Light-O-Rama Forums

How much rain before you cancel?

LaughsBrightly

Never cancel. If it stops it stops.

I guess, great flood deluge.

Edited by PhilMassey
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LaughsBrightly said:

Wondering how heavy the rain gets before you cancel that night's show?

Ive always wondered why rain would cancel a show.

Mine runs rain (monsoon) , snow or shine.

I also use the rain as an indictor of problems. If it rains and something stops working it would be time to troubleshoot.

Last year my MT got flooded, it never stopped working but this year I raised the base off the ground a few more inches with a trampoline base.

JR

1 minute ago, PhilMassey said:

Never cancel. If it stops it stops.

I guess, great flood deluge.

Ditto, my friend.

I see people here that always posts "the show will shut down if rain". I post, come on over to my show, if its out then its Gods will, but I will not shut it down. If a prop goes out the others will continue until they all go out by end of the show or my mother nature.

JR

Mine goes regardless of the weather.

About the only thing that would stop mine is a power outage - although the show compute would continue to run and attempt to run the show.  All the E1.31 networking would stay up with protected power, and of course the LOR networks do not need power, but none of the controllers are on protected power.  I have a generator, but it would be used for more important stuff like the refrigerator, computers and network, and air pumps for the aquariums (they will live without the filter, but not without air...).

I usually run unless it's a downpour. But for some reason my 35' arches over the driveway go out every time it rains no matter what I do.

I would run in the rain if not for the GFI's that keep tripping!!  ☹️And for some reason it always rains at some point in Dec here in MN.  😖

6 hours ago, LaughsBrightly said:

Wondering how heavy the rain gets before you cancel that night's show?

Nope, never.  Show runs no matter what weather we're having, even if we got a stray hurricane after the season ended, which it did on Nov. 30th, my show would still keep going, even if it blew away, it would still be operating.

5 hours ago, jfuller8400 said:

I would run in the rain if not for the GFI's that keep tripping!!  ☹️And for some reason it always rains at some point in Dec here in MN.  😖

I had that issue my first year, what resolved that for me was using the child proof outlet covers.  Inserted them in all the male pass through plugs{female side} and the end of strand female connector plugs.  Also painted them all flat black so they can't be seen.  Also any plug in triple taps that had an open plug or any extension cord that I made using old male pass through and female ends off old Christmas Lights that had gone bad, but plug and end was good, they also got the child proof caps in them, as well as any triple tap extension cords that didn't have built in covers for unused outlets on them.

On the triple taps or regular extension cords, you may have to cut the child proof cap down to fit between the used outlets.  

Almost forgot, even my CTB16PC Controllers get the child proof caps in each unused channel.  The ones in my controllers are also marked with a silver Sharpie marker so I can see what channel{Dangle} they are in.  My Dangles are also marked with the silver Sharpie as well.

They have worked great for many years, and I have never had another GFCI trip since then.  Matter of fact one of my extension connections fell off their green light stakes, I try to use those to keep connections off the ground, but one connection came out of the stakes and fell into over 6-8 inches of water, the connection was completely submerged, yet the show still ran on, all because I had capped them off with the plastic child proof outlet caps.  I highly recommend them for anyone with a display of any kind, static, light show, etc..

Edited by Orville