Light-O-Rama Forums

Total Newb!

Tuke

So I have a 16 channel controller available to me. If I buy the "start up kit" with the software, cables, and the module the laptop plugs in to and the controller plugs in to I should be good to go correct?

2 hours ago, Tuke said:

So I have a 16 channel controller available to me. If I buy the "start up kit" with the software, cables, and the module the laptop plugs in to and the controller plugs in to I should be good to go correct?

You forgot the most important thing:

LIGHTS  

😛 

Welcome to our Addiction.  The Starter Kit will be what you need to make things blink and shimmer. (OK, you need extension cords also ;)  )

This late in the season, you need a couple of ready-to-go sequences. It take a bit of time to learn (to be productive) the software and how things go together.

This is the right place to come for advice  (and unfortunately the worst time.  Everybody is doing the mad rush to get ready for this years show). Still ASK, j it may take a bit longer for someone to get back.  Same goes for the LOR crew,  THEY are shipping out those last minute orders frome when we realize that we miscounted / damaged / can't find  the ONE , must-have piece for this years show..

9 hours ago, Tuke said:

Glad to have you join the fun, strait jackets to the left and ignore the crazed looks from the others...lol! ~~ It sounds like you have a good start.~~But you need LIGHTS !!!

Think in groups of four, four windows, four trees, or what have you...four 4's equal 16...the number of outlets on an AC controller or groups of four on the controllers you have. Most controllers can be divided by 4.

For your consideration, AC lights are the simplest, Dumb RGB - LED strings intermediate complexity and smart pixels the most complex, the LOR networks are fairly easy, and it gets more complex from there with E1.31 (internet) and DMX networking.

These forums are FULL of helpful, crazy people that seem to have lost all common sense and do some wonderful things with lights and music.

We are all here to help.

Jim

Edited by Rockhammer53

On 11/2/2019 at 4:45 PM, TheDucks said:

You forgot the most important thing:

LIGHTS  

😛 

Welcome to our Addiction.  The Starter Kit will be what you need to make things blink and shimmer. (OK, you need extension cords also ;)  )

This late in the season, you need a couple of ready-to-go sequences. It take a bit of time to learn (to be productive) the software and how things go together.

This is the right place to come for advice  (and unfortunately the worst time.  Everybody is doing the mad rush to get ready for this years show). Still ASK, j it may take a bit longer for someone to get back.  Same goes for the LOR crew,  THEY are shipping out those last minute orders frome when we realize that we miscounted / damaged / can't find  the ONE , must-have piece for this years show..

Thank you for the information. The controller I have available to me is an older controller from what I'm told. The model is CTB16PCG3 V3.0.

I've scoured the internet trying to make sure it will work / be compatible with the software suite that comes with the start up kit but haven't had any luck finding information about compatibility.

Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance for any assistance you're able to provide.

Thank you for the info. The controller I have available to me is an older model from what I'm told. It is model CTB16PCG3 V3.0.  I've scoured the internet in an attempt to find any information on compatibility with the "older" controller and the software suite that comes with the start up kit but haven't been able to find anything regarding compatibility. 

Any information you could provide regarding compatibility would be greatly appreciated. 

As far as the sequence and display goes, I'll probably just buy a few this time around until I have a chance to play with the software and learn how to sequence on my own. I did read an article referencing the 4X4 approach and it made a lot of sense to keep the process simple and streamlined. I've also been watching some videos on YouTube so hopefully by Halloween next year I'll have my chops brushed up and be able to design my own display.

Thanks again for the encouragement and any information you may have regarding the compatibility issue.

2 hours ago, Tuke said:

Thank you for the info. The controller I have available to me is an older model from what I'm told. It is model CTB16PCG3 V3.0.  I've scoured the internet in an attempt to find any information on compatibility with the "older" controller and the software suite that comes with the start up kit but haven't been able to find anything regarding compatibility. 

Any information you could provide regarding compatibility would be greatly appreciated. 

As far as the sequence and display goes, I'll probably just buy a few this time around until I have a chance to play with the software and learn how to sequence on my own. I did read an article referencing the 4X4 approach and it made a lot of sense to keep the process simple and streamlined. I've also been watching some videos on YouTube so hopefully by Halloween next year I'll have my chops brushed up and be able to design my own display.

Thanks again for the encouragement and any information you may have regarding the compatibility issue.

The controller you are looking at buying will work just fine as it is a generation 3 controller. Actually that controller is the one you want to purchase as it will work with all of LOR's  software upgrades. Good luck.

3 hours ago, Tuke said:

Thank you for the information. The controller I have available to me is an older controller from what I'm told. The model is CTB16PCG3 V3.0.

I've scoured the internet trying to make sure it will work / be compatible with the software suite that comes with the start up kit but haven't had any luck finding information about compatibility.

Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance for any assistance you're able to provide.

A CTB16PC V3 IS the latest AC controller and can run on an Enhanced network . AFAIK even an old Showtime 3 could run that (just not make it do newer stuff), there is a file they download from LOR so HU detects the newer models) controller.

The starter kit will run 2 dumb lights, type controllers (eg CTB16, CMB24 ).  You need to bump your level to add more DUMB controllers. Smart controllers typically require at minimum, the Highest 2 levels

SCOUR the internet for info?

LOR Documentation  http://www1.lightorama.com/documentation/ is your first stop.

here is the second :)