Light-O-Rama Forums

NEED EXTRA USB PORT

sysco

Is it possible to buy an usb port splitter and plug it into one of my usb slots on my computer then will this create additional usb ports to use with my usb connector allowing me to run more then one comm off of that single usb port with the splitter attached? OR will the splitter only recognize one usb port ? An example below.

Image result for usb port splitter

Its called a hub and will give you 4 separate USB ports. However, you would be better to get a self powered one with its own wall wart, to be sure it will provide enough power to the ports. 

3 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Its called a hub and will give you 4 separate USB ports. However, you would be better to get a self powered one with its own wall wart, to be sure it will provide enough power to the ports. 

Hi Phill.

Can you explain more about the wall wart or send me a picture of what exactly you are talking about?

Just a plug in power supply. The one you have a picture of is from Monoprice. It has a power supply. Should work fine.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10931&gclid=CjwKCAjw3c_tBRA4EiwAICs8Cs-PHqKUEODzbPU6lbteKbEhA-Yo0GFnvNEtuEhdukK4ty10cJcLIhoCHf4QAvD_BwE

6 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Just a plug in power supply. The one you have a picture of is from Monoprice. It has a power supply. Should work fine.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10931&gclid=CjwKCAjw3c_tBRA4EiwAICs8Cs-PHqKUEODzbPU6lbteKbEhA-Yo0GFnvNEtuEhdukK4ty10cJcLIhoCHf4QAvD_BwE

That unit is currently out of stock at that link..

And to the OP: What I did was go to a computer repairstore, like one of the small repair centers you find in out of the way places or strip malls, and I purchased an internal USB 5 port Hub.  It has 4 external USB ports and 1 internal USB port.  All ports are powered from the computer motherboard.  But you will need an open expansion slot to add one to an existing system. 

I've been using one in my PC for years now.  You can sometimes pick these up for as little as $10-$15 at times in these small computer repair centers.   But one of these cards shouldn't cost much more than that external hub, and  the best part about having an internal card is if your computer has any open slots for one, is no added adapter to fool with or needing an extra electrical outlet or additional cords to worry about around the computer.

1 hour ago, sysco said:

Hi Phill.

Can you explain more about the wall wart or send me a picture of what exactly you are talking about?

Walmart Black Web 7 port hubs is what I use. They are powered and not very expensive. 

JR

• The topic was locked