Light-O-Rama Forums

Different uses

TEDDER1

Ok I did the math correct hopefully. I wanted to buy one of these to syncronize music and party lights. Circuits can take it according to my calculations.

My questions:

How long can a single session be? 30 minutes? Think batches of preprogrammed music and light displays...

If you hook up a strobe to a channel and slowly increase the power to it... Since it is capacitor based will it start getting faster? Leave them on full and play with power levels for desired pulse frequency...

It can be used as a circuit switch correct? Switch on a fog machine, or a series of fans for an effect of sorts. As long as they dont exceed the amps of the channel...

Could you theorhetically create a halloween fun house where the channels control "animatronics" and light effects?

Ted the rookie.

TEDDER1 wrote:

Ok I did the math correct hopefully. I wanted to buy one of these to syncronize music and party lights. Circuits can take it according to my calculations.

My questions:

How long can a single session be? 30 minutes? Think batches of preprogrammed music and light displays...

If you hook up a strobe to a channel and slowly increase the power to it... Since it is capacitor based will it start getting faster? Leave them on full and play with power levels for desired pulse frequency...

It can be used as a circuit switch correct? Switch on a fog machine, or a series of fans for an effect of sorts. As long as they dont exceed the amps of the channel...

Could you theorhetically create a halloween fun house where the channels control "animatronics" and light effects?

Ted the rookie.

Ted, Somewhat more knowledgeable than I will have to verify these answers, but I don't know of any show length limitations. Last Christmas, mine was about an hour.

I think you may damage the strobes if you vary the voltage. Everyone that I know just uses LOR to trigger them at full voltage.

LOR does not like motors, if you want to control motors, I believe the concensus is to use LOR to trigger a relay.

You can create a sequence to control animatronics and lighting effects. Soon, LOR will be rolling out an interactive mode where different "triggers" will cause the effects to run. Things such as motion detectors, pressure pads, buttons, etc.

the only way i know to control a fog machine is to get the idmx controller and a fog/snow to dmx adapter then you hook the fog in to that it would look something like this

PC/show controller ----------->>>>>> Light orama idmx1000----->>>>>---fog/snow to dmx adapter ------------>>>>>>>>>>fog machine

but like Jeff Millard said the dio 32 controller might run a fog machine as well

TEDDER1 wrote:

My questions:

Ted the rookie.

Hi Ted, I picked up 10 AC relays from electronic goldmine ( http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G16440 ) to use with various projects. One of them was to remotely control my fog machine for my Halloween display.

The way that I did it was to open up the fog machine and figure out how it was triggered in the first place using the wireless remote. I figured out that the wireless remote put a short on a few pins of the 5 pin connector. I then used the relay to do the same thing once 120V from the LOR controller was applied to it. Now, in order to use the fog machine with LOR, a separate 120V source is used to power it up and the LOR controller can be used to trigger it. I essentially now have 2 power cords coming out of the back of the fog machine now. The brown cord is my LOR trigger.

The way that I modded my machine was fairly simple and only cost me about 5 bucks and is specific to my machine which is a 1KW Smoke Machine FZ-940 that I picked up on Ebay about 5 years ago. In theory, you can use these relays to control anything with the LOR Controllers. The DIO32 board may be a better alternative in the future, but I prefer the relays for now.

As far as dimming the strobes, I don't see any sense in that as the strobes won't flash until the trigger voltage reaches about 4KV in a typical unit. As Denny said, you may destroy something, which is cool too!:dude: I just run mine at full power.

Steve

Attached files 158700=9189-100_1538.JPG

Put it this way... if it is a DMX controllable unit... LOR can control it. You just need the iDMX-1000. So that means... foggers, hazers, moving heads, scanners, strobes, color changers, etc., etc., etc. As for animatronics, couldnt tell ya.

PS... for strobes, regulating the power does not control the flash rate. It only makes the strobe malfunction.

A pot' is used to advance the pulse on a strobe. The more power you give the faster it flashes. I imagine it could be configured to use the channel on one of these LOR's.

All these channels do is provide a desired amount of power to a circuit at a programmable level.

I see some items will need a relay as the amp draw would overwhelm the system.

This is some good stuff.

Ted

TEDDER1 wrote:

A pot' is used to advance the pulse on a strobe. The more power you give the faster it flashes. I imagine it could be configured to use the channel on one of these LOR's.

All these channels do is provide a desired amount of power to a circuit at a programmable level.

I see some items will need a relay as the amp draw would overwhelm the system.

This is some good stuff.

Ted

If your strobe has a sync jack, it's possible to have LOR trigger it very precisely. I've done that for 5 seasons now. You just need a power supply, a 120V-triggered relay, and a spare LOR channel. You keep the strobe itself plugged into constant AC power. You could also use a CMB-16D board to do this but I've had my setup years before that board was available ;)

It's pretty cool to be able to flash right on the beat.

-Tim