Light-O-Rama Forums

Daisy chain problems with CBT16 controllers

PatC

My net work goes form the PC to Unit 10 to unit 11 to unit 12

Does anyone know what would cause our network to recognize and send instructions to each controller individually, yet linked together only two controllers will appear in Hardware Utility. When all 3 units are linked (no matter which one is first) only two show up no matter what combo I have used, either units 10-11 show up or units  11-12 or units 10-12,  but never all 3 units show up.  I also used new usb cables as well to make sure it wasn't a cable issue.  I have swapped out a new 3rd Gen CBT16 Controller with one of the three ,  to see if one is faulty . They all work,  separate and show up in the Hardware utility separate or as 2 units (found) but never finds the 3 unit yet in any order, only two are ever found. 

1) All controllers have been reset, and assigned IDs again. 
2) we have a Mega pixel tree with CCRs and a Super Star running on a separate Comm. Network  This works fine, and should not affect our other Comms. But who knows, with this stuff, you guys know how it can be.
3) No unit IDs conflict within the problem Comm network , andD no unit IDs are shared even between our 3 Comm networks 

Could this be a settings problem in my Hardware utility or network preference, or a computer issue?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Just in case, Jim is referring to the CAT5 cable going to the one controller NOT showing up.  Connect all three, load the HU and then the one controller that isn't showing up, if it's the 3rd/last controller every time, then it is probably the cat5 going from the 2nd controller to the last.  Now if all 3 are connected and it only finds controllers 11 and 13, but not 12, it could be the cat5 jack in one of the controllers is bad or not making good contact on one side.  Get a bright flashlight and check the contacts in the jacks, if any are bent down, you'll need to find a very sa tool to use the bend them back up GENTLY.  Too much and you could break them.

Other than a bad cat5 or bent contacts in one half of the controllers cat5 jack, this is the only 2 things I can think of that would cause the issue you're having.  Especially since you already tried different USB cables, however a bad USB cable wouldn't allow the HU to communicate with the adapter or find ANY controllers at all.  So you could rule out the USB cable to the adapter and the adapter can be ruled out because it IS finding 2 of the 3 controllers.

Also have you tried refreshing the Controller list several times, the HU is flaky at times and I've had to refresh mine 3 or more times before a controller I kmow is connected and working in the HU.

When you run a sequence and you have lights plugged into all 3, controllers, do all 3 work?  If so, it's the HU and not the controller.  Also are all the Controllers LED's on steady, if so, it's communicating, but the HU isn't finding.  if the LED is on steady, and it all work when a sequence is played, you should be good to go.

17 hours ago, Orville said:

Just in case, Jim is referring to the CAT5 cable going to the one controller NOT showing up.  Connect all three, load the HU and then the one controller that isn't showing up, if it's the 3rd/last controller every time, then it is probably the cat5 going from the 2nd controller to the last.  Now if all 3 are connected and it only finds controllers 11 and 13, but not 12, it could be the cat5 jack in one of the controllers is bad or not making good contact on one side.  Get a bright flashlight and check the contacts in the jacks, if any are bent down, you'll need to find a very sa tool to use the bend them back up GENTLY.  Too much and you could break them.

Other than a bad cat5 or bent contacts in one half of the controllers cat5 jack, this is the only 2 things I can think of that would cause the issue you're having.  Especially since you already tried different USB cables, however a bad USB cable wouldn't allow the HU to communicate with the adapter or find ANY controllers at all.  So you could rule out the USB cable to the adapter and the adapter can be ruled out because it IS finding 2 of the 3 controllers.

Also have you tried refreshing the Controller list several times, the HU is flaky at times and I've had to refresh mine 3 or more times before a controller I kmow is connected and working in the HU.

When you run a sequence and you have lights plugged into all 3, controllers, do all 3 work?  If so, it's the HU and not the controller.  Also are all the Controllers LED's on steady, if so, it's communicating, but the HU isn't finding.  if the LED is on steady, and it all work when a sequence is played, you should be good to go.

Im thinking its a flaky HU since I brought all 3 Controllers inside and used the same usb cables and yes the lights stay steady green , so even with the HU saying no units found I turned on the light console in the HU and manually turned on the lights to all 3 controllers and they lit up  so they are receiving commands , tom I will put the 3 controllers back out and tie all the lights back into into it and try running the sequence regardless of wether the HU says it  can find the units or not, as long as the green lights stain steady I should be ok. Ill let you know ! thanks for your input and help 

• The topic was locked