe I could have used the other side (Channels 1 - 8) and just limited the on value to 50% (50% of 12 volts = 6 volts).

The DC board uses pulse width modulation to vary the intensity. This may not work well with motors (as you said you found by experimenting).

Why don't you send the 12v to the DC board's power connector (next to the network connectors)? Then you could use 6v for all 16 channels.

I guess that would have been evident if I had read the instructions a little more closely. A most excellent suggestion!

Great, now I am going to have to build 8 more talking things and program more songs. You know how much more work you just caused me to have?!! LOL