Light-O-Rama Forums

Custom prop question

PJD

I am creating a custom prop (HolidayCoro Snowflake - 24") with 48 pixels.  I used the layout on the back of the snowflake to enter the pixel numbers into the grid.  Now I am wondering if the pixel numbers should actually be based on looking at the snowflake from the front?  It's probably an easy fix if that is the case - I can just flip-horizontal the whole thing - but I can't find anything in the documentation that says one way or the other. 

It is definitely easier to number it from the back since you can see the wires (and in this case, the printed numbers) but I'm suspecting that it should be as seen from the front ....  Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks - PJD

I don't have any HolidayCoro props, but if it were me I'd sequence one of the pixels on the left or right side, turn it on and see if it lights the one I want. If not, flip it.

Once we get things hooked up, yes, it probably isn't that hard to just test it out and see what happens.  Was just hoping that someone happened to know ....  It would be one more thing off the to-do list!

9 minutes ago, PJD said:

Once we get things hooked up, yes, it probably isn't that hard to just test it out and see what happens.  Was just hoping that someone happened to know ....  It would be one more thing off the to-do list!

😳 Node 1 is node 1 wherever in the prop it may be, right. Are you trying to use someone else's sequence?

I just built a 15" HC snowflake with no markings.  Not a good plan on my part. I Already have done a new thread chart in case I have to do it over, every other arm uses the same paths and cross betweens only happen in the 'hub' area. Live and learn. 🙄

71Px  done in SE  (never figured out PE props).  I then mapped the px in SE to another track. In track 1: Right click (each RGB as needed) Tests physical lights on., move it into another tracks lighting-LOGICAL position

Hi TheDucks (I like your picture),

Yes, Pixel 1 is clear, but if I use Motion Effects (I use S5) or SuperStar on it, the direction will matter for things that move across left to right or right to left.  It could get confusing if I try to use a sequence that sweeps across one direction and it ends up doing it the other way because the Preview is reversed 😆

I guess I'll just wait until we get things hooked up - probably this weekend - and just test it out.

Totally unrelated note - I think I came across one of your posts at the Mobile Read forum about Calibre  - it was pretty old but it seems unlikely anyone else would have the same screen name AND picture!

Thanks - PJD

2 hours ago, PJD said:

Hi TheDucks (I like your picture),

Yes, Pixel 1 is clear, but if I use Motion Effects (I use S5) or SuperStar on it, the direction will matter for things that move across left to right or right to left.  It could get confusing if I try to use a sequence that sweeps across one direction and it ends up doing it the other way because the Preview is reversed 😆

I guess I'll just wait until we get things hooked up - probably this weekend - and just test it out.

Totally unrelated note - I think I came across one of your posts at the Mobile Read forum about Calibre  - it was pretty old but it seems unlikely anyone else would have the same screen name AND picture!

Thanks - PJD

Guilty as Charged. 😀

I started at MR as a newbie user. Offered to help Mod the group as I was retired and had time. I help there almost every day  (sorta like the MR version of K6CCC)

OTOH I wish I got sequencing down like I do basic EPUB2   I am a Hardware type

Back to the prop. Aren't most done L>>R, So the Coro back needs to be R>> L

PJD,

Since you are using S5, I'll explain it in S5 terms.

It is important to give consideration to starting points and the direction of pixels *if* you plan to use a Preview Group Defintion other than "Use Preview" Arrangement. This means if you might want to sequence this prop with another Arrangement other than "Use Preview" some thought should be given to how the pixels are arranged. ie Starting pixels, pixel direction, etc.

The "Use Preview" Arrangement does not care where the pixels start or the the direction they travel. In regards to Motion Effects the "Use Preview" Arrangement looks at the prop as a whole from the front, where left is left, right is right, up is up and down is down. If you apply Motion Effects with a movement of left to right, that is what you will see. If you insert this prop into another Group such as your whole yard view, and again use the "Use Preview" Arrangement then All your props will be looked at and Motion Effects applied the same way.

nested.png

If you were to also have a Group setup using the "Nested" Arrangment, then pixel starting points and direction does make a difference because the other Groups look and act on the prop according to the arrangement chosen.

For some in depth info regarding Nested Groups, look at this thread for my Diamond Prop. This prop was designed to take advantage of the Nested Group Arrangement.

Alan...

Edited by default

Hi Default - I really like your videos.  A number of them have really helped me in figuring out S5 :)

After watching this, I tried messing around with my snowflake and made separate "props" for each arm and grouped them, but I don't think it is really worth it for something with so few pixels.  Each arm only has 8 with the entire snowflake at 48.  I could get some different effects, but its probably easier for now to just stick with a single prop and the "Use Preview" setup.

We still don't have this setup for testing it - might manage it this evening, but its more likely over the weekend.  I think even with "Use Preview" that the pixel order I input is going to matter somewhat.  If I use a motion effect that moves from left to right it won't show up that way if I have the pixels reversed in the Custom prop setup.  If I have pixel 12 on the left edge of the grid for the custom prop and it is really on the right edge of the snowflake (when viewed from the front), I think it that left to right effect would end up going right to left.  I strongly suspect that the grid numbers should be based on looking at the prop from the front.  I entered them as viewed from the back, so I will probably need to use flip-horizontal to fix it.

PJD

Just to complete this for anyone who comes along reading this in the future:  The Custom Prop grid is based on you looking at the prop from the FRONT.  If you entered you pixel node numbers while looking at the back of your prop, use "Flip Selection Horizontal" to turn it around.

I found a few minutes this evening to test it out.  My original version of the prop did the motion effect for "Bars Blended" the opposite direction from what I was watching in the preview window.  After I edited the prop and flipped it, the preview matched the real life snowflake.