Light-O-Rama Forums

Lights

Tuke

What are the recommended light style to use?

I have a bunch of lights from years passed but not all of them are "multifunctional". Can I still use them to turn on & off during a sequence.

Sorry for the dumb question but I read somewhere that the lights HAVE to be "multifunctional" so I just wanted to verify.

Thanks.

If by multifunctional, you mean they have a controller box with various chases or colors, then they are not ideal for LOR control. They must likely won't, or shouldn't be dimmed, and at best may be turned on at 100 percent. There may even be a delay at turn on in some cases.

You will just have to (cautiously) test them.

If they are, by any chance Martha Stewart brand, they have been reported to catch fire when dimmed.

9 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

If by multifunctional, you mean they have a controller box with various chases or colors, then they are not ideal for LOR control. They must likely won't, or shouldn't be dimmed, and at best may be turned on at 100 percent. There may even be a delay at turn on in some cases.

You will just have to (cautiously) test them.

If they are, by any chance Martha Stewart brand, they have been reported to catch fire when dimmed.

What would you recommend?

Some of what I have have a small "function switch" box and some are just regular plain Jane just on & off.

Thanks for your help.

Like I said, cautiously test them at 100 percent, and if you try to dim them watch for smoke. 

Frankly, if they're incandescent I would junk them and get some LEDs

Bare bones strings, full wave, led strings.

No functions, twinkles or chases.

All the effects are done in the LOR software.

No Martha.

7 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Bare bones strings, full wave, led strings.

No functions, twinkles or chases.

All the effects are done in the LOR software.

No Martha.

Thank you so much!

NOTE: You CAN use your multi-functional lights with the LOR Software, the catch is only FULL ON {100%} and FULL OFF {0%}.  I have some old snowflake lights that have their own controller, and I use them with my CTB16PC Controller all the time.  Not using them this year though, as my display changes from year to year by adding or taking away things I opt to not use or use.

But some strands with a controller will NOT work.  The type NOT to use are those that DO NOT RETAIN or have a PERMANENT SETTING KNOB to keep them on the same setting each time they operate.  If they have a memory option or knob that selects a set operation that will retain their own controller settings during their OFF times {No Power to a channel from a controller}, then they can be utilized, again only FULL ON and FULL OFF in a sequence to get them to work.  If they do have a short delay, and you want to use them, program them for a 1-2 second or more {if needed} time BEFORE they are to turn on in a sequence, this is how you can still use them and keep them in synch with the other lights on the controller.  This does take time, trial and patience to get them where they need to be.

It's not recommended to use them, but it is possible if certain specifications are used to sequence them.

Good Luck and Welcome to the Hobby!

Edited by Orville