Light-O-Rama Forums

Are network switches OK out in the cold?

PJD

We are getting started with DMX and E1.31 this year.  Currently have 2 pixel trees running for the Halloween show.  At the moment we have a small switch inside by the computer and are snaking 2 CAT6 cables out a sliding door.  We are about to add more pixels to a gazebo out in the yard and ultimately need a better solution than running every cable back through the slider and to the PC switch.

I'm thinking we should be able to put a switch out in the gazebo - waterproofing shouldn't be a problem there, BUT we are in Northern Illinois.  Single digit temps are "normal" and if the dang polar vortex comes again, -20s are certainly possible.  Will a typical switch operate OK in the cold or do we need to plan this to keep all switches inside?  Ideally, in the future, we are thinking one in the gazebo, one in the garage (detached) and one under the front porch and having those 3 locations go back to the switch in the house by the PC.  Clearly all 3 locations would be cold.

The E1.31 network is it's own network and is not connected to the regular house network/internet.  None of our universes come even close to 512 channels - most are only 150, so I'm not particularly worried about traffic.  Each of the DMX controllers have their own IP address and we use unicast.  The AC LOR side of our setup, uses an ELL so we have never had to bother with outside wires before this.

Anyone have any experience with switches outdoors in a cold climate?

THanks - PJD

You will need to look at the temp rating for the switch, but odds are it is not to be used outside in freezing temps. I did find this interesting (but short) reddit thread where someone talks about a terrarium heater with the network switch inside a waterproof housing. That should work. It is about the third message down in the thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/6vl9g6/network_switch_for_outside_use/

I have an outside switch in a weatherproof box that has spent several seasons under my eaves, with no issues. Not as cold as you are here, but we do get snow and frosts in December.

I just use a cheap 6 port TPLink  switch.

25 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I have been using these SockIt boxes out in the yard for years without any issues.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B006EUHT2W/?coliid=I16UC3E70E5VCU&colid=61DMUXRRSCM3&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

We seem to be buying the same stuff from the big A.

I used mine for the 3-way  (triange shaped) extension.

If you LEAVE the switch ON, it should do fine in that snug box (put the wall wort in there also: Toasty warm) Caution: keep it out of direct sun, warm days could cook things

EDIT Wind Chill is a problem. Use  any Non-Metallic  Box , if water/snow ingress is not a problem

Edited by TheDucks

OK - seems like it is worth a try if we put the switch into a box.  (I kind of like the terrarium heater idea if we need it!)  If the switch just gets flaky at the really cold temps but then is OK when it warms up, we could probably live with that.  December isn't usually when we get our long, deep cold days and if we do, odds are no one is out there watching our show anyway!

I have a Netgear 8 port. switch outside in a 1500 box for the last 5 Christmas seasons never any problems . In Chicago IL area.  Dennis.  

Dennis - Awesome! Thank you for posting.  I am feeling much more confident about putting the switches outside.  We might get a few degrees colder out here in the far Western suburbs, but it can't make that much of a difference.  This year will only have the 1 switch out in the gazebo, so it should be a good test before we spread out and add more.

I was NOT happy to wake up to snow this morning - what is with these early winters?  It better melt, We have Halloween to take down and Xmas to start putting up!

PJD

6 minutes ago, PJD said:

Dennis - Awesome! Thank you for posting.  I am feeling much more confident about putting the switches outside.  We might get a few degrees colder out here in the far Western suburbs, but it can't make that much of a difference.  This year will only have the 1 switch out in the gazebo, so it should be a good test before we spread out and add more.

I was NOT happy to wake up to snow this morning - what is with these early winters?  It better melt, We have Halloween to take down and Xmas to start putting up!

PJD

I am a fan of Netgear PROsafe series (the blue metal ones).  If your plastic ones flake out, consider Netgear. the 10/100 DS/FS series have served me for MANY years (Yes, I have a DS106 with its port reverse button still in service).  Watch for sales. 5port as low as $50

5 hours ago, TheDucks said:

I am a fan of Netgear PROsafe series (the blue metal ones).  If your plastic ones flake out, consider Netgear. the 10/100 DS/FS series have served me for MANY years (Yes, I have a DS106 with its port reverse button still in service).  Watch for sales. 5port as low as $50

OK - I'll write that down in my notes, so if we need to get something better I'll have the information.   A bunch of new stuff (Pixels, (2) AlphaPix4 and some snowflake coro things) are arriving Friday, so we'll probably start experimenting with all this over the weekend.

I've been using some old Dynex 5 port switches, bought on eBay a few years ago used, $5 ea for our LAN. One has been out in the typically unheated/overheated shed, winter/summer up here in Spokane,Wa. accompanied by the server. One other gets dragged around the yard in a Cable Guard-1500 box for the shows, and a third sits on my desk connected to the LAN, the plotter and printer with the wireless link to the net ...nary a hick-up, burp or sniffle in the last 5 years.

If it is outside, protect it with some type of box or cover minimizing connector movement and moisture. In my experience, temperature is the least problematic while the other two, moisture and movement, seem to be the culprits.

YMMV

Jim