Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16 Not working, but daisy chained controller works

indi

I'll start off by saying that everything worked last year.

I have a CTB16 (unit ID #2) connected to an ELL. From the CTB16 I have daisy chained my LOR flood light controller to the CTB16. The flood lights work as they are suppose to, but my CTB16 board light just flashes. I think it means it is not receiving commands from my computer. I don't understand how the flood light controller is getting the commands, but the CTB16 is not.

Any ideas?

Thanks

More Input (__Johnny 5)

What speed and mode is the network set at?

What model (and generation) are all the pieces?

CTB16 is a Gen 3

Flood controller I assume is a CMB24 (LOR flood package)

Speed 500

Not running on enhanced 

As I said, worked last year  and running to same show as last year.

Thanks

17 minutes ago, indi said:

CTB16 is a Gen 3

Flood controller I assume is a CMB24 (LOR flood package)

Speed 500

Not running on enhanced 

As I said, worked last year  and running to same show as last year.

Thanks

Can you show a diagram of the network in question? You mentioned an ELL, they can't be on a 500K network.

Just checked network preferences. My bad. Regular network is running 115.4. This is the network that this controller is running on. 

Cables or Jacks

Bent/broken pins, Corrosion

bad cable/plugs.  💡 Get a simple CAT5 cable tester

Are BOTH ELL pairs getting power?   (a line diagram really does help us)

Like: C--CMB24 --ELL-t   ELL-r-- CTB16

I think this is what you are wanting.

This is how I have it connected: Computer (Red adapter)- CTB16- CTB16- CTB16- CTB16- CMB24 --ELL-t   ELL-r-- CTB16-CMB24

The last CMB24 in the chain works fine. The CTB16 that it is connected to does nothing. The light on the CTB16 just flashes. Like it is not receiving any commands. Later when it warms up above freezing, I will go out (now that it's daylight) and see what I can find. I was looking last night in the dark with a small flashlight, but the floods where blinding me.

I do have a cable (cat5) tester, but if the cat5 from the ELL was back, I assume that the CMB24 would be getting a signal. The CMB24 is connected to the CTB16 with a Cat5, so I assume the cable is good, or the CMB24 would not work. Perplexed!!!!

35 minutes ago, indi said:

I think this is what you are wanting.

This is how I have it connected: Computer (Red adapter)- CTB16- CTB16- CTB16- CTB16- CMB24 --ELL-t   ELL-r-- CTB16-CMB24

The last CMB24 in the chain works fine. The CTB16 that it is connected to does nothing. The light on the CTB16 just flashes. Like it is not receiving any commands. Later when it warms up above freezing, I will go out (now that it's daylight) and see what I can find. I was looking last night in the dark with a small flashlight, but the floods where blinding me.

I do have a cable (cat5) tester, but if the cat5 from the ELL was back, I assume that the CMB24 would be getting a signal. The CMB24 is connected to the CTB16 with a Cat5, so I assume the cable is good, or the CMB24 would not work. Perplexed!!!!

Yes, that was perfect.

I also agree that this is probably NOT a cable issue because the CMB on the end.

💡 Cycle the ID switches (they may be dirty)

I know you don't want to do it, but you may need to haul this controller to the PC and check it out with HU, maybe even do a factory reset.

It ma be the RS485 Driver chip is shot (The connectors just pass thru, which is why the CMB is working)

I hope it's not the RS485 Driver chip.

You're right. I really don't want to unplug everything and haul it in to test it, but that will be my last resort. I think I will wait until tomorrow when it warms up to 40 degrees. LOL

Thanks for the input.

2 minutes ago, indi said:

I hope it's not the RS485 Driver chip.

You're right. I really don't want to unplug everything and haul it in to test it, but that will be my last resort. I think I will wait until tomorrow when it warms up to 40 degrees. LOL

Thanks for the input.

I believe the driver may be socketed.

Fellows, I am feeling pretty stupid right now. I found my problem and fixed it.

This is a plain case of being brain dead.

I am using weather proof pigtails for my cat 5 cables. Well from my ELL the cable went to the CMB24, The input cable from the CTB16 was connected to the output of the same CTB16. Found out that won't work.

I think I'm getting too old for this games.

I would like to thank everyone for your responses and suggestions. Hope everyone has a great light show season.

8 minutes ago, indi said:

Fellows, I am feeling pretty stupid right now. I found my problem and fixed it.

This is a plain case of being brain dead.

I am using weather proof pigtails for my cat 5 cables. Well from my ELL the cable went to the CMB24, The input cable from the CTB16 was connected to the output of the same CTB16. Found out that won't work.

I think I'm getting too old for this games.

I would like to thank everyone for your responses and suggestions. Hope everyone has a great light show season.

A loopback plug 👍

I see the test flunked as expected 😛

• The topic was locked