Light-O-Rama Forums

Where to buy LED or Incandescent lights strands for LOR?

JD.

Hey yall,

Trying to figure out where yall get your compatible LED or incandescent light strands?  I got a few off Amazon and they only work 3/4 of time in the controller test menu.  I am looking for five small strands and maybe a few larger ones as well, also do yall have an idea on where to get extension cords while I am at it?

As for extension cords, I think the most popular is to get bulk SPT1 cable and vampire plugs.  Make your own cables to the length needed.

For lights, there are two major divisions.  Cheep strings from your favorite big box store (avoid Martha Stewart brand as there are reports of them catching fire when dimmed).  Good strings from a couple of sources.

I'm partial to Holiday Light Express -https://www.holiday-light-express.com/

• Like 1

All the LED string lights in my light shows came from Walmart. I have never had any issues with them (knock on wood since I haven't set things out for this year yet). I am switching to the SPT1-wire this year (what to do with this big box of outdoor extension cords) and moving my LOR boxes around to use less extension cord length. I purchased the extension cord reels and vampire plugs from LOR.

Same here….I've had good luck with Walmart lights (except for the string that I'm guessing a squirrel keeps biting bulbs clean off and the completely inexplicable lack of green and red LED net lights at my local stores).

Same with the SPT1 and vampire plugs. And my box of old, heavy cords sits at the bottom of all the other boxes so I don't have to lug it down off the shelf any longer. I think this year I will re-arrange everything to get it on the floor instead of the shelf.

18 minutes ago, tlogan said:

Same here….I've had good luck with Walmart lights (except for the string that I'm guessing a squirrel keeps biting bulbs clean off and the completely inexplicable lack of green and red LED net lights at my local stores).

Same with the SPT1 and vampire plugs. And my box of old, heavy cords sits at the bottom of all the other boxes so I don't have to lug it down off the shelf any longer. I think this year I will re-arrange everything to get it on the floor instead of the shelf.

Ok, ok, next time I go I'll see if my Walmart has red or green net lights for you (only because I don't use them).

• Like 1

Walmart for all LED strings. They are affordable, readily available and always the same mfg in the same box (blue= LED) (red= Incan).

JR

14 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Walmart for all LED strings. They are affordable, readily available and always the same mfg in the same box (blue= LED) (red= Incan).

JR

One interesting note on this. When doing my Bells (see long write-up in my New Props post) the Walmart 100 strings of all white, red, and green had interchangeable bulbs with the same "lockdown" clip on them. Oddly, the multi-color 100 strings had a different clip, though if you pushed them in really tight you could interchange the bulbs which I found strange. I'm talking LED strings.

Thank you all for the quick replies, I will be headed to Walmart this weekend to pick up some new strands.  Are the LEDs dimmable (might be a silly question, but I though I might ask anyway)?

13 minutes ago, JD. said:

Thank you all for the quick replies, I will be headed to Walmart this weekend to pick up some new strands.  Are the LEDs dimmable (might be a silly question, but I though I might ask anyway)?

I dim mine every few seconds in every song. No issues. (and yes, they dim)

W have a store here called Ollie's Bargain Outlet (a LOT like Big Lots, except more and cheaper stuff) that advertised LED Net lights this week, so I stopped in and not only were they a cheap looking brand, but they only had white and multi- color. They also had animated wire-frame doe and baby doe for $5 more than Walmart charges for just the animated doe.  Looked like fewer lights than the Walmart, but I expect that next year I'll re-work all my wire frame deer and re-string with LEDs anyway.

• 1 month later...

I use At Home for many of my LED strings. They have done a nice job of having (most) of them year after year. Gremlins messed up some of my strings this year and they still had in stock 

On 10/30/2019 at 10:26 PM, JD. said:

Hey yall,

Trying to figure out where yall get your compatible LED or incandescent light strands?  I got a few off Amazon and they only work 3/4 of time in the controller test menu.  I am looking for five small strands and maybe a few larger ones as well, also do yall have an idea on where to get extension cords while I am at it?

JD

I just got an email from Holiday Light Express their sale started today, they are one of the best for really good lights, I purchase most of my lights from them at their sales.

Here is a link  https://www.holiday-light-express.com

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2019 at 8:19 PM, Jefffrompawpaw said:

I just found out Holiday light express is only 25 miles from my house.  Vicksburg MI

Two hours from me!