Light-O-Rama Forums

For those of you who program 96 or more channels

Guest guest

Ok so this year I have bumped my high goal of 96 channels up to 112, I figure if im gonna do this I might as well really just go all out. 50,000 lights and 112 compute controlled channels.

I am wanting to do a yard grid, and have lines of lights chase across my yard, however I figure spacing of about 1 ft to 1 1/2 ft and this would require me about 75 or 80 lines of lights. Those of you who do these, would I have to use 75 or 80 channels to accomplish my effect.

Also when programming 112 channels. do you use all 112 channels in one sequence.

If you do please give me any tips on programming a sequence with this many channels, because I sat down for about an hour tonight, 30 mins just labeling the channels and colors, and another 30 just playing with effects.

Also in the animation viewer is there a way to overlap objects, say for instance I want my mega tree in the middle of the yard yet I wanna have my yard grid running over it, it erases the mega tree when I put the other lines over it. Maybe in a couple of years when things have settled down at LOR maybe Dan could consider creating layers kinda like in flash.

Anyways please give any and all suggestions.

When you do a layout on the animation viewer, you'll soon learn that getting it close to the way you visually see it in your mind, is sometimes better than laying out the whole thing visually. For example, even though my mini-trees are spread across my yard, on the viewer they're all in a row at the top of my screen. When you do a grid, it may be just as easy to lay out short horizontal lines in the corner instead of overlapping the mega tree. When you program the sequence, then go to view it, your mind will visualize what your yard will look like, even though it may not look the same on screen...

But, that's my humble opinion..

I sync over 200 channels with my display, and will have close to 300 this year. The more channels you add the longer it takes to program. In fact, it seems that the time required to program increases exponentially. Just make sure you start early and leave yourself plenty of time to get the sequences done.

I do what I consider overlaying on my animation screen. The trick is to not use every single "square" when drawing your object. So, for your grid just use every other square or every third square. That leaves empty squares to draw your overlaid objects between the other items. I used this technique to draw my Dancing PC Santa and my musicians. It worked well and allowed me to visualize how they would look before any lights were placed on the house.

Hey Guys,'

Great tips, Yeah that is why I am starting now. Last year with 16 channels I just kinda threw things together in a few days, some timing wasnt that good. Yet the song or two that had really good timing seemed to be everyones favorite, so I am wanting to have really good timing this year.

I'm up to 320 LOR channels myself - I group all of my channels on my spreadsheet / worksheet in advance and build a master template of all of my channels, grouped by display element and color. For example, on my 96-channel mega tree, I'll put all 48 channels of clear lights in order 1-48 (the physical channels are not in order), repeat for the multi-lights on the mega tree, group the bushes, etc.

A second monitor placed on top of the first one really helps as well, as well as a high resolution to help with logical channel grouping. Marty is right on - there is an exponential increase in the amount of time a song takes to sequence, especially as you move past the 100 channel barrier (I had 128 channels in '04, 224 in '05, and 320 this year - it takes so much longer to reprogram the same song as I change up things yearly).

The key is to start early, work on a little every week or two, but don't work too hard until you have a good idea of your layout and amperage loads.

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the tips, I hadnt thought about a second monitor.

I am hopefully going to be going from 16 to 112 channels, just as long as I dont spend my money on other stuff lol.

I agree .. I started with 16 , I ordered one board and did several songs, then recently decided to go to 60 channels and was going to go with that. Then I decided the other day and I ordered 160 channels.

That was all in the last few months I was all static last year ... anyhow I ordered them the other day, to get my commttal way up there... and to say OK this is the way it is going to be. I was always going back and forth and this way and that way. add one or 2 more boards, then I went with my general rule of design, see what you need and double it .. OK it was more then double .. but you get the picture ..

Anyhow I have several sequences for the 16 channels changing to 60 was really not that bad .. but with 160 now .. it is a big difference to convert them. But most of the tracks are layed out so it is a matter of putting them where they belong in the new layout, and filling in the gaps.

I open my 60 channel sequence and save it as 160 channel file name ... then I built the 160 channel annimation screen in the new file and exported it for the other sequences, that way my timing is correct, as you can't copy timings. I built a cross reference in excel (which didn't work all that well) it was OK but the layout is considerably different it did save some time though.

so to convert the 30+ minutes of sequences I have done already, I open the 60 channel sequence, save it as a 160 channel sequence (16 channels are stand alone). Import the 160 channels layout and accept the sequence. move stuff around and add in what I need to.

so we are committed at 176 + channels, and no we are not going to change .. it is this way now and will be until I change my mind again ... *SMILE*

Disclaimer ... newbie notes included your mileage may vary

BTW when do you no longer be a newbie? Is there a ceremony or something I need to attend?