Light-O-Rama Forums

C9 LEDs Not Working Properly

superslim0five

I have several boxes of C9 incandescent bulbs and I planned to swap the bulbs out with LEDs. After replacing them, I have noticed that 1/3 of the string does not light up. To confirm that it is not the bulbs I have swapped them out with the others on the string that are working and it seems to be the socket that is the issue. I have noticed this on 3 strands so far. Is there a reason why the existing strand will not work or is there something else I am missing?

Look in socket and pry up the bottom contact a little it might  not be making contact with bottom of the new bulbs 

I want to bring something up that maybe TheDucks can answer. I know a string of 100 bulbs is actually two strings of 50 combined together, now if someone has a string of C9 incans and they unscrew the incan bulbs and replace with C9 leds does that bring up an issue? I mean with led strings it is recommended not to cut so how would led replacements affect the strings?

C9's are stand alone 120V.

Broken wire between the last working  and next is my guess. BUT 3 strings. Were they abused? Always the same 1/3! Does not compute

I would look at the center pin like Dennis suggested.

WITH THE CORD UNPLUGGED.  Gently hook the center tab and lift just a bit

Edited by TheDucks

Yep Dennis that solved it. The bulb sizes look the same but apparently not. Once I raised the center contact up a bit for each of the non-working sockets they turned on. Of course, this is labor intensive since you have to keep plugging/unplugging to see if it works but I guess that is the nature of this hobby. Thanks again for the help.

two years ago I replaced all the c9's I had  , ten strings with c9 led replacements from menlon, same problem  some worked some didnt ,  I had to pry up the bottom contact and also the side ,  they ,look great and dim  very well. I also did 20 strings of c7's  . The c7's were the same product and look just like a incan .  Even here in Fort Lauderdale we do  live tree every year and the c7's  are for that tree.   We are from NY and one thing I really miss is going to the tree farms in the catskills and cutting down our tree's  ---BUT putting up a tree in shorts and flip flops does have it's advantages.

David