Light-O-Rama Forums

Chasing?

Tuke

So I got my lights up and bought some sequences for this year but I'm also teting to do something myself so I can learn the software. 

I'm trying to make the lights on my roof chase themselves but every time I attempt to enter the chase command, I get an error message that says "I must select more than 1 row".

I know when I first got the software and tested my lights and all the channels I could make them chase but no luck doing it now.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help.

what is the set up for your roof lights?  Multiple LED strands connected together and running off a single channel/plug on the controller or are you running smart/dumb pixels/ribbons?  

19 minutes ago, Tuke said:

So I got my lights up and bought some sequences for this year but I'm also teting to do something myself so I can learn the software. 

I'm trying to make the lights on my roof chase themselves but every time I attempt to enter the chase command, I get an error message that says "I must select more than 1 row".

I know when I first got the software and tested my lights and all the channels I could make them chase but no luck doing it now.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Please update your profile so we know what software version and license level you are working with. Help is tailored to what you have as there are different answers to to each level.

32 minutes ago, paulnels said:

what is the set up for your roof lights?  Multiple LED strands connected together and running off a single channel/plug on the controller or are you running smart/dumb pixels/ribbons?  

Multiple LED strands connected together on a single channel.

1 minute ago, Tuke said:

Multiple LED strands connected together on a single channel.

You can't chase led strands on the same port. They are either on, off, fade or twinkle.

19 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Please update your profile so we know what software version and license level you are working with. Help is tailored to what you have as there are different answers to to each level.

Basic Plus with whatever the newest version is. I just bought it last week so 5.3.10.

Just now, Mr. P said:

You can't chase led strands on the same port. They are either on, off, fade or twinkle.

So I would have to run each strand on a separate channel? Bummer!

Just now, Tuke said:

With led strands, yes but the entire strand lights so you would chase strands. You can only chase on the same port with pixels.

Just now, Tuke said:

At least break them into a few

1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 with the 1's on a channel and so forth (Marquis style chase)

Spools of SPT1 and vampire plugs + sockets are your friend  :)

2 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

With led strands, yes but the entire strand lights so you would chase strands. You can only chase on the same port with pixels.

Is that a S5 limit? I had a Gutter chase last year with 1 port on one Pixi4 and 3 on another. Or did I do it the hard way (SE only)?

If I used one strand that was long enough would it work then?

Sorry but being a total NEWB to all this I have no idea what SPT1 and vampire plugs & sockets are LOL

1 minute ago, TheDucks said:

Is that a S5 limit? I had a Gutter chase last year with 1 port on one Pixi4 and 3 on another. Or did I do it the hard way (SE only)?

That was on a Pixie4 which uses pixels. The OP is using led strands.

3 minutes ago, Tuke said:

Sorry but being a total NEWB to all this I have no idea what SPT1 and vampire plugs & sockets are LOL

SPT1 is also called lamp cord that you can purchase at Lowes or home Depot. Many Lighters use it to make their own extension cords as it gets expensive to purchase actual extension cords.

Edited by Mr. P

1 minute ago, Tuke said:

NO. 1 strand has 1 plug

You want many strands.

SPT and vampire plugs allow us to build our own extension cords.  I have a row  of paired candy canes. They run on 2 channels. I just  put  outlets along the cords (1 for Red, 1 for Green)

I'm using 5 strands right now but I only have 1 Show Time 16 channel controller so I don't want to use 5 channels just on my roof so the lights will chase.

14 hours ago, Tuke said:

I'm using 5 strands right now but I only have 1 Show Time 16 channel controller so I don't want to use 5 channels just on my roof so the lights will chase.

Unfortunately that is EXACTLY what you would have to do to get them to chase from 1 to 5, is to put each strand on it's own channel. 

Do you have any open channels on your controller you aren't using? 

If you do, and you have at least 3 channels not in use you could add strands 1 & 2, strand 3, then strand 4 &5, then you could have at least a chase.  It may not look the best since the middle strand is going to be shorter than the others having 2 strands each.  Or if you could add another strand {if you have the room for it}, then 1 & 2, 3 & 4 and 5 & 6 on those 3 different channels.