Light-O-Rama Forums

S2 on Another Machine

Tom B.

At this point, having went through all the updates from S1 (old days) all the way to the latest S2 ... I can't begin to imagine how to get the software on another machine so that I can progam/sequence while the show is running later in the season.

Could someone give me the plan of attack?

Thanks,
T.

I just did the same thing. Re-install V1 on your new machine, then apply all the upgrades just as you did on your old machine. You don't have to install each upgrade, just the final one. But you have to have V1 on first before you upgrade.

Always make sure you have a single place for backups. And it helps to make sure the files and folders are in the same places on each machine. So when you copy a sequence/show from one machine and put it on the other, you wont have to go and make your audio connections.

Good:
PC 1 (Sequencer):
Audio Files: C:/Programs/LOR/Audio/song2
Seq. Files: C:/Programs/LOR/Sequences/seq2

PC 2 (Show Runner):
Audio Files: C:/Programs/LOR/Audio/song1
Seq. Files: C:/Programs/LOR/Sequences/seq1

-----------------------------------------------------

Bad:
PC 1 (Sequencer):
Audio Files: C:/Desktop/LOR/Audio/song2
Seq. Files: C:/Desktop/LOR/Sequences/seq2

PC 2 (Show Runner):
Audio Files: C:/LOR/Audio/song1
Seq. Files: C:/LOR/Sequences/seq1

• 3 weeks later...

All of my sequences and audio are under My DocumentsLORetc.. I set the LOR directory as shareable. Since I have a home network, I just drag and drop between machines. You could store all of your sequences on a USB drive and sneaker net it between machines.

• 2 weeks later...

I only have one 16 channel controller, but I have some sequences that I made for 32 channel anticipating next year. It all works the same when transferring the sequences from one computer to another.

I sequence on my HP desktop (Vista), test the controller with the sequence with my Laptop (HP), and show with a 7 year old HP desktop (Win2000) from the garage.

Any sequence changes I still make on the Vista machine as the old desktop in the garage plays the show fine, but the video card cant keep up with the sequence editor when playing it, and forget using the animation.

What I have to do with EACH computeer other thean the VIsta one used for sequencing, is:

After I copy ALL the sequence files, audio files, AND channel setup file on the different computer, I have to run each sequence to get the new file locations and channel setup and animattion file set and saved.

Not too bad I even just did it with 35 sequences I have worked on since November. Everything works and runs fine. I just did a Halloween show for over 3 weeks and it was great.

I had zero problems so far with anyhing I have done.

If I can do it.... so can you....