Light-O-Rama Forums

Anybody notice this change in Holiday Time LED strings?

tlogan

As I was checking my tomato cage trees, each with 2 strings of 50 Holiday Time multi-color LEDs, I had there strings out and no extras. So yesterday, I made ANOTHER run to Wally World to pick up some more. This morning I started stringing them up and the first thing I noticed after checking that they actually work, and stretching them out, is that the lights are spaced closer together. A closer look at the box, compared to a set of 50 from last year revealed this....

y4m3LqSpS55zMfgFydCDZ2Ylpo5O71MHbWk0LY1x   

Anyone else notice this? It's not really a problem as it's wrapped around the cage, but I think if I was using it in long straight line, it might look really off. Look like they cut off a foot a half. I guess saving a foot of wire over a million units adds up.

9 minutes ago, tlogan said:

As I was checking my tomato cage trees, each with 2 strings of 50 Holiday Time multi-color LEDs, I had there strings out and no extras. So yesterday, I made ANOTHER run to Wally World to pick up some more. This morning I started stringing them up and the first thing I noticed after checking that they actually work, and stretching them out, is that the lights are spaced closer together. A closer look at the box, compared to a set of 50 from last year revealed this....

Anyone else notice this? It's not really a problem as it's wrapped around the cage, but I think if I was using it in long straight line, it might look really off. Look like they cut off a foot a half. I guess saving a foot of wire over a million units adds up.

Since is is multi-colored and the other is white, are you sure this difference didn't exist between those two variations from the start?

I've bought strands from the same manufacture in the same year and when I buy one version from another, multl-colored over White, I've noticed the white strands always seemed to be longer than their multi-color counterparts for some reason.  The only time I've seen them the same length is if I purchased them on a spool as opposed to single strand boxes.

Well, no, but the difference exists between the multi- colored from last year and the multi-colored from this year. The lights on this year's multi-color are definitely closer together. That's what made me notice as I started stringing them to connect to last year's that are still in the cages. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the multi-boxes from last year (I use some of the boxes to contain the extra lights, fuses and twist ties that accumulate). 

2 hours ago, tlogan said:

When you go with el cheapo lights - that's what happens. They don't deal with the same factory every year. All lights are made in China - but there are different quality standards at the different plants. HD, Lowes, Wally World tend to go with low bidder to make their lights. So their plant choices change year to year. Even Hobby Lobby. Use the same plant they did when they sold GE brand. But using that same plant when they went private label - well their "pure white" were more blue white than when it was GE  - even at the same plant...  

...or knowing what I heard (and read) about the way Wally World continually pushes for lower prices, maybe this is the way the same factory cut the cost (or at least kept it down after the tariffs went into effect). At least I didn't notice any difference in the look of the lights (but since there are no white, it may not be as noticeable if there is a difference).

Yeah, I noticed this also.  I had a white string go out on my mega tree and when I replaced it, I was about 18" short!  I had  to add another string and double it back into the string to make up the for the shortage.  I haven't looked at it at night but I'm hoping it isn't too noticeable.

THAT'S what I'm saying! So I think that if any of my doubled up, 2 year old 50 light strings on my Mega Tree go out and I don't have a spare from last year (I have some, but I don't know how many) I will just replace BOTH strings and keep the old one that works as a spare. This way, one complete string may look a little different, but I can bury it in the back so it won't be so noticeable.

• The topic was locked