Light-O-Rama Forums

Help with a huge problem

jamdcat

I have had this light o rama system now for sometime with no issues. Let me set up what is going on. Years and years ago when the subdivision was built they put in underground service to the homes. but for some reason they have the houses running off 1 line and has never been a problem till this year. What is happening is when I run my show and has always been the same exact show nothing added to it. This year it is making my interior lights and my neighbors light flicker really bad. I had the utilities out here and they told me the lines are going bad to the houses. Then they do a 180 and tell me it is the system doing this. I have led lights in my home and neighbor has mix of led and old fashion light bulbs. I for the life of me can not understand how my show can affect interior lights next door. They the utilities told me leds are so sensitive and that is why the are flickering. But this has never happened in the past. So this morning dec 5th changed out to old fashion incandescent lights in my house and much to what I suspected they are flickered even worse. Do you have any info I can I can have to make them understand this isnt the show problem and the utilities problem with failing electric lines running to the house. I have had an electrician out here to confirm im not running on the same circuit in my breaker and a few other things. I am running on 1 old number and even number in my breaker box making it not on the same circuit. I am lost from this point thanks., I am only running 1 CTB16PC 16 Channel Controller Show runs perfectly fine. So don't know what is happening

Obviously the utility does not want to incur the expense of repairing their lines.  Hopefully you can get your neighbors to call in the problem also.  There is strength in numbers.   My lights flicker all the time , but I am running a large show of a 100 amp service.  It could also be a transformer that serves the hub going bad.

Edited by Brian Mitchell

This is a utility problem - NOT yours.  If your utility does not want to fix it, you may end up needing to call an electrician.  Two reasons.  First is that an electrician likely has the test equipment to better be able to quantify the problem, and second is that your utility may pay a lot more attention to an electrician (an expert) as opposed to just some "stupid customer who doesn't know what they are talking about".

It appears that there are 2 different technical problems here.

1) Buzz and hum from the dimmers. What you are describing is 'so 1970's '  With modern equipment, LOR and most stuff you get t the home store, this should not be an issue.  Check the quality of your grounds (GREEN wire) all the way, including the ground ROD.  Many communities have replaced METAL water lines. With that, went the OLD ground method. Ground RODS or UFER in newer homes are needed

2) Flicker can be caused by poor connections ANYWHERE in the system. (includes the Utility) Unless your neighborhood heats by electric, Winter loads should now be lower due to more use of LED and CFL than in the 90's and before. That means less stress.  Contact the Public Utilities Commission that REGULATES your Utility. (They blew their chance to do it the friendly way. Don't let another PG&E event happen to your community)

When was the last time your panel was inspected (not the building department type) for connection integrity?  Discoloration of wires near connections or the bodies of the breakers (I I pulled a older, long style Zinsco and had it crumble. It was the others that were holding it together. Got FPE? GET THE PANEL REPLACED. Proven fail to trip.

Same problem , but slight, The display makes our kitchen ceiling led's flicker a little. We had a complete new panel put in this year for inside the house.  The outside ac outlets are on the main panel where the service comes in. I wouldnt think that would happen,but it does . No other lites in the house do it but the kitchen.  We have a great electrictian  and he will come by one evening when the disply is on to take a look see. I will keep yall posted.   HMMMM when I was working on programming I had the four controllers plugged into an single outlet in our dining room and lots of led's connected and when I played a sequence for test , no flicker in the kitchen.  HMMMM

David  

1 hour ago, DLH lites said:

Same problem , but slight, The display makes our kitchen ceiling led's flicker a little. We had a complete new panel put in this year for inside the house.  The outside ac outlets are on the main panel where the service comes in. I wouldnt think that would happen,but it does . No other lites in the house do it but the kitchen.  We have a great electrictian  and he will come by one evening when the disply is on to take a look see. I will keep yall posted.   HMMMM when I was working on programming I had the four controllers plugged into an single outlet in our dining room and lots of led's connected and when I played a sequence for test , no flicker in the kitchen.  HMMMM

David  

Houses in the US have 2 phases (Red and Black is common naming). Your display may just be on the other phase if no flicker. The phase with the flicker is the one with the problem

It may be that the entire neighborhood major loads have all landed in the same phase leg. Have your electrician swap Red with Black  (DO NOT DO THIS if you have 3 phase equipment. very rare in residential. Motors could run backwards and break stuff)

I do have an electrician involved and he inspected everything and has sided with me this isnt my problem. City is just being jerks funny thing is they started getting everything marked and told me they was going to fix the problem and has since did a 180 they marked everything on 3 houses. and they put a meter recorder on all houses they even told me that during the show time I only am pulling 58 amps on everything show and what I have on inside the house. They even showed me the read outs. They even told me lines outside are failing underground feed

update city has caved and are going to fix the problem. They finally admited it is there lines not mine. Now lets see if they follow through.

• The topic was locked