Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega Trees (180vs360) (8strings vs 16 strings)

grouptcl

I am looking at building a mega tree for christmas and I am realising that many options are available.

I currently built a 360 rig for 16 strings thus giving a 360 degrees view of said tree.  My question would be: is the 8 front strings (9 really counting the 90 degrees view) sufficient to display images or should I have built a 180 degrees 16 string setup for that purpose?

All you guys with experience, if you were to do it all over from scratch, what would you do ?

I also did a 7 foot diameter fore 8 feet high, is there a better proportion/ration I should have used ?

The sequences you gus are sharing are built for 8/9/16 strings ?

Please advise

Your input is greatly appreciated as I am trying to get this thing up and running in the next 10 days, my 16 strings of 92 light each are ready to put up...

16 strings on a 360 tree would give you poor image quality as the strings are too far apart. As an example, I have a 360 tree but I also have 48 strings. Even a flat ribbon tree has 16 ribbons and it isn't even a 180. The more strings you have and the closer together they are the better the effects.

Edited by Mr. P

22 minutes ago, grouptcl said:

What should be a typical width for a 16 strings tree ?

There is no typical width as there are many factors to consider. I could say the width should be 4' but if your tree is 18' tall then you would have very tall and very skinny tree. Every tree is going to be different. A good ratio is 2-1 with 2 being height and 1 width.

Edited by Mr. P

Mine is a flat tree that was originally built as 12 strings of 50 pixels.  I built it so that the outer strings exactly matched the angle of the edges of the star from the top point.  This photo should make that pretty obvious:

2014_Pixel_Tree.jpg

In 2018, I rebuilt the tree to 24 strings of 100 pixels and increased the lit portion of the tree from 122.5 to 131.7 inches.  But I continued the angle of the original.  In some of the songs, I make use of the angle lining up with the star in my sequencing.  My personal opinion is that images on 12 strings is very limited.

3 hours ago, Mr. P said:

There is no typical width as there are many factors to consider. I could say the width should be 4' but if your tree is 18' tall then you would have very tall and very skinny tree. Every tree is going to be different. A good ratio is 2-1 with 2 being height and 1 width.

The answer of 2-1 ratio is very explicit and very useful

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Mine is a flat tree that was originally built as 12 strings of 50 pixels.  I built it so that the outer strings exactly matched the angle of the edges of the star from the top point.  This photo should make that pretty obvious:

2014_Pixel_Tree.jpg

In 2018, I rebuilt the tree to 24 strings of 100 pixels and increased the lit portion of the tree from 122.5 to 131.7 inches.  But I continued the angle of the original.  In some of the songs, I make use of the angle lining up with the star in my sequencing.  My personal opinion is that images on 12 strings is very limited.

Thanks Jim