Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitter

Elizabeth Perrone

How do you hook up a FM transmitter to the computer? I worked on it for 7 hours and still can't figure it out. I need it in kindergarten language to understand exactly where the cords go. I am trying to put up a Halloween light show I got from LOR. I bought the Ramsey FM25B. I need step by step instructions. If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it. Elizabeth Perrone joeelo@surewest.net or (916) 283-4553

Elizabeth Perrone wrote:

How do you hook up a FM transmitter to the computer? I worked on it for 7 hours and still can't figure it out. I need it in kindergarten language to understand exactly where the cords go. I am trying to put up a Halloween light show I got from LOR. I bought the Ramsey FM25B. I need step by step instructions. If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it. Elizabeth Perrone joeelo@surewest.net or (916) 283-4553

This is about as easy as I can make it - head phone OUT from Computer to Input on Ramsey.

Harrison

Elizabeth Perrone wrote:

I did it and it still does not work. All I get is white noise on the FM radio station. What am I doing wrong? I appreciate you helping me. Elizabeth

If you plug speakers in - do you get audio?

How are your Dip Switch Set on the 25B?

Harrison

Hi Elizabeth,

If you have your radio tuned to 92.3 and you plug in your FM25B power supply, can you hear a reduction in noise coming from your radio? In other words, does the radio go from static to a quiet hum and then back to static if you unplug your transmitter?

This is just a quick test to see if your transmitter is actually transmitting and on the correct frequency. Depending on how "noisy" 92.3 is in your area you may not hear too much of a difference, but you should hear something noticeable.

Steve

Do you have the volume enabled in Windows ?

Can you plug a regular set of headphones into this same jack
(on the computer) and hear something?

If you can hear, then you have a transmitter problem ... if not, your
have a computer hardware/software issue ...

Yes volume is enabled in windows
Yes I get sound out of the headphones just fine.
There is so much static you can barely hear the music when I plug in the fm25b.
Thanks for helping me. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Perrone wrote:

Yes volume is enabled in windows
Yes I get sound out of the headphones just fine.
There is so much static you can barely hear the music when I plug in the fm25b.
Thanks for helping me. Elizabeth

Have you tried another radio?

Did you build or buy this transmitter?

Harrison

You need to rule out some variables. Try connecting another sound source, such as a portable CD player/iPod/whatever.

Make sure the cable you're using has 3.5" stereo mini plugs on BOTH ends.

You should not get "static" if the transmitter is operating properly, even if there is no sound source. Please also verify your dip-switch settings and make sure your frequency is completely blank.

-Tim

I bought it on ebay. It was assembled and tested. This is the only transmitter I have. I have tried listening on other radios in the house as well as in my car and they are all very noisy with very low music in background. Should I try a new frequency? Thanks again. Elizabeth

When you say that you can barely hear the music, are you referring to your music, or is there music on 92.3 already?

If you are hearing your music but it is in the background of the noise that you're hearing, try tuning your radio up and down to see if maybe the transmitter is off frequency. Also try turning the audio down on your computer and see if the noise still exists. If it does, disconnect the audio cable from the FM25B and see if the noise is still there. If the noise is still there and you are on the correct frequency, then I would suspect that there is something awry with the FM25B itself. Did you buy this kit prebuiit, or did you build it yourself?

Do you have another audio device that you can connect to your transmitter such as an Ipod?

You have already proven that your computer audio is not the problem here, unless it is generating the noise, so what we need to look at:

Is the transmitter really on the correct frequency?

Is the noise coming from the computer?

Steve

To: Tim Fischer, HBomb341, and SBontempo,

Thank you all for helping me. It is working!!! It ended up being the sound coming from my computers speakers. When I turned them down there was no more static and the sound of my music was clear on the radio.

Thank you so so so so so much!!!

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Perrone wrote:

Thank you all for helping me. It is working!!! It ended up being the sound coming from my computers speakers. When I turned them down there was no more static and the sound of my music was clear on the radio.

Elizabeth

No Problem - Glad you were able to fix it.

Harrison

Elizabeth Perrone wrote:

Elizabeth

It sounds like you're plugging the transmitter into your speakers? You should probably instead plug the transmitter directly into the PC (where your speakers currently plug in). You an then plug the speakers into the other port on the back of the Ramsey. That way you can adjust the speaker volume independently of the transmitted volume.

-Tim

Tim Fischer,

I did what you said and it is STILL WORKING! I was afraid to change anything since it was working, but now it is nice to be able to adjust the volume. Before I had the 25b plugged into the headphone jack on the front of my computer. Now I have it plugged into the speaker jack on the back of my computer and the speakers plugged into the out on the 25b. I am so happy it is working. I tried to figure it out for 7 hours yesterday. Thanks again for helping me. IT'S WORKING!!!!!!
Elizabeth

Could catch Tim.

Using the wrong jack could have eventually burned out your transmitter pretty quickly.

Also, get the transmitter as far away from the computer, screen, speakers, printer, scanner ...anything that uses electricity ... you will get a cleaner transmitter without the RF interference.

Also, don't run the cord close by sources of possible interference as well.

Elizabeth Perrone wrote:

Elizabeth,

I am planning on buying a Ramsey also. How is the sound quality and range of the FM25B?